Need Help!

VodkaMartini

I have been targeted by around 5 scammers in a span of a week are there any reasons as to that or am I just really unlucky, as pretty much every time someone offers me or adds me to trade its a scammer. Would like some feedback Thanks

It's probably because you have a low tier unusual listed for sale. I'm pretty sure they use a bot to automatically add every user selling unusuals under a certain amount. Why? They tend to be the easiest targets for scamming.

There are various other possibilities, but basically welcome to the club, everyone gets scammer adds.

When you get random adds, especially with no profile comment about why, you should check their account first. Private inventory/profile or little to no TF2 play time are  big red flags.

I get scammer adds all the time now that I own an Unusual taunt. Just block them.

19 minutes ago, ThePickleCat said:

When you get random adds, especially with no profile comment about why, you should check their account first. Private inventory/profile or little to no TF2 play time are  big red flags.

I can expand on this. There are tons of things you should watch out for. I do a short background check on backpack.tf and SteamRep to check for bans. Their inventories are almost ALWAYS private, but I've seriously gotten an add from someone with just a Mann Co. Cap and a Mann Co. Online Cap. Their game time is sometimes private because they don't want people knowing their suspiciously low hours. I started building my inventory up when I had about 250 hours, so if anyone has less than 100 in TF2, it should be an automatic red flag. Lastly, they sometimes have a private profile, which I just block immediately. If they have any sort of ban (VAC, bp.tf, trade ban), no matter what the excuse on their profile (I was hijakced!!!11one), immediately block them. 

I hope this helped!

3 hours ago, VodkaMartini said:

I have been targeted by around 5 scammers in a span of a week are there any reasons as to that or am I just really unlucky, as pretty much every time someone offers me or adds me to trade its a scammer. Would like some feedback Thanks

People who look like easier or easy targets get targeted most. I get 0 scammer adds because my profile doesn't look like I'm new. Not to be a dick but your profile looks fairly targetable. Low tier unusual, low amount of friends, no comments, few groups, few screenshots, low level, no real profile description ect

Never ever trust "My backpack" links on Steam profile, in chat or anywhere else:

image.png.4820ff629227ef8dfc2408160469a876.png

When someone adds you, always start by pasting their Steam Profile URL into https://rep.tf

or just prepending rep.tf/  to the browser address bar:

image.png.8294b7f9642a72f2cccfd82be94c91bc.png

Many traders use various browser extenensions/userscripts to do that kind of check automatically.

14 hours ago, Torb | Elite Spell Trader™ said:

People who look like easier or easy targets get targeted most. I get 0 scammer adds because my profile doesn't look like I'm new. Not to be a dick but your profile looks fairly targetable. Low tier unusual, low amount of friends, no comments, few groups, few screenshots, low level, no real profile description ect

Well, this isn't really the case, I've got like +9 adds from impersonators, bots and gambling site people though it could just be my profile isn't really that flashy

Archived