Killstreaker Desirability

MailDaemon

I know there's a significant variation in the prices of killstreakers, but I only have a rough idea how they differ. If anyone could provide some information on this in the form of a reference chart or similar method, I'd be grateful.

I'm also unsure of the role sheens play in this. Some people have said Team Shine is more popular, but aside from that I don't have anything to go off of.

All help is appreciated.

15 minutes ago, Nico said:

I don't know if there's already a poll about killstreaks, but this should give a rough idea (I am honestly interested too, btw)

If you're bothered to go through my shit storm of posts, theres one poll i did like 2-3 years ago on this

Basically team shine and fire horns is considered god tier. Fire horns and deadly daffodil is considered god tier for Aussies. Hypno beam is considered the worst of the lot. You also get extra points if the sheen matches the skin, i.e hot rod on a current event scattergun, or team shine on bloom buffed anything. These tend to add not very much however I bought a pro Aussie knife with daffodil and fire horns and managed to flip it for like 30 keys pure when there were bots near enough 26.

24 minutes ago, Nico said:

I don't know if there's already a poll about killstreaks, but this should give a rough idea (I am honestly interested too, btw)

2 minutes ago, Ninjah said:

Basically team shine and fire horns is considered god tier. Fire horns and deadly daffodil is considered god tier for Aussies. Hypno beam is considered the worst of the lot. You also get extra points if the sheen matches the skin, i.e hot rod on a current event scattergun, or team shine on bloom buffed anything. These tend to add not very much however I bought a pro Aussie knife with daffodil and fire horns and managed to flip it for like 30 keys pure when there were bots near enough 26.

2 hours ago, MailDaemon said:

I know there's a significant variation in the prices of killstreakers, but I only have a rough idea how they differ. If anyone could provide some information on this in the form of a reference chart or similar method, I'd be grateful.

I'm also unsure of the role sheens play in this. Some people have said Team Shine is more popular, but aside from that I don't have anything to go off of.

All help is appreciated.

Heres the worst (according to poll mean green hypno is the worst combo you can have)

Best apparently is team shine fire horns

Villainous Violet > Hot Rod > Team Shine > Manndarin > Agonizing Emerald > Mean Green > Deadly Daffodil

Fire Horns > Incinerator > Singularity > Tornado > Flames > Cerebral Discharge > Hypno-Beam

57 minutes ago, Ninjah said:

I bought a pro Aussie knife with daffodil and fire horns and managed to flip it for like 30 keys pure when there were bots near enough 26.

Honestly, Manndarin -> Fire Horns always were more desirable on aussies, than daffodil. Imo, looks better.
Even considering that, the only combo that is actually pretty much easier to sell above price is TS FH, or just fire horns in general.

Best sheens

Villainous Violet, Team Shine, Deadly Daffodil, Agonizing Emerald

Decent sheen

Hot Rod

Worst sheen

Mean Green

Best streakers

Fire Horns, Tornado, Incinerator, Cerebral Discharge, Singularity

Decent streaker

Flames

Worst streaker

Hypno-Beam

Everyone has different preferences, so you'll get a different answer from everyone.

However, I've spent years trading on the SCM with an emphasis on KS weapons, adding up to thousands of transactions, which has given me a pretty good idea about how the general community views the values of different sheens and 'streakers.

Here's what I've seen from the market as a whole:

Sheens:

Top Tier:  Team Shine. 

It's two colors (both of which look nice) on one item.  Easiest to sell, even if you are asking more.  I always consider getting a TS item from a buy order a solid win--even if it's got a bad killstreaker--and it's noticeably more rare to get one of these than any other sheen.  Indisputably alone at the top in terms of value--plenty of people prefer other sheens, but even people who don't like TS will still generally ask more for it.

High Tier:  Violet, Hot Rod

Lots of people like these.  Either one is fairly likely to sell for more than average.  Still a win to acquire one of these without paying extra.

Mid Tier:  Daffodil

If you're dealing with aussies, it's probably top tier.  Average otherwise.  It's certainly not bad or disliked, but TS, Violet, and Hot Rod are all more likely to sell in less time and fetch a higher price.

Low Tier:  Emerald

Not as many people like green as you might think.  Hard to move. 

Bottom Tier:  Mean Green

Mean Green Hypno-Beams (green beans!) is by far the most common sheen/killstreaker combo that I've gotten from buy orders.  Which is to say, it's the worst possible combo and people are most likely to sell it for bottom dollar.

Killstreakers:

Top Tier:  Fire Horns

It's the largest and most visible effect, so of course it's the most sought-after.  Gives me a solid boner if I get one (of any sheen) from a buy order.

Almost-Top Tier: Tornado

Fire Horns is the stereotypical "best effect", but Tornado is almost as hard to find for a reasonable price, and there's not a huge difference in what you can sell them for.

Mid Tier:  Flames, Incinerator

There's a fairly large gap between the top two and these two.  They're both good effects and plenty of people like them, but they're just not as visible as the top tier, so they aren't valued as highly.

Low Tier:  Cerebral Discharge

I might rustle some feathers by saying CD is low tier, but they're relatively common at buy order prices, and you really aren't able to get more from them.

Bottom Tier:  Singularity

Pro KS items sold for buy order prices are probably 50% Hypno-Beams, 25% Singularity, and 25% all the other effects combined.  Unless it has TS/Hot Rod/Violet sheen, I generally treat these the same as Hypno-Beams (and a lot of other people do as well).

Garbage Tier:  Hypno-Beams

Is really actually not good.  The supply of Hypno-Beam weapons is much larger than the number of people who will pay for them, so there's usually a ton of them sitting around right above buy order prices.

I don't think Singularity is bottom tier @3.50. You can say it for trading that's because there are plenty of them but it looks cool imo. And Emerald is an equivalent of Violet for those of who likes green color.

12 hours ago, Apeiron said:

I don't think Singularity is bottom tier @3.50. You can say it for trading that's because there are plenty of them but it looks cool imo. And Emerald is an equivalent of Violet for those of who likes green color.

Bottom tier isn't saying it's bad, just that there's lower demand for it compared to the others. 

Singularity was actually my favorite effect for a while.  It's a good effect, plenty of people like it, and I personally think it looks better than some of the others for sure.

However, OP was asking about value and overall desirability.  From a value standpoint, my experience is that Singularity gets sold off for rock bottom prices a lot--not as much as 'Beams, but significantly more frequently than any of the other killstreakers.  You could probably call it "underrated" or "undervalued" if you wanted to. 

Emerald is another one that certainly doesn't look bad, but just doesn't seem to sell quite as well as you'd expect it to.  I suspect one reason it doesn't sell great is that there are two green sheens--so even if someone specifically wants green, they still have two options, and can choose the cheaper one.

Archived