BE AWARE OF STEAM ADMIN IMPERSONATOR/SCAMMERS!!!

G00N

I was recently almost scammed by a person who's profile was named Silent and it was a private profile (of course). He told me I had a pending report and that I should contact a steam community admin and he sent me a steam profile that was also private but was named " Mr.Kirby Tyler" this person took me through a step by step walkthrough of why i have a report, what items have been reported fraudulent, and how i can fix it. (this is when the scam comes in!) He then sent me a link to a trade offer with another private profile with the name "Steam Item Database" which would apparently scan, and make sure my item was legit. but i immediately got alarmed so I hopped onto google and searched up a couple of things and found this: https://forums.steamrep.com/pages/about-item-checking-scam/ and the person i was dealing with did the EXACT SAME THING! I also got some of it on video. but its too big of a file to put into this :(

Anyways, remember that there is no such thing as item checking, steam admins,  conducting business via steam chat, they wont trade ban you if they say they will, and once you trade those items away, theyre gone! 

He is just givin a nice heads up for anyone dat might be new to trading, its never bad to keep repeating this kinda thing 

well im glad you didnt fall for it but this is a very old scam.however the method is now a new one as they will photoshop a pic showing that you really have a pending ban.this tactic will scare alot of new traders like the OP here.just yesterday it happened to my other friend but didnt fall for it.it was rather differently.someone told to my friend that he was hacking his account and showed a pic that he was gonna change my friend's account.however he saw the photo again and realized it was fake.just becareful.scammers would even go for items thats not even worth 1 key...

This isn't exactly new, though you seem to be. If you encounter a scam, it's a 99.99% chance it's already well known method and doesn't need explicit warnings against, but it's nice you try to help people lol

Hi @G00N,

If you don't mind, could you tell me what led you to the SteamRep link above? What search terms did you use? Were there any parts that were hard to understand? I happened to write the guide in question, and I'm trying to find ways to make it more visible (thanks for sharing it here, by the way). You look pretty new to me, and you're exactly who it was intended for, so I'm interested in how to ensure other new traders like you end up finding it before they themselves get scammed.

@Lava

Sure! All I did was search up "item verification scam" to see if it was a scam when the person that was scamming me said that I had to trade my items, and I saw the headline "ITEM VERIFICATION IS NOT REAL" and I checked it out and that's what I found. As far as the guide goes, it was perfect! Nice and clear what to keep an eye out for if someone tries this. In fact, all things you wrote were practically a step by step of what the scammer did. And you are correct, I am a new trader and that was actually the first time someone tried to scam me. And thank you for writing that, if it wasn't for it, I'd probably be a couple items short.

Archived