Help on selling unusuals?

Vintage Spy

So, i've recently acquired an unusual Sober Stuntsman (Kill-A-Watt) that's worth 12 keys, I bought it for 10 keys. However, I feel like unusual trading is quite hard unless you either have a lot of unusuals already or simply have good unusuals. What's the best way to sell one? I tried on a few trade servers but nobody seems able to buy or is willing to buy. If I try selling it on the steam market, that seems harder as it seems like items worth 30 dollars (as the one I currently have is worth 30 dollars) are on pages 2 and 3 of the steam market. Since I did buy it for 10 keys, would it be wise to quick sell it for 11 keys (1 key discount), and while I technically am losing profit on the trade, i'm gaining profit overall since I put in 10 keys and got 11 keys out of it?

When you're dealing with lower tier unusuals, flipping for pure shouldn't be your main go-to method of profit. What you should be doing is focusing on unusual overpay and/or sweets in trading. If you take a 12 key unusual and trade for another 12 key unusual + a keys worth of sweets, you still have a 12 key unusual, but you've now got other items to trade around with or to reuse as other overpay to keep upgrading your backpack.

Also, a Kill-A-Watt Sober Stuntman is not a 12 key unusual. It's a 10-14 key unusual whose price is almost a year out of date. When an unusual has that red "!" in the corner, that means that the price is outdated and further research is required (and better yet, a new suggestion). Nowadays, that hat'd be more in the 9-11 key range.

• Vintage Spy locked this topic
  • Vintage Spy unlocked and locked this topic
  • Vintage Spy unlocked this topic
19 hours ago, Scott Bakula said:

When you're dealing with lower tier unusuals, flipping for pure shouldn't be your main go-to method of profit. What you should be doing is focusing on unusual overpay and/or sweets in trading. If you take a 12 key unusual and trade for another 12 key unusual + a keys worth of sweets, you still have a 12 key unusual, but you've now got other items to trade around with or to reuse as other overpay to keep upgrading your backpack.

Also, a Kill-A-Watt Sober Stuntman is not a 12 key unusual. It's a 10-14 key unusual whose price is almost a year out of date. When an unusual has that red "!" in the corner, that means that the price is outdated and further research is required (and better yet, a new suggestion). Nowadays, that hat'd be more in the 9-11 key range.

Yes, in fact what I was aiming to do was to get overpay instead of pure, however the whole "sweets" thing, sorry but why would someone give me a 12 key unusual for a 12 key unusual and then decide to add "sweets" by adding in a key? Who would just give me a free key for an item worth the same amount? Or are you saying to trade for an unusual and have someone else give me a few ref with their unusual for my unusual, and over time that adds up to a key? But again, why would someone just add in a ref for no reason if the trade is already equal?

14 minutes ago, Vintage Spy said:

why would someone just add in a ref for no reason if the trade is already equal?

Except it's not equal. One person is getting what they want, while the other is left with an item they still have to sell. That's why there's sweets and overpay, to compensate for the inconvenience of one person having to take further steps to get what they want.

28 minutes ago, Vintage Spy said:

Yes, in fact what I was aiming to do was to get overpay instead of pure, however the whole "sweets" thing, sorry but why would someone give me a 12 key unusual for a 12 key unusual and then decide to add "sweets" by adding in a key? Who would just give me a free key for an item worth the same amount? Or are you saying to trade for an unusual and have someone else give me a few ref with their unusual for my unusual, and over time that adds up to a key? But again, why would someone just add in a ref for no reason if the trade is already equal?

There are some people who don't always look at backpack.tf price, but rather have a perceived price that they themselves value the item for. In some cases, it can be people willing to overpay for an unusual because it looks nice, but most of the time (especially with traders), it is that people are valuing the item at what they perceive could be the amount they could sell it for in the future.

Even if the price of an unusual is 12 keys by backpack.tf, it could sell for a bit more or a bit less than that amount in due time. People often hope for the best and may take on the risk of buying and then selling the unusual at a higher price, if they believe that they can get more for it in the future than the value of the items they currently have.

The use of sweets is to 'sweeten' the deal and increase the chances of the trade going through as to not miss out on the opportunity to potentially profit even more. As @Scott Bakula said, it can be used to remove the inconvenience of having to go through many trades to get what they want, and often, it's to make profit.

2 hours ago, Mengh facepalms. said:

There are some people who don't always look at backpack.tf price, but rather have a perceived price that they themselves value the item for. In some cases, it can be people willing to overpay for an unusual because it looks nice, but most of the time (especially with traders), it is that people are valuing the item at what they perceive could be the amount they could sell it for in the future.

Even if the price of an unusual is 12 keys by backpack.tf, it could sell for a bit more or a bit less than that amount in due time. People often hope for the best and may take on the risk of buying and then selling the unusual at a higher price, if they believe that they can get more for it in the future than the value of the items they currently have.

The use of sweets is to 'sweeten' the deal and increase the chances of the trade going through as to not miss out on the opportunity to potentially profit even more. As @Scott Bakula said, it can be used to remove the inconvenience of having to go through many trades to get what they want, and often, it's to make profit.

Oh okay thanks! 

• Vintage Spy locked this topic

Archived