Valve loves scammers

Hell Killy

alias.jpg

Dafuq? Now you can easily delete your name's history, you don't even have to bother "blacking" them out. 

Okay, "we don't ban users only based on reports" (even if we got over 9000 reports to the same account daily), and now you can easily delete all of your impersonating history. 

Well, since they messed up with that update, when they accidentally have made the opportunity to add festivizer to "default" weapons and australiums (at least this has been fixed) that started a tide of "festive" scam, has led to confusion in SCM and 3rd markets classifieds, and almost ruined a part of economy - after all of this I wouldn't be surprised by anything.

(I stand aside all that shit with CSGO, when they killed 3rd party markets, because many of traders got unexpected ban for using those of them, which "bypassing" 7day ban; not sure this had influence to scammers, but normal traders was punished, well done)

Please go on.

First, they decide to no longer make games

Second, they don't give a crap about some games

Next, they come up with some unoriginal 'Artifact' shit

Finally, they do this, helping scammers

I mean, honestly, are you surprised? Valve wouldn't ban an impersonator even though there is a option to send a report due to impersonation. I am not so surprised

About 10 days ago, maybe more im not sure, one of the most famous tf2 traders Rubi bought some hat from me, before that i commented on his profile to "check offers".  Few minutes after that fake Rubi added me, it was suspicious 'cause i know Rubi and big traders won't add you just like that.  I saw this was fake Rubi and deleted that scammer, blocked and reported him but Valve answered "we can't ban him, bla, bla, bla or something like that".  I was like "WTF they will allow scams", that really pissed me off! I have experience i was cs go trader for about ~2 years but there are new traders, kids and people who dont know about this things and many of them will be ripped off. For cs go trading i can only say that they are really destroyed common trades and fair users, scammers are still big problem and many users were robbed after that stupid update but i think cooldown was added against gambling. 

This name history removal thing is likely the result of privacy laws (e.g. GDPR), you can't blame Valve for that. These privacy laws are great for people with no harmful intentions, but also great for people who do have such intentions.

Also, if you think about it, it doesn't make that much difference, without this you could've changed your name very frequently to remove previous names anyway.

33 minutes ago, MasterMinder said:

it doesn't make that much difference

Sure

But It has made life even easier for frauds, and remind me, what they did to normal users recently. 

You joined to the community, buy some shit on in-game store or scm, then got scammed, asking them for help, but they say... Actually they just doesn't respond. 

You have to know everything about scam, and if you're not careful enough - hah, bad for you, dumbass. It's like as goverment published a book of criminal law, and it's your problem if you can't master it in perfection to protect yourself, and police and courts are exist just to reming you're idiot when you get hurt.

1 hour ago, flirganovski said:

we can't ban him, bla, bla, bla or something like that

Yeah, I have no idea what's the point of reporting system, if it can't lead to anything, as expressly stated in the report window. Gathering statisic for some kind of AI may be, lol.

17 minutes ago, Hell Killy said:

Yeah, I have no idea what's the point of reporting system, if it can't lead to anything, as expressly stated in the report window. Gathering statisic for some kind of AI may be, lol.

There is no point and reports are now completely useless. Kids without experience, new users will have bigger problems now. I reacted very fast when i saw its a fake user, what do you think some kid will do the same? I dont think so, kid or new user will add him, start conversation and probably get scammed. 

33 minutes ago, Hell Killy said:

Sure

But It has made life even easier for frauds, and remind me, what they did to normal users recently.

It's almost like you disregarded the part where I wrote about the privacy laws and that you can't blame Valve for it...

34 minutes ago, Hell Killy said:

You joined to the community, buy some shit on in-game store or scm, then got scammed, asking them for help, but they say... Actually they just doesn't respond. 

You have to know everything about scam, and if you're not careful enough - hah, bad for you, dumbass. It's like as goverment published a book of criminal law, and it's your problem if you can't master it in perfection to protect yourself, and police and courts are exist just to reming you're idiot when you get hurt.

