Just got scammed scammed for the first time in my life..

Hervé

I'm making this thread not to complain or get revenge on this piece of shit person, since in my belief what goes around comes around. I'm making this thread just in case you guys don't get scammed like I foolishly did. 

So how it went : Random guy adds me on Steam

-His pfp states that he has 1800 hours on TF2, his inventory is filled with at least 8 unusuals, has loads of +reps on his profile

-He speaks to me in DM like a normal person, so I could tell it wasn't a bot. 

-He offers me cash for my Unusual : Ground Control Purple confetti worth around 34 keys pure. 

-At first my scam senses start tingling, then i get too curious and ask him how trustworthy it is...he says a bunch of stuff..and im still not satisfied 

-Then he starts providing me with "proof" with screenshots of how it works, and of previous traders like him who followed this same procedure (giving an unusual via Steam offers) 

-I started asking other questions as well to be on the safe side

-Then he starts getting suspicious of me and acts like the nice guy and starts making logical arguments : "Why would i scam when i have a backpack worth 1000$ and a good reputation on steam..."

-And here's where my idiocy gets into place....i send him my Unusual without ANYTHING in return via Steam offers. In exhange for a code steam card worth 100$....

-And you know the rest....he goes offline probably laughing his ass off at how foolishly i got scammed...

Basically guys, its no surprise, i was fooled. But what happened, happened and I accept that. But if we analyze and see what went wrong, then maybe stuff like this can't happen again. What I believe were my mistakes : 

1 -Trusting his Steam Profile, hours on TF2 and inventory

2 - Buying into his "proof" with screenshots and of previous trades so he apparently did like this

3 - And finally buying into his "im a nice guy and ill +rep, you" bullshit 

As a guy on Discord so wisely said :"Someone wanting you to send your unusual with nothing else in the trade is pretty much always a scam. There's no excuse to fall for it."

Sadly, this common sense was not with me at that very moment, as i was already fooled in my head. The idea of having 100 euros on my Steam account got to me and prevailed over my common sense. 

And as for a final note, stay safe guys, scammers evolve and find new manners to fool people. This is the first I ever met a Scammer like this, and felt like it was important to inform you guys. Stay safe, and feel free to as questions if you have anything to ask about my experience. 

Just cause there are so much "+reps" on a steam profile's comment section does NOT mean he is not a scammer. This method is a way to fool others of thinking that the scammer has so much rep and you should trust him. As a side note, +reps on steam profiles are just useless. Always do background checks before trading with someone. To do this copy his steam link, and go to https://steamrep.com/  and copy paste the steam id link to the search bar.   

I thought the first person impersonated the second one but apparently they're both scammers. Just be more careful next time

Check the person's background, he's marked on SR

1 hour ago, Hervé said:

He had a similar profile, but it was actually this person : https://steamcommunity.com/id/sissou1002

I recommend you keep his SteamID64 link with you in case you need it. His custom URL can change at any moment, and at times, it can lead you to losing the person you were talking about.

SteamID64: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198152142169

Backpack.tf Profile with -32 trust ratings: https://backpack.tf/u/76561198152142169

Word of advice next time is to always check someone's background using sites like Rep.tf.

With https://rep.tf/76561198152142169, it tells you someone's reputation within different communities so that you can make that judgement of whether the person you are trading with is reputable or not.

5b463beee61d9_ScreenShot2018-07-11at18_16_56.thumb.png.a9116956a469b371623a394e1cb9e2bd.png

1 hour ago, Mengh facepalms. said:

I recommend you keep his SteamID64 link with you in case you need it. His custom URL can change at any moment, and at times, it can lead you to losing the person you were talking about.

SteamID64: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198152142169

Backpack.tf Profile with -32 trust ratings: https://backpack.tf/u/76561198152142169

Word of advice next time is to always check someone's background using sites like Rep.tf.

With https://rep.tf/76561198152142169, it tells you someone's reputation within different communities so that you can make that judgement of whether the person you are trading with is reputable or not.

