I think I found a new scam

TotallyNotaHacker

A random person added me and asked me if I had heard of a site called tf2fact.com. The person gave me a link like this "https://tf2fact.com". I didn't click on it since I've heard of the link phishing scams. I type the link in my browser and it shows me a gambling site, but when I click the link it takes me to a white screen. I told them it didn't work and it said to try again. When it didn't work again they told me my pc was broken when I told them that their website is broken. This is how they said it, "not I broken" and then they corrected to *is. I told them to screw off since my pc is not broken and then they unfriended me. Look the link up

Screenshot (11).png

not new, they rig the spins to make you win but then you need to deposit to withdraw, but then after you deposit they just run off with your items

this is barely new.the reason why you find it new is because you dont check out latest or all types of scams.this scam has been in csgo for a very very long time.the reason why this scam has just started in tf2 is because opskins was sued aand shut down and csgo items received 7-days ban when traded away

A whole heckload of different types of scams exist, and more are continually created... 

Usually I say knowledge is power, but in this case you don't need to worry about knowing them all. 

In fact, you're much better off just learning the basics of how to stay safe, rather than learning about the exact nature of all the dangers. 

To explain what I mean, a real-world equivalent would be going on some kind of safari or something with dangerous animals, and they say "Keep your arms/face/etc inside the vehicle at all times" (All you need to know to stay safe) vs "Here's a video showing exactly what it looks like when you stick your arms/face/etc outside of the vehicle and the lions eat them, and another video showing some other ways your extravehicular appendages can be harmed" (Interesting information if you want to know, but not required to stay safe, and doesn't keep you any more safe than just keeping yourself inside the vehicle)

A few basic rules will keep you safe from essentially all of the known scamming methods:

1)  Check someone's rep first thing when they send you a friend request.  If they're a marked scammer, obviously they're trying to scam you; just ignore them.

1a)  Don't even bother accepting adds from low-level, private accounts.  They're scammer alts.

2)  Don't click any links in chat. 

3)  Don't agree to any trade conditions involving items outside of the trade window, or otherwise trusting anyone to do anything.

4)  If any complication is introduced to the scenario that moves it beyond a direct trade between you and them ("trusted friend", deposit items on a website, etc), it's probably a scenario devised to trick you.  Cash trading via marketplace is an exception; that's legit.  Otherwise, only do direct trades.

5)  Price check everything on your own, take your time, ask other people for advice, and above all, if it seems to good to be true, it is.

The good news is that you don't have to worry about all the different types of scams at all, because following those rules will keep you safe from all of them.  (The only type of scam that wouldn't be completely prevented by following these rules would be something totally unprecedented like the Abstractism fake item scams, and those were so unprecedented that Valve is actually breaking policy and restoring items scammed via that method to the victims.)

Good post. However, in next chat:

•  Scammer: how much is your item is on skinsteal
  •  Victim: (typing skinsteal.com in another tab) Good thing you didn't send it as a link cause I'm not supposed to click on those

I would add that if you really feel like you need to "sign in through Steam", it's supposed to be just the button

image.png.ff9fdfa3542f9402d0c6a042a96c9ca4.png

If you're signing in through Steam on some website and asked for your Steam username and password - do not enter them.

And another thing: always start checking someone's account with pasting their Steam Profile URL into Rep.TF

On 04/08/2018 at 5:30 PM, Diamond jozu said:

this is barely new.the reason why you find it new is because you dont check out latest or all types of scams.this scam has been in csgo for a very very long time.the reason why this scam has just started in tf2 is because opskins was sued aand shut down and csgo items received 7-days ban when traded away

OPskins hasnt shut down. Where do you get your facts from? OPskins will be around for a long time and they have alot of cash in there bank. and to evade steams wrath regarding the gambling. They just started another company and another website called VGSkins/Unbox. Its funny how some people spout various rumours about sites that arent true...... wonder where these people get there 100 percent incorrect data. OPskins are recruiting for workers and have been for months like i previously advised when someone said they were shutting down. They arent and wont be for a long long time.

4 hours ago, DanielDee said:

OPskins hasnt shut down. Where do you get your facts from? OPskins will be around for a long time and they have alot of cash in there bank. and to evade steams wrath regarding the gambling. They just started another company and another website called VGSkins/Unbox. Its funny how some people spout various rumours about sites that arent true...... wonder where these people get there 100 percent incorrect data. OPskins are recruiting for workers and have been for months like i previously advised when someone said they were shutting down. They arent and wont be for a long long time.

ahh,i received those words from the csgo discussion.gues most of em are just plain toxic

8 hours ago, DanielDee said:

Could you send me the link please?

Archived