help me please

Dmanbrony

i was on marketplace.tf and i was looking to add a couple of items so that i could sell them there and i clicked deposit and it sent me to a trade bot and i sent my items and then nothing showed up and checked the bot and it was renamed to

ϟ Santos Bot ϟ [⇄] and i still havent gotten my items yet it still has an open profile and it has my yellowbelt and croklether hats please help me because i traded it useing a bot the site sent me and now im scared there gone very unfairly.

Sorry but it looks like you were scammed exactly like I described here.

There is no way to get your items back.

You can make a report on this account https://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198830605478

by clicking red flag icon, but this is a throwaway account for this scammer anyway.

Read those blog entries, clean up your Steam account as described

and learn to never enter your credentials unless you opened the website by yourself.

... Wait, you already had a similar thread a week ago,

did you fall for this again because you decided not to read the answers and the MP blog entry?

no i was using the deposit and i sent the bot a trade and tried to confirm it on my phone a few seconds later and i only had one notification for confirming and i hit confirm because it looked  exactly like the same as the bot i was just trading with and then checked again and its name changed and i was confused a minute later finding out i lost everything so im kinda upset but ill get back up there eventually...

looks like u got scammed,

the bot seemed to have been impersonating as a scrap.tf storage bot as well, if u just check the past name log

Your items are gone bud, sorry.

31 minutes ago, Dmanbrony said:

no i was using the deposit and i sent the bot a trade and tried to confirm it on my phone a few seconds later and i only had one notification for confirming and i hit confirm because it looked  exactly like the same as the bot i was just trading with and then checked again and its name changed and i was confused a minute later finding out i lost everything so im kinda upset but ill get back up there eventually...

they have temporary access to your steam since you entered your credentials.

they can cancel the one you sent and send another trade offer.

Users on steam can have the same exact name.....

let me explain this.

You log into a site with your credentials and the scammer gets partial access to your account.

You send a trade offer via marketplace.tf into the site to "Marketplace.tf Bot 13" 

Scammer changes the name of his alt account to "Marketplace.tf Bot 13" and sends an identical offer to it from your partially hacked account.

Scammer cancels your trade offer to the real "Marketplace.tf Bot 13"

You have a confirmation that looks like the one you sent but its the one made by the scammer to fool you

You confirm the offer and the scammer gets your items.

Saying "No" and denying your mistake is your mistake. Face your mistakes, educate yourself on the scam so it doesn't happen to you again. It'll happen to you a third time if you don't

Its kinda hard to do so. If you signed in to any sketchy sites, change your password and you will be protected.

27 minutes ago, Mew2! said:

how do you check if someone has your credentials? this scares me

There's no way of checking if someone has your credentials and therefore, they could potentially use their steam community session as to perform such a scam as above at any time.

Much like a credit card, you don't know if someone else may have taken down its details until it's actually being used. Luckily, it is possible to force all instances of where your steam account is logged into steam community to be logged out by deauthorising all devices, or changing your password.

Can I ask a clarifying question for those who understand what happened here.

Is it the case that:

• the OP has at some point lost their username and password to a bad guy, e.g. logged into Steam via a sketchy site
  • the OP did actually go to the real marketplace.tf and try to deposit something
  • the bad guy is monitoring the trade offers of the OP and when it sees the marketplace.tf offer go out they immediately cancel it and send a fake trade request

Is that how this worked?   Or is it something different?   If its true the bit I don't quite get is the concept of partial access to the account, what does partial mean here?

Cheers

@duckDecoy: yes, this is how it works. The bad guy's software is monitoring victim's trade offers. Maybe this software works all the time, maybe attacker turns it on just before asking a victim to deposit.

I used the word "partial" to indicate that the attacker cannot control victim's Steam Mobile Auth and still needs a victim to create a trade and then do the confirmation (of a swapped trade).

Archived