Scam Attempt I Have Never Seen Before

Canner

So basically I was chilling on Vatican City and advertising my unusuals, then a trader sends me a trade request. He then states that he would be offering an item worth 19 Keys, which is the craftable 2011 Spine-Chilling Skull but in reality it is the Uncraftable version. He was insistent that it was the craftable version. Once I pointed out that in his backpack it was the uncraftable version, he was quick to cancel the trade and claimed that he had gotten scammed. While I would have believed this,  he didn't like the fact that I looked into the item and so I looked at the history to see if he got scammed. Once I checked I saw that he had purchased the item from a bot selling the item for 2.1 Keys, and in his trust he had scammed someone with the same method. However, since he did this all in a trade window I could not grab any screenshots to report him on steamrep. I personally have seen variants of this trick, such as the festivized scattergun scam, but not with such a minute difference. Hopefully this educates you guys, and if you knew before then great, but I nearly fell victim to this and another person has already fell victim to this.

Note: I am not going to post his profile because I dont want to start a witchhunt, however if a moderator could get in touch with me to help him get banned that would be great

1 hour ago, Canner said:

So basically I was chilling on Vatican City and advertising my unusuals, then a trader sends me a trade request. He then states that he would be offering an item worth 19 Keys, which is the craftable 2011 Spine-Chilling Skull but in reality it is the Uncraftable version. He was insistent that it was the craftable version. Once I pointed out that in his backpack it was the uncraftable version, he was quick to cancel the trade and claimed that he had gotten scammed. While I would have believed this,  he didn't like the fact that I looked into the item and so I looked at the history to see if he got scammed. Once I checked I saw that he had purchased the item from a bot selling the item for 2.1 Keys, and in his trust he had scammed someone with the same method. However, since he did this all in a trade window I could not grab any screenshots to report him on steamrep. I personally have seen variants of this trick, such as the festivized scattergun scam, but not with such a minute difference. Hopefully this educates you guys, and if you knew before then great, but I nearly fell victim to this and another person has already fell victim to this.

Note: I am not going to post his profile because I dont want to start a witchhunt, however if a moderator could get in touch with me to help him get banned that would be great

So the only difference to the "every misinterpretation of an item scam ever" is the craftable/uncraftable tag 

This is a pretty old scam, probably dating back when the skull came out with the craftable and uncraftable versions. If you have chat evidence and screenshots feel free to report the user and a mod will look over your report. However, if you dont have proof of it then a report cannot be made!

Archived