Someone sent me a message saying I might get trade banned. Should I trust them?

Vintage Spy

Someone randomly sent me a message telling me they saw a report of me saying that I might get trade banned and that I should add someone to talk about my "pending report". The comments of this person's profile (the one the person who messaged me said to check, i.e. the one who actually deals with trade-bans), has a few comments on their profile saying stuff like "Hey a friend told me to come here since my inventory could be trade banned?" Another person even says "I haven't traded in 2-3 weeks and yet i might get trade banned?" 

There is one user on there that actually is trade banned, but I'm not sure if this profile actually did trade ban them or if it''s just a coincidence. The person who sent me to this profile said that they saw my "pending report", and when I asked to see it or for them to show it, they just replied with "why so many questions? If you really don't want help then okay" and immediately went offline.  One very weird thing that I noticed is that there is a link on this profile that steam says could be malicious and could steal information. Is this how trade bans happen? I'm quite confused as to this as I asked for proof of this pending trade report and yet they didn't want to show me it? and they didn't want to be specific at all as to what my report said despite them saying they saw it? 

You never get told by Steam whether you have been reported or flagged for anything, until they actually hit you with the ban onto your account.

It's most likely that this person is getting you to add some random person who is trying to pretend to be some Steam Moderator or Database and tell you to trade them items to them to remove the report (utter rubbish). Either that or they tell you to appeal through a phishing link that you should not click on.

Almost certain to be a scammer. Remove and move on.

It's just bullshit, don't bother. Some scumbag impersonating a steam admin stated that a ticket has been made about a duped unusual that I once had and he wanted me to 'respond' to this 'ticket' by following a link, or else I'd get banned in the next 24h. 

And guess what, nothing happend lmao

34 minutes ago, Mengh facepalms. said:

You never get told by Steam whether you have been reported or flagged for anything, until they actually hit you with the ban onto your account.

It's most likely that this person is getting you to add some random person who is trying to pretend to be some Steam Moderator or Database and tell you to trade them items to them to remove the report (utter rubbish). Either that or they tell you to appeal through a phishing link that you should not click on.

Almost certain to be a scammer. Remove and move on.

Okay thank you C: I figured as such. The only link I clicked on was a link to their steam profile and an imgur link that supposedly showed a report (which wasn't mine), but they both were https links and they both were from steamcommunity (to get to the profile) and to the imgur post. The only thing that worried me was that the person's profile just seemingly had an NaN on the comments where the numbers should be, which does worry me as it seems like it maybe was a phishing link (and the link doesn't lead to a profile anymore, just leads to a steamcommunity error, but this could mean they just changed their steam id or profile url right?) 

If they both lead the actual sites, that doesn't mean I'm in any real danger right? I also checked to see if it was steamcornmunity or something, but it's not. Am I in any danger? I did a scan with Malwarebytes and it came up as clean. :(

This person also blocked me. So that's that

Oh, and obviously I would provide proof but said person blocked me so I can't access chats anymore

2 hours ago, Vintage Spy said:

Okay thank you C: I figured as such. The only link I clicked on was a link to their steam profile and an imgur link that supposedly showed a report (which wasn't mine), but they both were https links and they both were from steamcommunity (to get to the profile) and to the imgur post. The only thing that worried me was that the person's profile just seemingly had an NaN on the comments where the numbers should be, which does worry me as it seems like it maybe was a phishing link (and the link doesn't lead to a profile anymore, just leads to a steamcommunity error, but this could mean they just changed their steam id or profile url right?) 

If they both lead the actual sites, that doesn't mean I'm in any real danger right? I also checked to see if it was steamcornmunity or something, but it's not. Am I in any danger? I did a scan with Malwarebytes and it came up as clean. :(

Oh, and obviously I would provide proof but said person blocked me so I can't access chats anymore

If you still had the chat logs that would be something but it sounds like you dont anymore. However you can still report them. Impersonating Valve/Steam employees to try and scam others is pretty serious. So a report would at least allow Steam to keep an eye on this person

3 hours ago, Vintage Spy said:

I remember there was this place on steam support where you could access your chat logs...

hmm...

i don't know the address though

dont worry mate, its just a low scam attempt, as someone said earlier if steam wants to ban you you would realise it instantly since they dont give any sort of warning. Just dont trust any of those impersonators

Trade bans are only given by VALVE when their TOS is broken or when they receive actual  proof of a scam or something that violets their trading rules. 
Anyone who tells you stuff like this are liars and could be scammers. DO not trust anyone who says they are steam Admins or in any way related to steam / valve etc. 

Keep this in mind. There is no such thing as a "Steam Admin". The real people are actually called "Valve Employees" if my knowledge is right.
image.png.a6f226bec580e6f9cfef39c289320464.png
Every valve employees will have this as their profile showcase badge. This badge can only be found with official valve employees and no one else. 
One more additional information to confirm this is by checking this steam group. 
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/Valve I believe all the valve employees are on this group.
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/Steam and this is the group for everyone who works for steam.

See I am not 100% sure of what I have said above in italics is right but my point is. 

1. Do not trust anyone who says they work for steam. 
2. Valve/Steam employees will never add you. 
3. You will directly be contacted by steam via your steam client if there is any sort of report against you.

4. Comments on profiles are just too miss-leading. It can be faked by alt accounts.

StaySafe.

Archived