TF2 Super low tier trading

Mr. Snazzy

I have recently gotten into the trading scene and I'm not too good at it. I have been trading for a while but nothing seems to work. I have 3 ref to trade with and I have tried buying and selling craft hats but that really doesn't work because nobody will even acknowledge that I'm trying to sell something. There are just so many people in super low tier trading and keys cost so much in ref that it just seems impossible to make any profit when people refuse to budge on their prices because a 1 scrap loss at this stage of trading is huge. I also know that there will be people saying "Just buy keys", no. I refuse to spend any more money than I have on this game and I want to try to trade up to my dream unusual which is 400 keys so that might take years to get. Thank you to anybody who tries to help me or even takes time out of their day to post a comment. :)

30 minutes ago, Mr. Snazzy said:

I also know that there will be people saying "Just buy keys", no. I refuse to spend any more money than I have on this game

Buy keys

Trade up to +100% of what you bought (or maybe more)

Sell keys to get same amount of investment

The fastest way.

Otherwise join minecraft trade servers, try to find people you can reverse-broker for. (they want items but aren't good at trading, so you buy it for them for cheaper, and sell to them for an agreed price)

If you're refusing yourself to put some investment then it wouldn't really work out for you, tf2 trading works like a real business; you cannot do shit without having an investment to start with, you either have to save up or loan a bank or someone which is what I did

(since other people already said buy keys/get startup funds but you're trying to avoid that...)

If you're stuck in low tier trading right now, it's not complicated to get those 1 scrap profits.  If you watch the classifieds enough you'll see people selling items (like craft hats) for under what bots are paying.  Jump on those, and then immediately flip them to the bots.

Convert the refined metal into unique weapon on scrap.tf and sell them on marketplace.tf for 0.01 $ each, it takes time but if you sell popular weapons its fast, once you sell 5 weapons, you can buy a ref for 0.05 $,  ths is a huge profit, you are getting 1 metal for 5 weapon. Repeat it till you have enough to buy yourself a key, even the keys are cheap on marketplace.tf.

So basically, if you have 3 refs, its 54 weapons, you sell each weapon for 0.01 $, once sold, you have 0.54 $, you can buy 10 refs for 0.05 $ each. 

5 hours ago, Mr. Snazzy said:

I also know that there will be people saying "Just buy keys", no. I refuse to spend any more money than I have on this game and I want to try to trade up to my dream unusual which is 400 keys so that might take years to get.

Here's the way I look at it. Unless you're using a bot, trading at the refined level is just not worth your time. Even at a bare minimum wage job, you'd be making the equivalent of about 180 refined an hour, or 3 refined a minute. That's why the idea of spending 15-30 minutes or more to get a single scrap profit is considered pointless by most of the community.

Sure, you can eventually go scrap to unusual, but at the end of the day, you'll just look back and ask yourself, "Why didn't I just buy some keys?".

when i got into trading, this will be applicable to you down the road, i dabbled in spells (spell paints/footprints) on popular cosmetics, and damn that made me so much money. in like 6 months i made like 200 keys from starting with like 5-10 keys. Be proactive, instead of looking for listings, find people, search peoples profiles, offer on items even if they are not listed. 

I started at 2 ref myself and believe me it was a nightmare trading up till a key but some real nice friends helped.. once i got to a key it was faster.. spell trading gives a lotta profit but still takes times.. i know u want to avoid this but indeed this is like a business and an investment will do u good in future.. once again.. the same advice.. buy at least 3 keys.. u can get back the value and probs much more later.. also whats ur dream unu?

hope this helps u :)

Try to make smaller goals for yourself for you to achieve on your way to your unusual. On this game and other games I find that splitting up a big goal into others helps me plan on how I'm going to achieve it and set time frames for myself. 

I started in 2012 with scrap banking, when a key was 2.33 ref.  I thought it was tough and tedious then.  If I had to start with scraps now, I'd lose my mind.

2.33 refined today is 12 cents.  lol  Of course, for casual cosmetic buyers, this is fabulous, as you can get yourself a nice inventory for just a few bucks in metal.

I've heard the occasional trader in the past brag about how they started from the bottom with scrap banking and worked themselves into large scale trading and paying their rent with it.  That's a nice story to be able to tell, but that's about it, and it has no cash value.  With just a few bucks investment, you can shave weeks off your journey, and a few bucks more, even better.  For the price of a #2 combo meal, you can get a quality start.

Especially today, the best way is to find some way to put some money into it, even just one key.  One idea is to post ads on the Steam forums and elsewhere that you have 1 key and you're buying a small backpack or "pile of stuff".  Just be very cautious and check prices to make sure you're getting a good deal.

I used to deal heavily in consumables like tags, tickets, decal tools, etc.  Also promo items.  I must have sold a zillion sharp dressers and AWPerhands.  Also sold tons of festives.  Various other things.  Anything likely to move fast or fairly fast.  Today, a lot of that stuff is too cheap for manual trading.  You need a bot.  I'm planning on using bots soon.  I'm brand new to them so I have to learn the ropes.

Good luck!

Archived