Does anyone know why exactly genuine hats have gone down in price so much?

TheMoisterOyster

Recently, after cashing out a few months ago, I decided to get back into trading, and a lot has changed (Especially ref prices). But another thing I noticed is the major decrease in the cost of genuine hats. For example, The Genuine Crown Of The Old Kingdom was, when I was trading, about 10 refined. So when I got back, I was shocked to see it was worth around 3.44 ref on backpack.tf. I've searched around a lot but have not found a reason for these decreases. Could someone here please help me?

3-4 factors

1. There are lot more of them than there used to be, about 800 more than a year ago https://backpack.tf/stats/Genuine/Crown of the Old Kingdom/Tradable/Craftable

2. People lose interest, it’s not new anymore and the quality doesn’t actually add anything, so it’s becoming less desirable 

3. With non unusual trading being taken over bye bots prices decrease due to bots trying to undercut each other (some do it automatically)

4. The prices of most items are decreasing as tf2 becomes less and less played, and there hasn’t been a major update since October 

but the price is a little low, probably closer to 4.66-.88

2 hours ago, TheMoisterOyster said:

Recently, after cashing out a few months ago, I decided to get back into trading, and a lot has changed (Especially ref prices). But another thing I noticed is the major decrease in the cost of genuine hats. For example, The Genuine Crown Of The Old Kingdom was, when I was trading, about 10 refined. So when I got back, I was shocked to see it was worth around 3.44 ref on backpack.tf. I've searched around a lot but have not found a reason for these decreases. Could someone here please help me?

relatively newer genuine items like that always drop for a long while, a bunch crashed down to craft hat value at one point.  it takes a long time for genuines to level out.  but yes, as has been said, the automation of non-unusual trading is a contributing factor

(the crown may actually be due for a bit of a raise though)

1 hour ago, AD⚡HD said:

3-4 factors

1. There are lot more of them than there used to be, about 800 more than a year ago https://backpack.tf/stats/Genuine/Crown of the Old Kingdom/Tradable/Craftable

2. People lose interest, it’s not new anymore and the quality doesn’t actually add anything, so it’s becoming less desirable 

3. With non unusual trading being taken over bye bots prices decrease due to bots trying to undercut each other (some do it automatically)

4. The prices of most items are decreasing as tf2 becomes less and less played, and there hasn’t been a major update since October 

Bots are convenient, but they're bringing the price of everything down. This needs to stop imo.

14 hours ago, AD⚡HD said:

3-4 factors

Hmmf, in that case, should I just skip the normal items trading and skip straight to unusual trading?

1 hour ago, TheMoisterOyster said:

Hmmf, in that case, should I just skip the normal items trading and skip straight to unusual trading?

Yes, most definitely if you really want to make profit I’d start with like 25 keys, but you should know what your doing before you dump $50 into a game

3 hours ago, AD⚡HD said:

Yes, most definitely if you really want to make profit I’d start with like 25 keys, but you should know what your doing before you dump $50 into a game

I believe I'll just dump in 10 keys and buy an unusual. I managed to make around 40 keys that way 3 years ago, so I think I should be fine.

Archived