Why does premium search even exist?

Horsestepping

"Searches for Unusual, Strange or Self-Made items require an item definition, to prevent the system from being misused." Why? The specific hat or effect I want can't be specifically searched on the site right now. I have no way of finding people with the item I want (which I thought was the whole point of the premium search function to begin with.)

Is there another service I can use for this? I'm getting pretty tired of Geel's mad quest to develop the most inconvenient and needlessly cumbersome service in human history.

On a related note: I'm looking for the Mann-o-War. If you have one with a Halloween effect on it (preferably a new one) I'll make an offer on it.

gXX99Fn.png

As you already quoted, the limitation is there to prevent premium features being misused, but that's not the thing that's preventing you from searching the new hat.

Steams API is really unstable since they dropped the update and bptf couldn't fetch the new items and put them in their database so it's like they don't exist. Once they got added you can premium search the Mann-o-War in unusual quality and you'll get the wished histories.

3 hours ago, WannaBe said:

As you already quoted, the limitation is there to prevent premium features being misused, but that's not the thing that's preventing you from searching the new hat.

Steams API is really unstable since they dropped the update and bptf couldn't fetch the new items and put them in their database so it's like they don't exist. Once they got added you can premium search the Mann-o-War in unusual quality and you'll get the wished histories.

I'm searching for items that should exist and the tool still rejects queries. How much more specific do I need to get before this works?

gWyE7bc.png

14 hours ago, Horsestepping said:

-

As explained in the error message

image.png.71d9a531cae868e715ae3275fec88996.png

This was added because, for example, scammers using premium to find any new unboxes and then scamming them

6 hours ago, Zeus_Junior said:

As explained in the error message

image.png.71d9a531cae868e715ae3275fec88996.png

This was added because, for example, scammers using premium to find any new unboxes and then scamming them

This restriction hasn't actually fixed anything. The site still crawls every backpack possible and makes info about unusual hats public. A scammer might not be able to search every hat at once but he can easily do it for a single effect or class, then do exactly whatever nefarious thing he was planning. This is to say nothing about hats like the HOUWAR or Caribou, specific craft numbers, etc.

Or maybe it has fixed the issue, since I can't use the thing at all no matter how specific I make my search. 

2 minutes ago, Horsestepping said:

This restriction hasn't actually fixed anything. The site still crawls every backpack possible and makes info about unusual hats public. A scammer might not be able to search every hat at once but he can easily do it for a single effect or class, then do exactly whatever nefarious thing he was planning. This is to say nothing about hats like the HOUWAR or Caribou, specific craft numbers, etc.

Or maybe it has fixed the issue, since I can't use the thing at all no matter how specific I make my search. 

Looking at this: image.png.6c3b1e25c38d3d1ab10f29655702f472.png

The search isn't very specific, its just any unusual with this effect.
Add a hat and your problem is fixed

48 minutes ago, Zeus_Junior said:

Looking at this: image.png.6c3b1e25c38d3d1ab10f29655702f472.png

The search isn't very specific, its just any unusual with this effect.
Add a hat and your problem is fixed

Pointless. If I wanted to do that I could go to a specific hat/effect combo and click the Search tool there. You can still find owners and "misuse" them to your heart's content.

I never understood why "scammers using premium" was EVER a problem.  If they're a scammer, then they'll get banned from bp.tf so they won't get to use premium for very long, if at all.

Meanwhile, the search restriction is pretty much a middle finger to those of us who are effect collectors.  Especially those of us who had years of premium subscription before giving up on it.  <shrug>

3 hours ago, E-Arkham said:

I never understood why "scammers using premium" was EVER a problem.  If they're a scammer, then they'll get banned from bp.tf so they won't get to use premium for very long, if at all.

Meanwhile, the search restriction is pretty much a middle finger to those of us who are effect collectors.  Especially those of us who had years of premium subscription before giving up on it.  <shrug>

There is also the issue with Sharks though, which probably is worse since theyre basically untouchable...

If this is annoying to the average user, its probably killing the fothermuckers slowly

Archived