GPU questions :)

GotWaffle

Well I'm looking into a new GPU considering my previous one has died on me. Previously I was using a Geforce 750 TI. Nothing to special but it got the job done ya know

Anywaysss, these are the two other ones I'm interested in purchasing, let me know what you guys think (also if you could include the suggested PSU wattage that'd be great)

ASUS Radeon RX 580 (comes with new assassins creed for free which is kinda a plus) - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814126196

EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti FTW - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBHXR8A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

or if you have any other suggestions for most bang for my buck my budget is $200

Thanks all in advanced! I love ya'll!

any psu with a decent 80+ rating and 500 watts should be more then enough for either of those cards. As for which is better that depends. If you have a gsync monitor or use some nvidia specific features then the 1050 ti should do just fine. However to my knowledge a 580 will perform better and is compatible with the cheaper, yet just as good freesync. As well, AMD has competitors to most of nvidias software stuff now.

5 hours ago, GotWaffle said:

I'd go for an EVGA one, I've never had a problem with mine.

Also, the link you gave goes for a 3gb one, which unless you have to, I'd stick with the 6gb one.

A used 1060 would be worth it as long as it wasn't abused. I had a 1060 6gb in my old PC and it was worth every penny, it's a great budget GPU.

1 hour ago, Communist Moose said:

I'd go for an EVGA one, I've never had a problem with mine.

Also, the link you gave goes for a 3gb one, which unless you have to, I'd stick with the 6gb one.

A used 1060 would be worth it as long as it wasn't abused. I had a 1060 6gb in my old PC and it was worth every penny, it's a great budget GPU.

Gigabyte and MSI both also have 1060s and none of them have a history of problems. Honestly I'd just tell him to pick the cheapest of those 3 companies with 6 gbs, since all 3 companies are very reputable.

13 hours ago, Crazyy Cow said:

Gigabyte and MSI both also have 1060s and none of them have a history of problems. Honestly I'd just tell him to pick the cheapest of those 3 companies with 6 gbs, since all 3 companies are very reputable.

Where would you recommend getting a used card, like ebay?

On 10/25/2018 at 11:21 AM, GotWaffle said:

Wouldn't recommend it. RAM and gpu can get dodgy if resold in my experience. Newegg has usually good deals, or go on reddit hardware deals. 

On 10/25/2018 at 12:21 PM, GotWaffle said:

Ebay is a little risky. You're buying from some random person on the internet. While Ebay has a 30 day buyer protection if it is not as described, it still does not out weigh the cons.

If the seller mentions it was used for mining I'd stay away just to be safe. You can't know for sure what voltage it was given, if it was over clocked, what temp it was run at, and also what amount of stress it was put under.

Also if it was manually over clocked not using the provided programs I am pretty sure it would void warranty for some manufacturers. You'd have to look into that companies warranty to be sure though, as I am not 100% sure.

It's a gamble, you might get lucky and get a nice solid GPU or one that will die in 6 months.

Tbh, unless you have a friend who has one for sale, I'd save up the difference and get a new one. That way you have the warranty, you know it's brand new and not toyed with, and if something goes wrong you have customer service.

I agree with Crazyy Cow, Newegg is a great place to go. They also have great customer service.

On 10/25/2018 at 6:27 AM, Kimika-chan said:

get a 1060.

get a used 1060 for 200~220 and its so much more worth it.

I agree with u but not that graph lmao. I have a 1060 6gb and most games im getting minimum 90 on max settings (bo4, for honor, siege, etc, other high intensive games i guess, 300+ on tf2, 210 on csgo)

On 10/26/2018 at 8:14 PM, JayTee said:

I agree with u but not that graph lmao. I have a 1060 6gb and most games im getting minimum 90 on max settings (bo4, for honor, siege, etc, other high intensive games i guess, 300+ on tf2, 210 on csgo)

Have a 1060 as well and can confirm. 250 average on tf2 during matches, 250 average csgo as well. 90 on bo4 at 1600 by 900 and 120+ on fortnite with mostly epic settings.

On 10/26/2018 at 9:14 PM, JayTee said:

Assumes max res.

Its just an average of collection of data. 

Also its a benchmark. Different PC's will result in different results due to other factors.

This takes into a factor alot of games.

Games like Siege for instance have really good optimizations while some games don't have good optimizations

On 10/28/2018 at 10:29 PM, Crazyy Cow said:

Have a 1060 as well and can confirm. 250 average on tf2 during matches

Really? I get between 100-275, it's pretty erratic. What processor do you have?

@GotWaffle What processor do you have? A 1060 6gb may bottleneck it, especially if your processor is older.

7 hours ago, karsty5 said:

Really? I get between 100-275, it's pretty erratic. What processor do you have?

@GotWaffle What processor do you have? A 1060 6gb may bottleneck it, especially if your processor is older.

i7-7700k @ 4.2 turbo'd to 4.5ghz

10 hours ago, Crazyy Cow said:

i7-7700k @ 4.2 turbo'd to 4.5ghz

Ah that makes sense. I have a 7600k. From what I've heard, TF2 is heavily CPU dependent, so maybe I need an upgrade.

On 11/1/2018 at 7:32 AM, karsty5 said:

Ah that makes sense. I have a 7600k. From what I've heard, TF2 is heavily CPU dependent, so maybe I need an upgrade.

yea, i looked on cam and gpu was literally not at a load while cpu was 50%+. Tf2 is very cpu dependant, so a 7700 or 8700 would do quite a bit from that. Also i use an fps config from mastercoms, and usually never run anything in the background.

On 11/3/2018 at 4:46 AM, Crazyy Cow said:

yea, i looked on cam and gpu was literally not at a load while cpu was 50%+. Tf2 is very cpu dependant, so a 7700 or 8700 would do quite a bit from that. Also i use an fps config from mastercoms, and usually never run anything in the background.

Thanks.

Archived