How do you guys protect yourself from scammers?

requiem.

What I do with scammers that add me is I immediately follow them after they add me so that if they remove and block me I can still access their profile to add them to my block list. This always works and makes sure I can keep track of them for later. I only started doing this recently to keep track of them.

I use this method to keep track of the scammer that adds me (I like to waste their time), but I want to know what you guys do. Comment below on what you guys do/what you think I should do.

What I do is very simple, if they’re already banned I just block them.

if they’re not I play along untill I get enough to make a report and get them a bptf ban (+ scammer tag when possible)

well to answer your question here's my answer:

protection:

1.get steam authenticator and steam guard activated

2.use some common sense

3.go on google/youtube or steam forums and check all sorts of scams that can occur on STEAM/not just tf2

48 minutes ago, Diamond jozu said:

well to answer your question here's my answer:

protection:

1.get steam authenticator and steam guard activated

2.use some common sense

3.go on google/youtube or steam forums and check all sorts of scams that can occur on STEAM/not just tf2

I'm talking about what things like Zeus does, I just want to know what you guys do.

1 hour ago, Zeus_Junior said:

What I do is very simple, if they’re already banned I just block them.

if they’re not I play along untill I get enough to make a report and get them a bptf ban (+ scammer tag when possible)

Mostly this, but if their profile screams scammer alt (0-10 hrs in tf2, 400+ dota2, and maybe some cs/csgo hours) I usually just block them immediately.

People might think it is fun to try to waste their time, but if they are somewhat smart, they've added more than just you, and are probably having other conversations at the same time. So you're really just wasting your own time...

58 minutes ago, Nesquik Nibba™️ (✓) said:

It's still funny to waste their time and watch them realize you know what they're doing.

I sent one of them a link to the bptf report i made on them and he just casually kept trying like nothing happened lol

A lot of them now ask to add you on discord, because in most scenarios you cant use discord chat logs as proof for SR ban or backpack.tf ban, so if anyone asks you for your discord, that should be an immediate red flag, that I think a lot of people ignore. Aside from that. I never click any links on any profiles, or in chat message. Always check to see if the steam inventory is private or public, and I usually just have a quick flick through to see if theres anything in there that might indicate that they are an actual trader. Another pointer for scammers is when they have keys in item showcases, because you only need 1 key to fill up both showcases, and I tend to find that actual traders use unusuals or weapons they like instead of just straight up keys. Anyone who says they are from steam isn't. They just wouldnt add you if they actually were. Any form of item verification with exception to backpack.tf history is a straight up scam. Obviously take their steam id and put it into the backpack.tf search bar as well. This will show SR bans but also if they are a scammer fence or something else you need to be careful of, or if they have -reps for dodgy things, but maybe there wasnt enough evidence for an SR report or it didnt fit the categories for an SR report, or whatever.

If you are suspicious of anything and they somehow pass the filter above, then just ask in the #trade-discussion in the backpack.tf discord, people tend to be reasonably friendly and you'll get a quick response often enough.

This is the general guide I work off for identifying scammer, though I will admit, if they are willing to come in discord you can have some proper fun with them, I usually just add them to calls with some very spooky people and just sorta watch them tryna explain how they've hijacked my steam or something.

Hope this helps

I use an aluminum foil hat so that they can't hack into my brain and hijack me to steal my inventory ---

Generally, the moment a low level person who doesn't play TF2 and has barely anything in their inventory randomly adds me and says "Hi sir/hey mate", I just instantly unfriend. Realistically, a *normal* person on Steam doesn't randomly add somebody and say "hi sir." Right!?!?!?

4 hours ago, CAaronD said:

I use an aluminum foil hat so that they can't hack into my brain and hijack me to steal my inventory ---

Generally, the moment a low level person who doesn't play TF2 and has barely anything in their inventory randomly adds me and says "Hi sir/hey mate", I just instantly unfriend. Realistically, a *normal* person on Steam doesn't randomly add somebody and say "hi sir." Right!?!?!?

Yeah, when I waste the scammers' time, they always say "hello mate are you trading your items?"

dont have items worth scamming like me :smart:
but irl, if anyone randomly adds you for trading, tries to link to some gambling site, low tf2 hours but rich af  or anything like that its probably a scammer

When I started trading to recover my loss in a scam a year ago, I started to accepted adds from scammers/obvious potential scammers in order to learn their techniques and schemes to never fall for them again, and it seriously helped me to get an understanding of how to trade safely!

Nowadays I don't accept adds from (or straight up block) scammers/potential scammers when their backpack is private, they have just a couple of hours playtime in games they want 'to buy your unusual via mp.tf', etc.

I think it's this sorta feeling you get after the 100th paypal scam attempt/gambling site offer. ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Common sense

Like I imagine most of us do, I personally spot 99% of scammers just by their conduct. In other words the way they speak to me before they even reveal their actual scam pitch. Most scammers have a very scripted routine vibe when approaching you which you can detect very easily because they are doing the same thing to dozens of people every day. This is assuming they're not just bots auto pasting phishing links in the first place.

Steam profile

You know the drill. Simply take a thorough look at their Steam profile if their conduct didn't give them away yet.

Private inventory? Years of service? Trade ban on record? Cliché fake looking profile info/fake showcases? If relevant community member: Impersonator?

How emotionally and finanicially invested are they in to the account in general? (Item collections, popular artworks, well writen game reviews, competitive medals, renamed items, strange weapon counters, workshop items, inventory value, well arranged inventory, etc. are some of the clues I use). Most scammers don't go further than upgrading their Steam level and buying a background with fitting showcase to forge a legitimate look.

Steamrep

If the above didn't make me confident enough yet, I'd check steamrep and backpack.tf rep. I rarely have to.

Literally don't take any risks

Probably the most underrated way to avoid getting scammed.

If there's a leap of faith involved and you are not 100% about the person you're dealing with, just don't do it. Just don't.

Don't let anybody else use your account under any circumstances

Triple check every link and question the context in which it was presented.

Software stuff and settings

Decent anti-malware/anti-virus software combined with mobile verification and family view.

Strikes me as odd how little people here value their time. "Trolling" them wastes more of your time than theirs, and playing along with the scam to report them is often pointless as they come a dime a dozen. Personally I don't accept invites unless people comment, and most don't have the iq to even read that, so even if I couldn't see them from a mile away, I wouldn't accept. I'd rather spend my time doing something productive than talking to some third world, broken English Russian.

"Trolling" them wastes more of your time than theirs

Never understood people who getting a kick out of it. Most of scammers are boring, stupid and have no imagination. By doing the same thing day after day, they develop a Déformation professionnelle, and your trolling has no effect. 

some third world, broken English Russian

That's hurtful 😒

Archived