largest amount you've been scammed out of?

SneakySpinarak

The first (and only) time I got scammed was when I got scammed out of a Team Spirit Bills hat.

This is back when Bills Hats were worth 7-8 keys, I and had only managed to work my way up to about 14 key inventory value total. So that was most of my value. I was pretty upset.

But looking back, paying 7.5 keys for the knowledge was well worth it!

~150 keys, (unu and an aussie scatter).

Gave them to a very good "friend" of mine and he ran when i asked them back a couple days later...

1-2 years ago, but wont forget :^( 

Got cb'd $2,000 for selling a MC server. Managed to get $680 back because it was made in a few separate payments, and I won the CB dispute on that one, but still killed me inside. 

My very first trade with a stranger is my most memorable time being scammed. Back when I had just started TF2 as a Free-to-Play, my friend gave me a High-Five Taunt which was around 2.5 keys back in 2012. I was in a random pub and I got a notification someone wants to trade with me. I hit accept not knowing what I was doing, and the person said they really liked my taunt, and asked if I would accept a key for it. I agreed since he appeared to want it really bad. I told my friend what I did, and he laughed and called me stupid. He then introduced me to TF2 spreadsheet (RIP 💀), and taught me his very basic understanding of trading.

Edit: I went back on my alternate account which was my original Steam account, and found the trade. It was actually the same day I had upgraded to premium, and the trade was even more lopsided than I remembered, LINK.

34 keys off a scummy fake cs site, took a massive hit to my cs inv at the time considering i wanted a bayo doppler but had to settle for a falchion fade

2 hours ago, IgnitedSolly said:

1300 keys in fake credit card gifted keys

All keys revoked after a day.

THIS sucks.

Valve should honestly reimburse you since you had no idea. They should not accept sketchy payment methods so casually, and when you had to suffer a $2000+ loss it should come out of their multi-billion dollar pocket

I've only been scammed once, and it's actually a funny story...

Back in the day, I was buying small backpacks and re-selling the stuff.  This one guy added me, and we negotiated a deal for like ~$40 PP on his ~$60 bp.  He sent over the stuff, it looked like it was all there and his bp was empty, so I sent over the money. 

Then I'm like "hmm....wait a minute...is that really all of it?"  Then I looked in his bp again, and surprise!  There's 4-5 of the more valuable items that I'd just paid him for, equaling about ~$20 in value.  I realized that he'd sent several items to an alt, and then transferred them back to his main after I sent the money.  (The cocky bastard must have been laughing his ass off at this point).  I'm not sure how I didn't see those items missing, but I didn't.  At this point, I've paid market value for $40 of random hats and stranges.  I'm annoyed as heck that he tricked me, but I haven't really lost a whole lot.  

The End?  Chalk it up to lessons learned?  Move on and forget?  I certainly thought so.

So I don't say anything to him, because what would be the point?  I just start screenshotting everything to make a report, thinking I'll get him marked, and all he got out of it was $40 cash for ~$40 of his items.  I got f***ed a little bit, he'll get f***ed a little bit, and we'll be even.  I considered charging back, but I came to the conclusion that it probably wouldn't work, and would be too much trouble even if it did.

Then he pops up--he's still in my friends list at this point--and asks to buy ~$20 worth of my keys with some of the money I just paid him for his bp.  I'm still going over my options in my mind, so I told him yes and gave him a price, mostly just to stall for time and let myself think.  He agrees to the price, and then is like "oh, what's your paypal email again?"  (Obviously he had that info, but he wasn't overly familiar with PP, and I'd had to walk him through how the transaction would work, how to check that it went through, etc).

I'm thinking maybe I can get him to send the money, and then I'll confront him before sending the keys.  Then I had a better idea.

I was like "Here, I'll take care of that.  Just click "refund" by the $40 I sent you; I'll send you ~$20 in keys and the change to your PP." 

I'm obviously expecting him to just laugh at that idea, but he agrees to it.  I'm not sure if he's just screwing with me, but...

A minute later, he refunds the $40 I sent him.  So now I've got all my money back, plus 2/3 of his original bp; he's only got the 1/3 of his bp that he failed to hand over.  He also can't even charge back because he didn't send me any money at any point; it was my payment, so he has zero options.

Then I'm like, "Okay, before I send anything to you, we need to discuss how you tried to scam me a moment ago, and what we're going to do about it."  He immediately started apologizing and promised never to scam again, etc.  (of course)

I ended up paying him (a reduced amount) for his stuff.  I felt like seeing his plan blow up in his face that badly was probably punishment enough.  And considering how badly the plan went for him, I didn't think he'd try to scam again.  I did check in on him ~6 months later and he wasn't marked, so maybe he learned his lesson.

A Nigerian man sharked me out of my wife once. Ended up with a melon with a wig, stuck on a broomstick. I was happy with the trade though, so I guess you could say it worked out for me.

3 hours ago, IgnitedSolly said:

Oof this tbh

8 hours ago, IgnitedSolly said:

Damn brother. EOTL? That must be a shitty feeling when it had nothing to do with you and isn’t your fault in the slightest. 

9 hours ago, Ursa said:

Scammed out of my first unusual through the "Send this to your friend" Method. Lost 20 keys

losing the first fucking sucks

Archived