Almost Got Scam

Krispywafers

so this morning I was on garrys mod and some random person (who was a community ambassador) added me and said that one of my items were "duped". I was kinda pissed off (bc I was in this situation before and tired) and told him to fuck off and he told me that he was going to trade ban me if I don't show the "steam appeal".

I got some anxiety breaking loose and I was scared, so I just saw the pending trade with the profile named "steam system" or something like that. so I told the guy "I don't trust you" and blocked him.

You did good. No steam admin will ever add you about anything. They will always contact you via the steam support system or straight up ban you.

Posting a link like that doesn't do any good. That's his "custom URL" disguised to look like a "Steam ID", and scammers change them after every person they try the scam on to cover their tracks. If you see "id" in their profile URL, it's not an ID, and their counting on newer traders like you to get tricked.

For guys like this, what you need to do is copy and paste the profile URL into steamrep.com, then look for the "id64" format link - they can't change that one, and it will follow them no matter how many times they change their custom URL. Also, people with custom URLs consisting of random numbers like this are usually scammers, so you can just ignore their friend request and not waste your time if you see one.

2 hours ago, Krispywafers said:

so this morning I was on garrys mod and some random person (who was a community ambassador) added me and said that one of my items were "duped". I was kinda pissed off (bc I was in this situation before and tired) and told him to fuck off and he told me that he was going to trade ban me if I don't show the "steam appeal".

I got some anxiety breaking loose and I was scared, so I just saw the pending trade with the profile named "steam system" or something like that. so I told the guy "I don't trust you" and blocked him.

So you looked at the extremely common "Community Ambassador" badge on his profile? So many people own that badge, it doesn't mean anything. But it's a common scam, "oh your items are duped I need to see if they're tradable". That name is very commonly used by scammers like that, just report and block them.

3 hours ago, Krispywafers said:

You don't have to be scared if someone added you something like example "if you dont give it  i will ban you, i will report you on steam support or i will report you on steamrep" cuz it doesnt makes scene you didnt even do anything wrong. Just call them a dick tbh

On 10/3/2018 at 6:41 AM, Lava said:

Posting a link like that doesn't do any good. That's his "custom URL" disguised to look like a "Steam ID", and scammers change them after every person they try the scam on to cover their tracks. If you see "id" in their profile URL, it's not an ID, and their counting on newer traders like you to get tricked.

For guys like this, what you need to do is copy and paste the profile URL into steamrep.com, then look for the "id64" format link - they can't change that one, and it will follow them no matter how many times they change their custom URL. Also, people with custom URLs consisting of random numbers like this are usually scammers, so you can just ignore their friend request and not waste your time if you see one.

thanks for the heads up. i didn't really known this before and i'll find his ID64

23 hours ago, Krispywafers said:

feel free to give him a -rep

That does nothing. Report brigading also obstruct's Valve's ability to actually find and act on real scammers. If you want to report him somewhere else to warn the community, and you have proper evidence, you should consider reporting to either SteamRep or Backpack.tf. It won't directly affect his account, but he will be branded as a scammer for anyone who properly looks up the profile to see, and any website using our API to autoban upon login.

Archived