How does "cutting classifieds line" ban work?

outterspaces

I'm only curious since I got banned for some hours a while ago.. My listings look fine to me, there isn't any misplaced price as far as I'm aware.. I always use metal calculators to calculate stuff when dealing with keys+metal so I can put the right % and I've never "tricked" people into going for my offer because of a false price.. Commentaries to each offer are usually generic ones.
 Is this an automated process (report and ban) or each case is actually looked into?

If you mouse over the ban, then you'll see it says you were banned for listing an item with a key fraction of .1 instead of .15 to simbolize 1 refined.

.1 keys equaling 1 refined would imply keys are 10 refined.

While .15 keys isn't perfect, its a lot closer. Most mods aren't as concerned about this since its hard to set in place a way of standardizing prices and knowing which unit increments are appropriate, but Chief always did have a low tolerance.

If you mouse over the ban, then you'll see it says you were banned for listing an item with a key fraction of .1 instead of .15 to simbolize 1 refined.

.1 keys equaling 1 refined would imply keys are 10 refined.

While .15 keys isn't perfect, its a lot closer. Most mods aren't as concerned about this since its hard to set in place a way of standardizing prices and knowing which unit increments are appropriate, but Chief always did have a low tolerance.

Not gonna lie, but banning people for .1 is kinda unfair when traders starts recognizing .1 as 1 ref now.

Why are you using mathematics? When keys were 6 ref, .2 = 1 ref at that time, yet it could've been interpreted as 5 ref if you multiply it by 5. It's what traders perceive as 1 ref rather than mathematics. 

I see...

The only 2 'suspicious' items I see are:

Select Reserve Mann Co. Supply Crate #60

(Listed: 1.25 keys* = 8.77 ref = 1 key + 1.77 ref... and I sell for a scrap less - 1 key + 1.66, or the equivalent in metal)

and 

Merc's Muffler

(1.2 keys* = 8.44 ref = 1 key + 1.44 ref ... which is written in the commentary field)

* 1 key = 7 ref

Bare in mind I use metacalculator.tf calc.
I'm not trying to challenge anything here, just want to know what am I doing wrong. These 2 items have been up for trade for like a week now. The rest is just cheap hats and few collector's weps with no prices... 

Not gonna lie, but banning people for .1 is kinda unfair when traders starts recognizing .1 as 1 ref now.

Why are you using mathematics? When keys were 6 ref, .2 = 1 ref at that time, yet it could've been interpreted as 5 ref if you multiply it by 5. It's what traders perceive as 1 ref rather than mathematics.

I said it wasn't perfect. I feel like there's already a topic here on the forums asking for the implementation for the ability to enter each currency separately such that you could list an item for 2 keys and 3 refined instead of trying to convert 3/7ths to a fraction and rounding down or up resulting in a possible ban if reported and acted upon.

I said it wasn't perfect. I feel like there's already a topic here on the forums asking for the implementation for the ability to enter each currency separately such that you could list an item for 2 keys and 3 refined instead of trying to convert 3/7ths to a fraction and rounding down or up resulting in a possible ban if reported and acted upon.

Of course it's not perfect, but I don't see it a good enough reason for a ban when a lot of people truly do see .1 as 1 ref. 

I have seen a topic saying that the separation of the currency fields was in the works for the classifieds. I tend to only report people using .97-.99 instead of 1

I have seen a topic saying that the separation of the currency fields was in the works for the classifieds. I tend to only report people using .97-.99 instead of 1

Usually the ones I report are flagrant. Ones for example that list for 1.1 keys and then the notes say "1 key and 2.33 ref" or somethin like that. 

I see...

The only 2 'suspicious' items I see are:

Select Reserve Mann Co. Supply Crate #60

(Listed: 1.25 keys* = 8.77 ref = 1 key + 1.77 ref... and I sell for a scrap less - 1 key + 1.66, or the equivalent in metal)

and 

Merc's Muffler

(1.2 keys* = 8.44 ref = 1 key + 1.44 ref ... which is written in the commentary field)

* 1 key = 7 ref

Bare in mind I use metacalculator.tf calc.

I'm not trying to challenge anything here, just want to know what am I doing wrong. These 2 items have been up for trade for like a week now. The rest is just cheap hats and few collector's weps with no prices... 

The problematic listing was probably deleted.

And I stopped banning for 0.1 = 1 ref since people complained that two digits are too complicated to use. -.-

since people complained that two digits are too complicated to use. -.-

Ummmm they are....i usually round up just because people are too stupid to deal with multiple digits. 

The problematic listing was probably deleted.

And I stopped banning for 0.1 = 1 ref since people complained that two digits are too complicated to use. -.-

The only 3 items that were sold since the ban are 2 name tags (out of 3 listed for 3.33).. and a Magistrate's Mullet for 1.33, but that might have been before the ban.. not sure.

I didn't touch any other items for the sole purpose of finding the problematic one.

EDIT: Now that I go through the classifieds, I see so many people adding one price and stating another in the commentary. Everyone has their own key price in mind that they use in their calculations. Some consider a key to be 7.33 ref, others 7... 

Almost everyone uses 0.1 key to be 1 refined, which is not of course and I never did that kind of math. Not once. But apparently many people just don't use calculators and type in their prices as they see fit.

