Spellbound is an OVERRATED EFFECT.

R3SP4WN

It has come to my attention that spellbound hats are now selling for ridiculous prices. In some cases I have seen the spellbound versions sell for nearly double the price of their burning and scorching counterparts. If you’ve been paying attention to the prices of unusual effects recently, then you should know that spellbound is now the third most expensive effect overall, surpassing “secret to everybody”. Ive done the math, and if the burning team captain does take a massive drop in the near future, Spellbound will take the place of the second most expensive effect.(behind nebula)

So what do you think? Does Spellbound and Arcana deserve it’s proce tag? Or is it just because they are rare and can’t be obtained anymore? Effects like Bonzo, Harvest, Bat, Portal are WAAAY cooler in my opinion.

Clean and elegant effects -- worth it. It's all in the eye of the beholder mate; some people love Bonzo, and some hate it.

Burning Flames... now that's an overrated effect.

3 hours ago, R3SP4WN said:

It has come to my attention that spellbound hats are now selling for ridiculous prices. In some cases I have seen the spellbound versions sell for nearly double the price of their burning and scorching counterparts. If you’ve been paying attention to the prices of unusual effects recently, then you should know that spellbound is now the third most expensive effect overall, surpassing “secret to everybody”. Ive done the math, and if the burning team captain does take a massive drop in the near future, Spellbound will take the place of the second most expensive effect.(behind nebula)

So what do you think? Does Spellbound and Arcana deserve it’s proce tag? Or is it just because they are rare and can’t be obtained anymore? Effects like Bonzo, Harvest, Bat, Portal are WAAAY cooler in my opinion.

I mean..

you might want to take into consideration that there's way too many Unusuals with Burning/Scorching Flames out there, still being unboxed on a daily basis; whereas Halloween Unusuals such as Spellbound/Arcana can only be unboxed on Halloween, which is a damn short period of time, thus making them extraordinarily rare, valuable and desireable.

Spellbound is expensive because there are only 1 - 3 of each hat with the effect. If what you say about the effect being unobtainable anymore is true then this rarity would explain the rising prices.

More to your point: let's do an experiment. Let's say you're playing the game and spot a Sniper in the distance. Did you notice he was wearing an unusual? How about this Sniper? Or this Sniper here? If you're like most people you noticed the Bonzo cloud first, Spellbound glitter second and Nuts last (if at all.) That sweet spot Spellbound occupies between subtle and gaudy is why people are so fond of it, not taking rarity into account. The pleasant rainbow-y colors also seem to appeal far more than it's uniformly-colored sister effect, Arcana.

But then again I love Cauldron Bubbles, so maybe I'm just an idiot and don't know what I'm talking about.

Woah, woah relax guys. This post was intended to create discussion. I apologize if I came off on the wrong note, perhaps I’ll try to stay away from Pyro Joe - esque titles.

5 hours ago, Diamond jozu said:

the reason some were sold more than burning is because of the rarity and existence or you're just jealous because you dont have one.

I find the aethstetic or Arcana and spellbound a little childish, and while cool on their own, have trouble combo’ing effectively with other unusual effects (opinion) So not jealous that I my own one, yet jealous that I don’t have any that I can flip for massive profit. (・∀・)

2 hours ago, Ankle Jack said:

tbh you are really overrated

?.

I'd just like to make my mark here and say that I feel like I had a moderate contribution into spellbound's price rocketing in the past couple years :rolleyes:

It has gone up ever since it came out, but back in summer of 2016 I bought spellbound antlers for 550 keys mixed, held onto them, and resold for a gold pan + 250 keys. They have gone up since that sale, and it seems like spellbound has in general. So yeah.. whenever you have to sacrifice a ton of your backpack value to get one of these swirling purple-blue sparkly beauties, think of ya boi :)

BTW @R3SP4WN all unusual effects are totally opinion based. I personally think that all the moon effects are really boring and lackluster. But when you take a look at their price, apparently not a lot of people agree with me. So if you don't like it, then don't worry about it. (Although I get the feeling that that is not the case.. considering you made a whole thread about spellbound :lol:)

I’m not trying to dethrone spellbound or Arcana, just conveying my personal opinion and wondering whether others agreed with me or not. Also wasn’t sure if everyone else was aware of this obvious shift in the market. And thanks for the small experiment Horsespetting, I kind of see your point now.

