Opt out system -top backpacks-

Lexi

Many people with expensive backpacks do not like being on the top listed backpacks page. It heavily increases the number of people adding you to scam you. Could we please get an opt out system either where the user is hidden on the list ie displaying 'hidden user' or that they aren't considered on the list ie it skips them, I find both would be appropriate solutions. 

That isnt a good solution involving scammers. Moreso all you can do is just ignore the impersonator and move on with your life. Ik it is really hard to deal with, but you just gotta deal with them anyways.

6 hours ago, Lexi said:

Many people with expensive backpacks do not like being on the top listed backpacks page. It heavily increases the number of people adding you to scam you.

I don't know about this.  I've spent some time in the top 200, and never experienced any increase in scammer adds from that.  I'd assume that's high enough to see the increase if there was going to be one--anyone using the list to target people should at least have the stamina to get through a couple hundred.

Here's my experiences in regards to scammers adding me: I get a small number, probably 5 or fewer per month that seem to be completely random, and that number seems to hold pretty steady no matter what I do.  But I experience a sharp increase if I add or comment on the profile of any of the best-known traders.  It seems that scammers lurk around popular/top traders and send friend invites to their friends, or to people who leave comments on their profile.  Cleaning my friends list also helped a lot--anyone on your friends list who has scammers in their friends list could be causing those adds.

In your situation, look at this: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198351118640

This bot is on your friends list.  He has 20 banned friends, some of whom are outright trade-banned scammers.  Any of them could very easily be using the bot's huge (>1,500) friends list, including you, as a list of targets for scamming--especially the ones who are trade banned and have no other reason for being friends with a bot that they can't trade with.  And once they have that list of accounts, they can keep creating new accounts and trying different scamming methods on all >1,500 people.

While I can't say for sure that the top inventories list isn't the source of any of the adds, I can guarantee that being taken off any and all lists won't stop the scammers adding you completely:  I have an alt with a private inventory that I just use for storage (I don't play or trade on it), and it still gets scammer invites.

Not sure about everyone else here but when I reached the 30-40 spot the amount of scammer invites fell to almost none. I think scammers tend to add people with smaller backpacks as they are more prone to falling for scams. Blacklisting on the top inventories list won't do much.

Is it just me that enjoys playing with scammers and sending them to the weirdest sites out there only to go "oops wrong link" and just watch their reaction. Probably just me tbh because I'm a bad person, but having spent a little time around DCG and Fats, I know they hate scammers adding them and face a lot of backlash and anger from people who get scammed by their impersonators and blame the real ones. I would guess that the biggest collectors out there have inventories that have never seen the light of day. I know when OPskins shut down, a burning TC amongst other things went on there from a private BP, which until then had never been seen, which does show, that some people choose to hide their wealth and stay off of the top inventories list.

• 1 month later...

Scammer adds are very much a real thing, low tier csgo, scammers wanting to cash out, what have you. I know of many collectors that would take the option not to be displayed on backpack.tf top lists. They dont want to be forced to trade all there items away and then trade them back after making there accounts private. It's looked upon as shady, and many of them don't have 2 accounts. Many collectors want other sites or at the least have the control over what sites (popular or not) there information gets displayed.

So long as the community harbors hate and suspicion around private accounts and inventories, however which way you want to justify it, collectors who don't want to have to jump through hoops, will get tired of the constant bombardment of scammers and users who have zero business adding or stalking or impersonating them. 

I'm a god tier trader, been top 5 for years now, and scammers, are all over the place. If this is a option that can be done, do it.

Ignoring random adds, is silly, you sift through 200 adds for the 1 user that actually has something worthwhile to offer a collector? Not everyone wastes there life on trading, or cycling through countless nonsense adds.

Not to mention people add you just to get on your list, to then change there name and profile and try to fake an alt account, removing all friends but you, and saying that the account is an alt. Removing the top backpacks lists would make impersonators only go after traders, and not collectors, collectors are the life blood of this community I might add.....

*Drunk Wayne has spoken*

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2018 at 3:17 PM, 3.50 said:

I don't know about this.  I've spent some time in the top 200, and never experienced any increase in scammer adds from that.

Same, I've been in the top 300 for ages now, and in the top 200 for awhile now. Hardly ever get scammer adds.

Archived