Got Scammed

Excentric

Well, I was scammed by a fake marketplace.tf bot. Lost an unusual and almost my whole backpack. Kinda sad, but im not asking for pity. I was also hacked, which is not good. Should steam start restoring items from proved scammers? yes or no?

3 hours ago, Logan said:

Should steam start restoring items from proved scammers?

They'd have to hire people to manually review cases to make sure it really was a scam.  People don't work for free, and that idea doesn't happen without people working, so it's not likely to happen.

It's a simple question of money.  If doing it costs GabeN money, and he can get away with not doing it, then he's going to not do it.

30 minutes ago, 3.50 said:

They'd have to hire people to manually review cases to make sure it really was a scam.  People don't work for free, and that idea doesn't happen without people working, so it's not likely to happen.

It's a simple question of money.  If doing it costs GabeN money, and he can get away with not doing it, then he's going to not do it.

As of a day ago, Gaben was only worth $3.9 BILLION dollars on his own, not including what Valve is worth.  So yea, instead of hiring a few college kids that need a job, they do nothing. Shame of it all is, he is only the 190th richest person in the world. He would be higher if it wasnt for his cheeseburger addiction. https://www.forbes.com/profile/gabe-newell/#75a2bf087da0  🤪

1 hour ago, AncientMemess said:

When They Restored Items, People Abused Them To Get Dupes Of Their Unusuals. So Nah. Just Have Some Common Sense ¯\_(ツ)_/

Why Type Like This 

1 hour ago, AncientMemess said:

So That It Gets Attention (Also Habit From My School Days <_<)

what school teaches kids to type like that...?

on topic,

some stuff it'd be fair for like if your account is hacked/stolen through no fault of your own (i.e. you didn't put your details into a fake site login), but not if you fall for a common trick like a fake bot

3 hours ago, Mrs TS said:

As of a day ago, Gaben was only worth $3.9 BILLION dollars on his own, not including what Valve is worth.  So yea, instead of hiring a few college kids that need a job, they do nothing. Shame of it all is, he is only the 190th richest person in the world. He would be higher if it wasnt for his cheeseburger addiction. https://www.forbes.com/profile/gabe-newell/#75a2bf087da0  🤪

Why u so mean to gabe ;(

Also; people could just "scam" their friends and then boom they both get free items. Unless Valve does something like trade ban (even then that might not work) or delete the scammed items lmao

48 minutes ago, Vrakos Anthrakir said:

what school teaches kids to type like that...?

on topic,

some stuff it'd be fair for like if your account is hacked/stolen through no fault of your own (i.e. you didn't put your details into a fake site login), but not if you fall for a common trick like a fake bot

Im Jus Hyper-Sensitive To First Letter Been Capital. Probably Cus Of Old Grammer Tests Trauma

its 2018(nearly 2019) and people still getting scammed...

im sorry for being crude but go report your scammer,change password and send a steam ticket to help you out...

you aint getting your items back and valve shouldnt give items back even if its a real scammer (unless they can reverse trade)

21 hours ago, Mrs TS said:

As of a day ago, Gaben was only worth $3.9 BILLION dollars on his own, not including what Valve is worth.  So yea, instead of hiring a few college kids that need a job, they do nothing. 🤪

I feel it's only fair to point out the other side of the argument--back when they did restore items, some abused the system.  Even when it worked as intended, it arguably helped a few people at the expense of the community as a whole.

For example, say you have a 1:2 hat worth 500 keys and the other owner gets scammed out of his because of sheer carelessness. 

If Steam restores it for them, suddenly you have a 1:3 hat.  The stolen copy might be dumped for 200 by the scammer, and that buyer might flip it in two days for 250, and that buyer might flip it for 300, and four trades later it's up to 400.  Then the hat suggestion mafia gets wind of all the sales, and put up a suggestion for 300-400.  The other original owner sees the suggestion, thinks it's tanking, and decides to dump his for 350 while he can.  The suggestion gets closed because "you can't price a hat with duped sales", but the damage is done--everyone knows the hat moves below 400, and your previously 500 key hat is competing with two sub-400 key sellers.  Sure, the others are duped...but deep down, most people don't care at all about that when the item looks and functions identically in-game.  Your 500 key hat is now worth less than 400.

Losers in this scenarioYou  (a complete bystander)

Winners in this scenario:  The scammer, the fence, and everyone who flipped the stolen hat for profit, probably knowing it was stolen  (The scam victim could be argued to be in either or both categories, as they win by having their hat restored, but lose by ending up with a somewhat less valuable hat when all is said and done.)

Of course, duping didn't always have such drastic negative effects on bystanders, but it would be hard to argue that it didn't have at least some effect in most or all cases.  You'd also be correct if you said most of the negatives I outlined came from the scam and not the duping, but not all of them--duping a hat can result in two copies hitting the market for cheap, one of which is completely legit, whereas a scammed hat is one copy.

As we continue to see to this day, scam victims are usually some combination of careless, inexperienced, and uninformed.  Do you really want a mechanism in place that helps that sort of person at your expense if you're a person who's put in the time and effort to be experienced, careful, and informed? 

Then you also have to consider that restoring items did absolutely nothing to stop scamming.  You could even argue that it helped scammers in a way--it acted as a safety net, removing the motivation to be careful, resulting in easier targets. 

Truth is, I'm not sure restoring items would (or did, back when it happened) actually have a net positive effect on the community as a whole.

Valve, using the excuse that dupes are bad for the economy wasnt my point.   My point was, Valve is understaffed and with the money they take in, its simply a crying shame.  Surely no one can spend almost $4 billion dollars in their lifetime. The guy is definitely past the midway point in his life so, even with a solid 40 years of life left, he could spend $50 million a year (but lets round it to $52 million a year, which is a $million per week) for the rest of his life, and still have $2 billion left over.   So, the chubby donut eating bastard can surely HIRE MORE PEOPLE that could get a handle on it, track down who got scammed, and reverse it.....even if it took 2 weeks.

Blaming the careless or inexperienced/uninformed people is a cop out. Of COURSE they are inexperienced, thats why they get targeted.  Blaming them is simply laughable. 

Thats like saying a lady getting off a bus at the wrong stop getting mugged is her fault because she should have known she got off on the bad side of town.

But here is the ultimate way to stop a majority of scams............allow every trade to get locked in your backpack for a specific amount of time, and allow either trade partner to reverse the trade.    And here will come the 'it will kill trading' people out of the woodwork.   No, it will kill lopsided trading, sharking and trading involving scams. But yea, why would anyone want to help out the next person, as long as they can turn a profit with shady trade practices.

Archived