Scamming bots? What is that?

szyмiв  вuying_cards

What the check is going on with those ones?
This week I was added by like 5 random people which had that "b>unusulas via mp.tf" in name.

After first guy I realised that they're some kind of scamming bots or something but why did that get so common?
Every of them got exactly the same profile descritpion, two of them had even the same names ("Cherry b>unusulas via mp.tf").

Just now, flirganovski said:

Just ignore or block them and you are fine.  :)

Yeah of course, but I'm just curious what are they and why do they have exactly the same descriptions etc

4 minutes ago, szyмiв вuying_cards said:

Yeah of course, but I'm just curious what are they and why do they have exactly the same descriptions etc

Who knows, maybe same user created them all. 

It's not as bad as the steam message you get if you own csgo

Because volvo are very smart and all, they decided to implement the ability to message people in your server that aren't even on your team

SOOOOoooo I got liek 15 steam messages yesterday, all with the exact same link inside it, never clicked and I just ended up auto blocking any messages not from my contacts

Massive pain in the arse to deal with tho

None of the previous replies answer op’s question lol. Here’s what I think:

Either used as a fake marketplace.tf bot, where after being asked to list your unusual on marketplace.tf, the guy asks you to use this bot to deposit. 

Or, could be used in the latest scam that has come to the attention of forum users, where they get your one time key login info and then essentially change the offer right before they confirm it. With so many people listing stuff to maketace.tf, I wouldn’t be surprised if scammers have been making a lot off of this method 

or... could just be the ol’ Phisher boi

14 minutes ago, R3SP4WN said:

Or, could be used in the latest scam that has come to the attention of forum users, where they get your one time key login info and then essentially change the offer right before they confirm it. With so many people listing stuff to maketace.tf, I wouldn’t be surprised if scammers have been making a lot off of this method 

My lil brother lost first cs knife and a high float statrack awp asimov to this very scam. Warned him 3x not to sign into gambling sites, and not to click links in trade windows. Doubt he ever clicked links in trade windows, but just because some cs yter got paid off to promote some gambling site, and the gambling part of the site is legit (as legit as gambling sites get...) doesnt mean they cant use your steam login, or get leaked. Easy ways to prevent this, is rotating your steam password every month or two, and just using the mobile confirmation just to check that its to the person you want to trade with and that theres items in both sides of the trades.

1 hour ago, AJ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

It's not as bad as the steam message you get if you own csgo

Because volvo are very smart and all, they decided to implement the ability to message people in your server that aren't even on your team

SOOOOoooo I got liek 15 steam messages yesterday, all with the exact same link inside it, never clicked and I just ended up auto blocking any messages not from my contacts

Massive pain in the arse to deal with tho

I don't even play cs (well, actually I don't have it installed) and get at least once a day that link. After first one also blocking everything that's not from my friends (except crap.tf bots lol)

Smart Volvo

There is no no need to "rotate password" or anything like that. The rule is simple:

never mix Steam Sign In and Sign Into a Website Using Steam 

(never do them at the same time)

So this is good and safe:

719784091_SignwithSteam-Correct-Good(small).png.95943bef6587bb609b966753b1570a53.png

While this is bad:

211769006_Donotenter(small).png.9a9e1a635c518cdd2bd35e73e121d0b7.png         286998997_SignwithSteam-Phishing-Circled(small).png.8a29405afd77ac1f314185859a1c6e28.png             211769006_Donotenter(small).png.9a9e1a635c518cdd2bd35e73e121d0b7.png

If a website asks you to "sign in with Steam" and you see Steam username/password prompt (2nd screen), there are 3 possibilities:

1) You are being phished,

2) You were not signed into Steam in this browser before,

3) Steam decided to log you out at this exact moment.

Please never think it could be (2) or (3). Just open another tab, go to steamcommunity.com by yourself, sign in if needed.

Go back to other website and try signing in with Steam again. You should see the 1st screen above if it's not a phishing website. 

Btw, the same goes for other sign-with services (Google, Facebook, Paypal payment, etc).

1 hour ago, Daddy Alex said:

There is no no need to "rotate password" or anything like that. 

Woah, that's really helpful. I was always wondering how to identify legit sites. Thanks!

6 hours ago, Daddy Alex said:

There is no no need to "rotate password" or anything like that. The rule is simple:

never mix Steam Sign In and Sign Into a Website Using Steam 

(never do them at the same time)

So this is good and safe:

719784091_SignwithSteam-Correct-Good(small).png.95943bef6587bb609b966753b1570a53.png

While this is bad:

211769006_Donotenter(small).png.9a9e1a635c518cdd2bd35e73e121d0b7.png         286998997_SignwithSteam-Phishing-Circled(small).png.8a29405afd77ac1f314185859a1c6e28.png             211769006_Donotenter(small).png.9a9e1a635c518cdd2bd35e73e121d0b7.png

If a website asks you to "sign in with Steam" and you see Steam username/password prompt (2nd screen), there are 3 possibilities:

1) You are being phished,

2) You were not signed into Steam in this browser before,

3) Steam decided to log you out at this exact moment.

Please never think it could be (2) or (3). Just open another tab, go to steamcommunity.com by yourself, sign in if needed.

Go back to other website and try signing in with Steam again. You should see the 1st screen above if it's not a phishing website. 

Btw, the same goes for other sign-with services (Google, Facebook, Paypal payment, etc).

certain websites would aask you to do like that like even steamrep

14 hours ago, Diamond jozu said:

Every website has the good and safe method if you're already logged into steam on the browser you're using

On 10/3/2018 at 6:17 PM, Diamond jozu said:

even It has the valve corp thingy tag at the beginning of the website, is it still bad ? 

• 3 months later...
On 10/5/2018 at 4:15 PM, Edwinzz said:

even It has the valve corp thingy tag at the beginning of the website, is it still bad ? 

The phishers have gotten clever lately and began to imitate that "valve corp thingy". Instead of opening a new tab in your browser, the site generates a pop-up that just looks safe, but the "valve corp thingy" is not the part of the address bar in your browser, but a part of the site itself.

For maximum safety, I recommend downloading custom browser themes from Chrome/Firefox store that change the appearance of your address bar so you can tell the difference between the fake one and the real one more easily.

If you get randomly added by mutual and others else its prob from there scam bots. else its prob from the top few. they have scam bots. that impersonate very well. for some bizarre reason.... one last test.

Archived