You are right. It may sound controversial, but in the end it is your fault if you get scammed in this case (not saying the scammer is not doing something wrong here). If you are not on top of all the scams going around and you still proceed to trade with people, you are taking a risk, one that you don't have to take. As you said, there is the in-game store and SCM where you can buy items safely, where prices are clear and no dodgy things can happen.

Preventing is better than curing, so naturally Valve is trying her best to prevent scams from happening in the first place. One of the measures they've taken is the 7 days cooldown when you trade CS:GO items for example. While this gives Valve a lot of time to revert back scams, it also makes it hell for the legitimate trades. This is what makes it so complicated: if you want the maximum level of prevention, it's going to be incredibly inconvenient (think of 30 days cooldown for every trade etc., doubt anyone wants that) and if you want everything to be as easy as possible, it's also going to be incredibly easy to scam people. You see where I'm going here? Valve needs to find the sweet spot and thus make compromises and unfortunately when you have to make compromises, not everyone can be happy.

Last but not least, as with almost any legal system, someone is not guilty until proven otherwise, this is the same with Valve banning scammers (or anyone for that matter). Keep that in mind, so next time Valve tells you that they can't ban someone, it's probably that and not that they really want to help scammers.

21 minutes ago, MasterMinder said:

someone is not guilty until proven otherwise

Yes, it's pretty clear, but there is a real conglomerate of very active and very rich scammers, I'm quitely sure Steam get dozens of complaints against them every single day.

Also, clear that everyone is in danger of fake reports, and they must distinguish beetwen. But, again, let's get back to impersonation. When someone make a copy of your account, it's pretty clear what it is.

21 minutes ago, MasterMinder said:

not that they really want to help scammers.

But they're not helping normal users, especially newbies, too. There is not enought info in the Steam itself, they should make some pop-ups or something, like on your first 10 (20, 50, 100, 9000) trades you have notification that there is no such thing like steam admins, item verification, and other old but still fuckin good things.

Btw, they're not banning people for pretending to be steam staff, too. Or, if so, they have been very reluctant to take over.

well tbh,valve has already helped scammers ever since they added 'private profile' and 'private inventory' feature.even some valve employees keep their profile and/or inventory privated...

don't blame vavle they can't do anything, and maybe only thing can do is adding a verified tag like on twitter or youtube for people who have big reputation but i doubt about it because vavle don't want to have responsibility if someone look like trustable is actually a scammer.

anyway ban scammer is almost like useless they can make new account again and again.

2 hours ago, Hell Killy said:

But, again, let's get back to impersonation. When someone make a copy of your account, it's pretty clear what it is.

No it's not. Just because someone copies an account doesn't guarantee that they have bad intentions and are here to scam people. There can be other reasons, like pranking a friend or maybe just someone using the name and avatar of a very well-known user to get a sense of the fame or god knows what other reason.

2 hours ago, Hell Killy said:

But they're not helping normal users, especially newbies, too. There is not enought info in the Steam itself, they should make some pop-ups or something, like on your first 10 (20, 50, 100, 9000) trades you have notification that there is no such thing like steam admins, item verification, and other old but still fuckin good things.

Read what I said here again:

3 hours ago, MasterMinder said:

Preventing is better than curing, so naturally Valve is trying her best to prevent scams from happening in the first place. One of the measures they've taken is the 7 days cooldown when you trade CS:GO items for example. While this gives Valve a lot of time to revert back scams, it also makes it hell for the legitimate trades. This is what makes it so complicated: if you want the maximum level of prevention, it's going to be incredibly inconvenient (think of 30 days cooldown for every trade etc., doubt anyone wants that) and if you want everything to be as easy as possible, it's also going to be incredibly easy to scam people. You see where I'm going here? Valve needs to find the sweet spot and thus make compromises and unfortunately when you have to make compromises, not everyone can be happy.

