Scammer insists on using Discord, why?

duckDecoy

Ive got an obvious scammer insisting that we deal through Discord.  Won't discuss anything unless we hook up in discord.

I'm curious - why ?  What's the Discord angle?   Perhaps he will show his screen and navigate to other peoples backpacks to pretend they are his?, naturally I wouldn't be easily able to check as its him doing the navigating.

Or maybe its nothing, but I am curious.  Any thoughts?

Discord also has a voice feature so, perhaps he wants you to do it though voice chat, where you probably can not use as proof of a scam since you cant screenshot it?   Just a thought.

Possible other reasons: 

1. Screenshare allows scammer to send fake bitskins/marketplace bot offer at proper moment
  2. Once you switched to Discord you became more involved and more likely to follow other steps as instructed
  3. Discord might be more convenient e.g. for multitasking or saving logs
  4. Discord will not prevent them from sending links that might be already banned by Valve
  5. Chat will not be avaiable to Valve (in case they do anything to stop scammers)
  6. You will not be able to use the chat (even the text part) in the SteamRep or BP report
  7. If other scam methods fail, maybe they try "download Discord plugin" on you next

1 hour ago, Daddy Alex said:
  1. You will not be able to use the chat (even the text part) in the SteamRep or BP report 

Interesting, why is that?

35 minutes ago, duckDecoy said:

Interesting, why is that?

pretty sure cuz their is no way to confirm its the guy? idk, hard to link up discord to steam..? just a thought, but im not sure.

In some occasions the scammers can pull your IP via Discord or Teamspeak or whatever medium he's trying to talk to you with and threaten to DDoS you. That or they're trying to make you share your screen to make sure the scam is going right. Depends on how much of an asshole the guy is.

most scammers like to use discord to screenshare "their" inventory, so they go to the actual profile they're impersonating and say "yes send me the things and i'll send you the unusual in another trade"

Archived