STEAM is unreachable

bob_the_nailer

Hi all.

For the last 24 hours I've been getting a "Steam is unreachable" flag any time I'm trying to view my (or anyone else's) backpack.

But when I go on Steam I can see my inventory with no problem, even when using a web browser to visit steampowered.com

Thanks for any input as to what's going on.

Thanks,

bob

The only thing you can do is wait and refresh your backpack (on backpack.tf) every couple minutes or so until it works.

When it says "Steam is unreachable", that usually means that Steam TF2 API is down. All u can do is to wait or refresh your bp. You can also check state of Steam Services here.

Just get auto refresher plugin to your browser and update your inventory every 2 minutes, if you are awesome++ donator you can do it every 45 seconds.

I really think this 45 seconds refresh time for donators should be valid for non-donators as well, in case the backpack cannot be refreshed due to steam API issue.

No, the issue can happen for just 10 minutes like normally. No real reason to put it for. 2 minutes isnt too long and 45 secs refresh time won't help you with the issue.

Not if you refresh in the wrong moment. I use autorefresh addon on my browser for my alt and it refresh every 5 minutes. And even there sometimes it says that my backpack was last refreshed 8 hours ago. So if you don't refresh in the right moment (when API is up again), you need to wait 2 more minutes. And this can go for hours. So there's really no reason to punish users with limitations for having steam API issues. You should actually be able to refresh your backpack immediately in case of API issue.

If you use firefox this is a common problem that for some reason staff attribute to steam. whereas its a issue between this site and firefox. use a different browser and it will be fine. i had problems for a month where the profile NEVER EVER updated. i used internet explorer and chrome and it worked on both browsers fine first time. i switch back to firefox and it still says steam unreachable. i think there error catching code is obviously not tailored correct for interacting with firefox.

I used IE, Firefox, Chrome and Opera. The issue remained the same. But then all of a sudden, it started working again, so it must've been the Steam API, seems like they do maintenance on Tuesdays...

Archived