Did anyone actually watch the Bill Nye vs Ken Ham debate?

Pyrocide

I watched it. It seemed pretty one sided to me. What did you think?

A lot of what Ken Ham was saying, was in fact, preaching. He offered no solid evidence, he even stated that he would not change his views because he is a Christian, even when presented solid proof.

He kept repeating the same BS and verses over and over like saying it in different tones with something awkward annunciation would change Bill's perspective. It ultimately boiled down to this:

Bill Nye: Ice layers, tectonic plates, carbon dating, fossils, solar system/stars.

Ken Ham: The bible says different.

Yeah. Ken kept referring to the same examples over and over again, which would have been fine except his examples were "Bible this" or "these scientists are creationists too."

I watched it. Ken Ham made me ashamed to be Australian.

Nah, dude, we've got plenty of people like that here. Anyway, I think that Bill Nye won the actual debate, but many creationists seem to be happy with Ken's performance. Either way, to me it seemed like Bill Nye was just trashing the bible and Ken was preaching. Then, we've got a bunch of 11 year old redditors saying "LOL BILL NYE FUCKING CRUSHED KEN" when they didn't watch it and wouldn't understand a quarter of the points either have made. 

Anyway, you can pretty much see the same discussion unfold in youtube comments all of the time. Nothing very interesting.

I just finished watching it and I loved it.

I would say what most people were expecting was a "facts vs facts" debate. Like "such-and-such proves billions of years here is why" then "no, it doesn't, here is why", but there was much less of that and much more ideology, and if you missed that then you missed half the debate. Creationism vs Evolution goes way way beyond Science, it involves history, philosophy, theology, human emotions.

To be short, who do I think won the debate? If you were someone that was expecting a "facts vs facts" debate, then Bill Nye was the obvious victor to you. If you took a more careful look, you would notice that both men held their ground quite well. Nye provided his evidence and reasoning for evolution, and Ham established that modern science is reconcilable with the Bible.

Molecules to man evolution or if I were to water is down as Scientism is a faith-based worldview just as Biblical creationism. Nye makes the statement that if you were to find various evidences to disprove evolution, he would change his mind and the scientific world would be revolutionized by your findings. Scientists would embrace the new evidence and throw out evolution, except that is wrong and that would not happen. Evolution or Scientism is not a scientific theory, it is a faith-based explanation for our origins. If someone found significant evidence that disproves some part of evolution, scientists would not throw out evolution, they would figure out a new way to incorporate that evidence into a evolutionary model of origins. Just think, in the early days of Darwinism and evolution, there were hundreds of problems with it, Darwin himself even admitted it. But when some of the early ideas were disproved, did folks just throw away evolution? No, they came from the assumption or worldview that the earth was old, that it was made by natural processes and that there is another explanation just waiting to be discovered.

@jon, being on the side of science and atheist I have to go with Bill crippling Ham's argument, an obviously biased opinion.

However, I will also agree that looking at it from the point of view of an unbiased viewpoint both men did hold strong with their arguments...in the beginning, later though Ham did not do so well, IMO.

Archived