5b463beee61d9_ScreenShot2018-07-11at18_16_56.thumb.png.a9116956a469b371623a394e1cb9e2bd.png

It's written on his bp.tf profile "Do NOT trust this user to pay with steam wallet codes." 

Which is exactly what he scammed me with. I'm so disappointed in myself for being this naive. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone again. 

also the fact the user has previous names of, PiotreX Will sell for the lowest. and TroLL Pumpkiin™ should of set alarm bells off to you.

I have a few simple rules on that:

1. Don't get friend with someone you don't know: "knowing" means, that i trade with him (e.g. on backpack.tf or scrap.tf) or that i played with him recently.

The word "friend" has changed it's meaning during the social media. Originally a friend was someone you know well and trust him. Think of real life: if you meet someone on the street claiming: "Lets be friends!" would you answer: "Sure, here's the key to my car."?

Think of your responsibility too: If you make someone your friend you're telling the world: I trust that one. Your other friends rely on that.

2. Everything that's not in the trade is not in the trade: If you've decided to do a trade trust steam but dont trust the trader. You can expect to get the items in the trade but nothing more. The only exception is that you're really sure what you're doing, e.g. when depositing an item at scrap.tf

3. Read what steam tells you: In the trade-windows there is information e.g. whether the user has changed his name recently. Dont ignore that information. A friend of mine got scammed by a user steam warned he was reported to be a scammer. That's really stupid.

And keep in mind: The other one - even if not a scammer - is not doing you a favour. He's doing that, because he wants it and gets a profit from it. If you're not sure about a trade, dont do it. Most likely there is another and better chance.

2 hours ago, DanielDee said:

also the fact the user has previous names of, PiotreX Will sell for the lowest. and TroLL Pumpkiin™ should of set alarm bells off to you.

I don't see how that is a factor, I change names all the time. 

On 7/11/2018 at 11:11 AM, Golf io said:

Just cause there are so much "+reps" on a steam profile's comment section does NOT mean he is not a scammer. This method is a way to fool others of thinking that the scammer has so much rep and you should trust him. As a side note, +reps on steam profiles are just useless. Always do background checks before trading with someone. To do this copy his steam link, and go to https://steamrep.com/  and copy paste the steam id link to the search bar.   

I got scamme from a guy with +rep on backpack.tf. He was given rep from notible people as well. Scamme of 70 keys I was. One of my keys are broken.

3 hours ago, Pootis bird said:

I got scamme from a guy with +rep on backpack.tf. He was given rep from notible people as well. Scamme of 70 keys I was. One of my keys are broken.

+rep on backpack.tf does not always mean he or she is NOT a scammer. +rep can be placed to do the same just like putting them on a person's steam profile. All of these"+rep tactics" are abuseable. Always keep an eye out of scammers!

On 7/12/2018 at 5:26 PM, Golf io said:

+rep on backpack.tf does not always mean he or she is NOT a scammer. +rep can be placed to do the same just like putting them on a person's steam profile. All of these"+rep tactics" are abuseable. Always keep an eye out of scammers!

Well. Its weird. When someone ever l+rep'd me for brokering for them backpack.tf removed it.

On 7/12/2018 at 5:41 AM, Hervé said:

I don't see how that is a factor, I change names all the time. 

But the names he was using are high profile, big time traders.  They arent the same person.   Thus....he was most likely impersonating those big time traders.

4 hours ago, Mrs TS said:

But the names he was using are high profile, big time traders.  They arent the same person.   Thus....he was most likely impersonating those big time traders.

I had no idea who these big traders were so..it wouldn't have been an indicator for me.

Sorry that happened to you. 
From next time if you are trading any item over 10 keys value Please do a background check. 

Easiest way to d that is just to post their steam profile link on this website - https://rep.tf/ and also check their bp.tf profile.

A more in-depth version can be found here. 

Just now, IAmSeamonkey said:

my advice to you: next time someones offers you money for items, cancel the trade immediately.

and vice versa

Archived