I'll be using refined from now on for complex prices like 1.2 keys.. Apparently people can't do simple math nowadays.

didn't fisker say he was working on it?

How am I not banned if you guys ban for .1 type of trades.

I reported you like 30 times, then woifi was all like "blah blah we stopped banning .1 people". Chief is a nice guy however and still bans for it. GG Chief, we lub u (but bring back the boogaloo)

Anyway.. still doesn't make sense to me. I never considered 0.1 keys to be equal to 1 ref, especially since I'm using metal calculator to do the thinking for me. I went through my items earlier today and I noticed the High Five was taken down from my listings.. Can I assume this one was the culprit? It doesn't matter.

If we are going to be banned for irregular pricing, then only 1 key price must be used in the listings, because if not, 0.1 keys may refer to so many things and not one will be incorrect since every price is only suggestive and not set in stone.

I am 110% sure I did not add one price in keys and then ask for another (higher) either in the comment field or during trade. I calculate my key prices in refined using backpack.tf current key price. Some traders may not like this since they calculate their trades in higher key price range. In other words... 0.1 keys may be a different value to each trader.

Besides, buyers should really read the comments on each trade before adding anyone.. In most cases they never do.

If we are going to be banned for irregular pricing, then only 1 key price must be used in the listings, because if not, 0.1 keys may refer to so many things and not one will be incorrect since every price is only suggestive and not set in stone.

I am 110% sure I did not add one price in keys and then ask for another (higher) either in the comment field or during trade. I calculate my key prices in refined using backpack.tf current key price. Some traders may not like this since they calculate their trades in higher key price range. In other words... 0.1 keys may be a different value to each trader.

Besides, buyers should really read the comments on each trade before adding anyone.. In most cases they never do.

No, .1 keys is set in stone. Keys are 7~ ref, so .1 keys is .66~ ref. Sadly the average TF2 trader doesn't understand what a fraction/decimal/calculator is. 

Sellers also shouldn't make listings where the comments and the listed price don't match. 

No, .1 keys is set in stone. Keys are 7~ ref, so .1 keys is .66~ ref. Sadly the average TF2 trader doesn't understand what a fraction/decimal/calculator is. 

Set in stone? Like how? It changes value more often than I change underwear. After all, It isn't pegged to anything. Just because 7 refined is the suggested price here, that doesn't mean people will go for it. Not talking about trolling traders.

Sellers also shouldn't make listings where the comments and the listed price don't match. 

I don't see this happening. Many will list/sell a 1-key worth item for 1 key AND add a comment requiring a slight overpay when metal is used for paying... If I sell a 1-key worth item for 7 refined, I don't really get my key, do I? I get metal and for that metal there's no way I can get a key. Hence many ask for 7.11-7.33 metal, depending on the item (level, demand..etc).... after all, as it so happened in the Mann-Conomy, 100 cents are not worth 1 dollar anymore.

Set in stone? Like how? It changes value more often than I change underwear. After all, It isn't pegged to anything. Just because 7 refined is the suggested price here, that doesn't mean people will go for it. Not talking about trolling traders.

I don't see this happening. Many will list/sell a 1-key worth item for 1 key AND add a comment requiring a slight overpay when metal is used for paying... If I sell a 1-key worth item for 7 refined, I don't really get my key, do I? I get metal and for that metal there's no way I can get a key. Hence many ask for 7.11-7.33 metal, depending on the item (level, demand..etc).... after all, as it so happened in the Mann-Conomy, 100 cents are not worth 1 dollar anymore.

But fractional prices should be based on the current rate of the site.

And those get closed and users get banned for that. But its very common that someone will list something at .99 keys and ask for 1 key; or someone will list at 1 key and ask for 1.5; people will do anything to get to the top of the list. 

OK, so people get banned for cutting lines by using 6.99 refined instead of 1 key as a listed price.. I get that.. I just reported one. I still don't get why was I banned for listing a High Five (I think that was culprit) for 1.15 keys and commenting that I also accept 8 refined. 1.15 keys = 8.05 refined (if 1 key = 7 ref).

Anyway.. I got some of the idea behind the whole thing. Nothing stops an angry trader from reporting people left and right for no apparent reason. I hope these reports are checked before ban is given.

OK, so people get banned for cutting lines by using 6.99 refined instead of 1 key as a listed price.. I get that.. I just reported one. I still don't get why was I banned for listing a High Five (I think that was culprit) for 1.15 keys and commenting that I also accept 8 refined. 1.15 keys = 8.05 refined (if 1 key = 7 ref).

Anyway.. I got some of the idea behind the whole thing. Nothing stops an angry trader from reporting people left and right for no apparent reason. I hope these reports are checked before ban is given.

i'm assuming you listed it as 1.1 instead of 1.15

And yes, they are. 

i'm assuming you listed it as 1.1 instead of 1.15

And yes, they are. 

Can't be.. I had that taunt sitting there for a week at 1.15. It's not the first one I'm selling for 1.15. I'm very thorough with my prices and I double and triple check once the listing is up. Could have been a typo somewhere that I overlooked but that's in the past now. 

Archived