Of course, they could implement a mandatory 10 hour video guide + an additional 10,000 word text guide about how to not get scammed and many more methods, which would probably result in an all-time low scam rate. However, nobody would actually watch that and it will only piss off the users and make things so inconvenient, just do to a simple trade. Trust me that in today's age, people want things fast (or near instant, rather) and if that's not the case, it annoys people. If you ask me they are doing a decent job with warning you for scammers, such as the alerts and warnings in the trade window (for example: recent name change, recent friend, warning if they have been reported very frequently etc.). But to be honest, these alerts are useless, I'm pretty sure barely anyone reads them properly anyway or at all.

3 hours ago, LegoTonix said:

anyway ban scammer is almost like useless they can make new account again and again.

Sad but true. But if they would block scammers inventories, it would discourage them. Currently they forced to have many accs to deal with another, honest traders and 3rd party markets, rather then to protect their stuff. If you spent some time to talk with many people, find naive, convinced him to give you some stuff, but then you losе it - may be you decide it's not worth it, and try another way.

And now they're bouncing their items between accs, lazily trying to sell them for better price, knowing that they're out of harm.

But to be honest, these alerts are useless, I'm pretty sure barely anyone reads them properly anyway or at all.

This. 😴 You have google, actually, you can easily check the price by copypasting your item's title to the search bar, before exchange it for random craft hat... And you can find more than enough info about frauds. Anyway, I can't watch to the current situation without crying. And our lord Gabe can and should do something... Protect the weak (even if it's a mental weakness) and uphold the good.

Two things I would really love Valve to do:

• just show Steam ID in plain text on Steam Profile. That would at least give a chance to spot impersonator to someone who doesn't know about extenstions/userscripts/rep.tf
  • stop "Stolen API key" scam (very popular these days and very effective). Only Valve can do it and imho relatively easy. First, when API key  is created on your account, Steam should send you a warning email. Second, if you send an offer normally from Steam and in the next few seconds the offer is cancelled and then API key is used to create another offer to a different account with the same name - it's a clear sign of highjacked account and it should be temporarily locked with proper explanation. If only there was a way to get this to Valve devs ...

2 hours ago, Daddy Alex said:

Two things I would really love Valve to do:

• just show Steam ID in plain text on Steam Profile. That would at least give a chance to spot impersonator to someone who doesn't know about extenstions/userscripts/rep.tf
  • stop (extremely effective atm) "Stolen API key" scam. Only Valve can do it and imho relatively easy. First, when API key  is created on your account, Steam should send you a warning email. Second, if you send an offer normally from Steam and in the next few seconds the offer is cancelled and then API key is used to create another offer to different account with the same name - it's a clear sign of highjacked account and and it should be temporarily locked with proper explanation. If only there was a way to get this to Valve devs ...

I have seen evidence of people completely bamboozled by the API hijack scam happening to them so I concur.

14 hours ago, flirganovski said:

For cs go trading i can only say that they are really destroyed common trades and fair users, scammers are still big problem and many users were robbed after that stupid update but i think cooldown was added against gambling. 

TF2 is the forgotten child of Valve

19 hours ago, Diamond jozu said:

lol wtf.this is harder than i thought.now im having second thoughts upon working with valve...

I doubt theyd employ you. No offence. Your "source" for knowledge and information seems a bit dodgey and flakey at times. Like your incistence that opskins was shutting down. It will never shut down. :D

9 minutes ago, Lo-Rez said:

Re: Artifact, I think you might be underestimating the popularity of card games.

I agree with you and i also think trading part of Artifact will be huge. 

6 hours ago, DanielDee said:

I doubt theyd employ you. No offence. Your "source" for knowledge and information seems a bit dodgey and flakey at times. Like your incistence that opskins was shutting down. It will never shut down. :D

my boi,you cannot work with valve unless with a degree and a few years or experience.im still doing my diploma so my option is still open.croteam aint too bad either

20 hours ago, Diamond jozu said:

my boi,you cannot work with valve unless with a degree and a few years or experience.im still doing my diploma so my option is still open.croteam aint too bad either

Make tf2 great again

pls

2 hours ago, LSO said:

Make tf2 great again

pls

well i mean i would but looking at what the company is doing,im having several doubts..altho working in america is good in terms of the money currency, the company doesn't seem promising so thats why my options are open :)

Archived