Non-Friend Messages

FlameQ2k

Over the last few days i've been getting multiple messages from scammers that have not even tried to add me as a friend, just somehow directly sending me phishing links through steam. Is there any way to disable messages from non-friends or know how this is happening?

I think it's a feature from the new steam UI update. You can message people without adding them sort of like instagram. I am pretty sure you can disable it in the steam settings.

That's strange, I've never gotten anything like that before. The constant scammer adds are the only thing I get, but getting messages from non-Steam friends of yours is pretty concerning. I would block them if possible but I don't know that much since I haven't heard of this issue before today.

4 minutes ago, Nesquik Nibba™️ (✓) said:

-

It came with the new steam, anyone with a bit of coding knowledge can message / spam anyone.

Since phishers usually randomadd anyone and then spam messages, i guess this is an easier way for them as they dont have to wait for the friend request to be accepted

I have been Getting it all the time i would rather them send me messages without adding me than to add me and not say anything for about a week and then say why did you add me they say i forgot

6 hours ago, FlameQ2k said:

Over the last few days i've been getting multiple messages from scammers that have not even tried to add me as a friend, just somehow directly sending me phishing links through steam. Is there any way to disable messages from non-friends or know how this is happening?

ye me too

12 hours ago, Zeus_Junior said:

There is currently, as far as i know, not an option available to block people that are not on your friends list from messaging you.

You can block anyone who sends a message who isnt a friend. when they first send you the message it will ask if you want to allow or disallow communication. Disallow does exactly as it says on the tin...

15 hours ago, FlameQ2k said:

ya got a phishing link (yo.u.tube) from some allison or something this evening. couldn't find a way to block it. interested to hear if there is one. afaik they use the same method the bots do to send messages when u aren't friends with them. so unless steam disables that ability... we're stuck with it 😕

Archived