1 hour ago, Horsestepping said:

Spellbound is expensive because there are only 1 - 3 of each hat with the effect. If what you say about the effect being unobtainable anymore is true then this rarity would explain the rising prices.

More to your point: let's do an experiment. Let's say you're playing the game and spot a Sniper in the distance. Did you notice he was wearing an unusual? How about this Sniper? Or this Sniper here? If you're like most people you noticed the Bonzo cloud first, Spellbound glitter second and Nuts last (if at all.) That sweet spot Spellbound occupies between subtle and gaudy is why people are so fond of it, not taking rarity into account. The pleasant rainbow-y colors also seem to appeal far more than it's uniformly-colored sister effect, Arcana.

But then again I love Cauldron Bubbles, so maybe I'm just an idiot and don't know what I'm talking about.

24 minutes ago, R3SP4WN said:

I find the aethstetic or Arcana and spellbound a little childish, and while cool on their own, have trouble combo’ing effectively with other unusual effects (opinion) So not jealous that I my own one, yet jealous that I don’t have any that I can flip for massive profit. (・∀・)

I've managed to create (in my opinion) a good combination, using a spellbound pencil-pusher, nebula universal translator, and orbiting planets mining lights :) Creates a nifty universe-esque combination. 

3 hours ago, R3SP4WN said:

have trouble combo’ing effectively with other unusual effects (opinion) 

Gonna disagree as well

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1515507854

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1515511195

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1515512410

I agree they are kinda silly priced. Arcana and spellbound both. However there are quite a few collectors and few hats with these effects. Supply and demand rules. Are they overpriced AF in my opinion? Yes. Do I like the effects? Not personally. I have seen some good combos with them, but imo cloud effects create better combos overall. But at the end of the day, rarity determines pricing. Same with all the halloween bat effects too.

God-tier? not imho, not even close :P  But others obviously think different. The ones who like these effects are just seething with rage over your post tho. gg lol

I collected Spellbound hats for a time before cashing out. Its a rare, beautiful and desirable effect which pairs well with many other effects in the game.

12 hours ago, R3SP4WN said:

Effects like Bonzo, Harvest, Bat, Portal are WAAAY cooler in my opinion.

Bonzo has never been too desirable as an effect.

The bats, though amazing, are bugged as are most of the circling effects in the game where adjusting the height can cause the effect to disappear in game.

If by portal you mean Darkblaze, Hellfire and Demonflame, they are all very desirable (with hellfire and darkblaze actually being sought after more than demonflame)

The thing is, the purple effects in the game pair nicely with lower gen effects. Disco beat down, cloud 9, miami nights etc. It also pairs very nicely with mid and high tier effects. 

The end result is you have an effect that is rare, elegant, pairs greatly with other effects, stands out etc.

15 hours ago, R3SP4WN said:

With a low supply of these unusuals and a high demand, these unusuals are consider underrated (unusuals with the arcana and spellbound effect). Also i feel burning and scorching overrated although they are nice and desirable effects    

Tbh i have never owned burning or spellbound.. but by the looks of it.. it seems burning has become too common while spellbound is rare and is actually cool.. as someone above said .. its all in the eye of the beholder.. for eg.. i myself would prefer harvest moon and nebula over burning .. scorching and even arcana.. but that's just how i see it 😕

Wot?

People paying lotsa money for a bunch of rare kewl pixels hats they like enough to do it? 

HOW FRICKING DARE THEY!

Archived