Help with Steam community market

Pief

Hello everyone, i need some help trying to figure out how can i check an steam profile while im buying from the steam community market.

i usually trade low tier stuff, but the struggle comes when im trying to buy some high tier items (like unusuals) cause id like to prevent trading with scammers and things like that.

I hope you can help me with that 😊

1111.png

8 minutes ago, Pief said:

Hello everyone, i need some help trying to figure out how can i check an steam profile while im buying from the steam community market.

i usually trade low tier stuff, but the struggle comes when im trying to buy some high tier items (like unusuals) cause id like to prevent trading with scammers and things like that.

I hope you can help me with that 😊

1111.png

It's not possible to identify users through SCM, and as such, you can't check their profiles if they're scammers. I'm sure you're fine to buy items from SCM without getting marked for trading with scammers, unless you're found to be intentionally buying an unusual from a scammer through SCM.

If you have premium you can do an item search for "X item with Y effect" and check for profiles with matching avatars.

But as Mengh said, if you buy an item on SCM from a scammer you're fine (unless you purposefully do.)

You cannot be banned for buying through SCM from scammers, unless you are doing so knowingly or with intent to find them.

At least, that's my understanding of Da Rulez.

I think that regardless of staying safe from getting banned, id still feel kinda guilty if i get a scammed item, but getting premium seems more appropriate for now

i hope steam can fix that, anyway thanks everyone for help!

2 hours ago, Mengh. said:

It's not possible to identify users through SCM, and as such, you can't check their profiles if they're scammers. I'm sure you're fine to buy items from SCM without getting marked for trading with scammers, unless you're found to be intentionally buying an unusual from a scammer through SCM.

That's where you're wrong kiddo.

I used this video

1 hour ago, Mew2! said:

- snip -

Well, you learn something new everyday. Thanks for showing this neat trick.

From the video, the process looks very tedious, so I whipped up a quick Greasemonkey / Tampermonkey script to make it much easier.

Link: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/372333-scm-seller-profile-checker/code

1. Download Tampermonkey Chrome Extension / Greasemonkey for Firefox.
  2. Go onto link and press "Install this script" and confirm.
  3. Use anywhere on on the Steam Community Market.

There are a couple of flaws with this, being that default and Steam-provided avatar users can't be uniquely identified, so that's one of the problems. Another is that the user must have been cached on steamid.uk somehow in order to be searchable through this method in order to be saved in the steamid.uk database of avatars. Aside from that, it is a pretty decent solution. Good find!

Just now, Mengh. said:

From the video, the process looks very tedious, so I whipped up a quick Greasemonkey / Tampermonkey script to make it much easier.

There are a couple of flaws with this, being that default and Steam-provided avatar users can't be uniquely identified, so that's one of the problems. Another is that the user must have been cached on steamid.uk somehow in order to be searchable through this method in order to be saved in the steamid.uk database of avatars. Aside from that, it is a pretty decent solution. Good find!

They are automatically cached, but their are problems with finding the seller if they have a very vague profile pic like the uber pyro for example

I whipped up a quick Greasemonkey / Tampermonkey script

After watching that video I added the same functionality into my own Steam userscript.

My code (inside  .ready() ) looks kind of like this:

$('.playerAvatar img').each(function(){
	$(this).wrap('<a href="//steamid.uk/avatar-finder/' + $(this).attr('src').replace(/.*avatars\/|\.jpg/g,'') + '"></a>');
  });

Also, a reminder: your userscript only works for first 10 listings.

How do you even make these scripts in the first place lmao

5 hours ago, Pief said:

I think that regardless of staying safe from getting banned, id still feel kinda guilty if i get a scammed item,

Yeah, it's happened to me a few times, finding and grabbing a decent deal on the SCM, then finding out afterwards that I helped feed a scammer's habit. Really dampens the thrill of getting a new hat for the collection.

8 hours ago, Mew2! said:

That's where you're wrong kiddo.

I used this video

Have you actually used that recently?. THey patched and obfuscated the profile IDs ages ago..

7 hours ago, Daddy Alex said:

Also, a reminder: your userscript only works for first 10 listings.

Updated to work with other pages. Thanks for that.

var $ = window.jQuery;
var $ = window.$;

$(document).on("mouseenter", ".playerAvatar > img", function() { // For each of the avatar images on the page,
    $(this).css("cursor", "pointer"); // Let's make the images appear clickable!
    var imgString = $(this).attr("src").substring(69); // We chop off the required string for their avatar image
    imgString = imgString.substring(0, imgString.length - 4); // Take off the .jpg part
    $(this).attr("imgString", imgString); // And make it a part of that image's properties.
});

$(document).on("click", ".playerAvatar > img", function() { // The program waits for our action and when we click on the image,
    window.open("https://steamid.uk/avatar-finder/" + $(this).attr("imgString")); // We open the Steamid.uk page in a new tab, hopefully showing us the seller
})

3 hours ago, DanielDee said:

Have you actually used that recently?. THey patched and obfuscated the profile IDs ages ago..

Have you actually tried it yourself recently?

Archived