largest amount you've been scammed out of?

SneakySpinarak

Big mistake for me to see this thread on the front page because now I have to reply.

My story includes 1100 keys and a two-faced jerk that called himself a broker. He did some legit trades that were mostly quicksells, and did so with the only fee being a +rep (something that I now know is a red-flag), and ran off with everyone's items once he got the keys offering that he'd get a discount gold pan. Said "broker" now has his -35 trust and banned profiles across the internet due to collaborating reports, but for some reason he can still go into trade servers that don't check reps and does the exact same scam to morons despite the wealth he just made. And we know Valve will never do anything about mindless trades, so that's never coming back. I wish him pain and/or suffering.

And whoever is going to state the obvious, I know that. Let's stick to the subject.

7 hours ago, KERPKEK said:

Strange Festive Huntsman that I unboxed the day the Mecha update came out when I had no clue the value of anything in this game lol

Mine was similar. Strange Festive Sniper Rifle for a strange medi gun :(( was in my first couple of weeks playing many years ago:(

12 hours ago, The J-Man said:

Big mistake for me to see this thread on the front page because now I have to reply.

My story includes 1100 keys and a two-faced jerk that called himself a broker. He did some legit trades that were mostly quicksells, and did so with the only fee being a +rep (something that I now know is a red-flag), and ran off with everyone's items once he got the keys offering that he'd get a discount gold pan. Said "broker" now has his -35 trust and banned profiles across the internet due to collaborating reports, but for some reason he can still go into trade servers that don't check reps and does the exact same scam to morons despite the wealth he just made. And we know Valve will never do anything about mindless trades, so that's never coming back. I wish him pain and/or suffering.

And whoever is going to state the obvious, I know that. Let's stick to the subject.

axxasin,right?worst thing about it is that he is actually still around here.some of his alts got banned on steamrep lately :(

Well, I was scammed twice.This was all before I have met stuff like backpack.tf or YT channels like Virtual economist or PyroJoe.

First time I sold a Conga I prchased myself from Mann co store for 2 Specialized Killstreak kits, one being for a wrench and 2nd one being for an Air Strike.

Later on when I decided to make my own Strange specialized killstreak item, I replied the killstreak kit first, and then realizing Strangifiers only exist for few exact only. I was like "Damn, they don´t exist?", looking for one like 2 days before giving up. I realized it was a scam aftermy frend told me another 3 or so days after giving up on search.

2nd scam was gifting something to someone who "was" scammed, and feeling sad for him, I sent him Vintage Killstreak SandmanStrange Killstreak Flying GuillotineMacabre Web Mk.II War Paint. 2 weeks later I found out he had a hefty inventory and he wasn´t scammed at all, and Instead was recieving new items without loosing old ones, which means he was doing it for long time already. I´m still kinda lazy to remove him from the friends list.

Like I can at least be happy that I didn´t lose 1300$. I feel sad for you high tier item traders, who lost this much. I can only wish that this will not happen to anyone reading this.

On 9/10/2018 at 7:43 PM, IgnitedSolly said:

1300 keys in fake credit card gifted keys

All keys revoked after a day.

This is the only "acceptable" way of being scammed IMO as its out of your control. That is fraud and Valve should have reimbursed you.

Worst thats happened to me in 25000 trades is:

I listed an item for 2-3 ref and a guy sent me an offer where he sold me the hat instead of buying from me.

This is couple of years ago and I resold both in 30 minutes, but Im still embarrassed about it.

This is the first time Ive talked about and it kinda feels good...... therapeutic (or some other word google had to spell for me)

While I haven't been scammed out of my items directly, 5 years ago I had an older Steam account hijacked with around $100+ in TF2 items and Steam game gifts. Anyone remember the malicious sites going around with the "outdated Adobe Flash Player" update? Yeah, I fell for that. Got RAT-ed (remote assisted trojan). I was busy and tired at the time, but it was still a very dumb thing to fall for. What's most embarrassing is that on my account they messaged everyone they could the link, so I wasn't going to live it down any time soon lol.

In the end, I got rid of the malware, and I was able to recover that account and most of my items, except stuff like trading cards I think? Via Steam support since back then they did a one time reimbursement for that sort of thing, albeit it took them 9 days. It would have been a lot worse if I had left my payment information saved on that account, but some time before this happened I had removed saved payment options as a precaution (was out of paranoia really), and am I glad I did. But yeah, lessons learned, always be careful, especially when you're at your most vulnerable.

Back in 2011 Christmas, I unboxed a TON of festive weapons and some strange festives .  Checking my history, sold 6 normal 2011 festives for 2.33 refined and 1 strange festive for 2-3 keys. They were not priced at the time but soon after,  1 normal 2011 festive was 1 key and 1 strange festive was 10-20 keys. :angry:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/651001246678678639/591B59AA0FE8BE975FE10F78391CF5E5628F971E/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/651001246678680300/F6C4DCC1DD101E277399A44736909355C1DDF0C9/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/651001246678681052/24EE1721D0B2C3FB4112DDD2EC69E47D9DA111F0/

• 2 weeks later...

Few grand by now 

I recently sold a Beams Hotdogger on Marketplace.tf for 100$ not 200$ I laughed a bit on that one

last time I price my shit whilst drunk

Drunk Wayne has spoken 

On 9/26/2018 at 10:43 AM, The Wayne Train said:

Few grand by now 

I recently sold a Beams Hotdogger on Marketplace.tf for 100$ not 200$ I laughed a bit on that one

last time I price my shit whilst drunk

Drunk Wayne has spoken 

Always hated that system. Highest buy-order should trump lower listing-price IMO, that way youd at least get highest sum even if listed for $1

Popstar.Never_Stop.Never_Stopping_2016.1080p.BluRay.H264-new.gif.2bd8c683b58fabfb32fded6c3946a01b.gif

Lost my first killawatt engi unusual, about 9 keys, through a stupid fishing link. I just just spent $20 on keys and was super excited to start my unusual trading adventure, and after trying to put my items into marketplace.tf over and over again, he ended up taking them. Made me really upset and I haven't really done much trading since. Still a fresh wound. 

Archived