collector's items should do something

Soju

I find it fascinating (not surprising, fascinating) that people spend hundreds of dollars on these items that have no difference from their dime a dozen counterparts other than having dark red text. If I'm gonna spend big bucks on virtual items I want to show off! I want people to know about it! 

Here's my idea: Kills with collectors quality items are shown with the weapons outlined in dark red (#AA0000) in the kill feed, kinda like how aussie weapon kill icons are different. If it's a collectors cosmetic then the wearer's name is outlined in the kill feed. The outline would have to be pretty thin to keep it clear which team the wearer is on. The outline could also show up on the in-game scoreboard and text-chat which may come in handy if you wanna spot an impersonator.

This is basically a simplified version of websites and community servers giving flashy name styles to donators. Collector's items are rare and Valve already added player trails and voice-changing items (Halloween Spells) so this doesn't seem too outlandish. If we really wanna get fancy we could make it so that the red gets darker/ more noticeable the more collectors items you have equipped. Y'all got any other ideas/thoughts?

kPLnoON.png?2

Seems like a dumb idea to me. It should stay the same, its a collectors item not an unu or aussie (which you can show off and they cost less) its ment to be Collected hence the name *collector* and even if these changes were applied 90% of people you are going to be playing with are most likely pubbers, and traders which dont give a damn about it. Sorry to piss on your bonfire but this is stupid, aswell why the hell would u wanna waste hunderds of dollars on a ingame item which only has a dark red text behind it go for an aussie or mabye a nice strange or even a strange festive.

*hard reading* i feel there are some snarky arseholes coming this way to tell me wrong dat this is a "good idea"

I don't think this is a good idea because the whole idea behind collectors items is they're inherently worthless to anyone other than collectors so them having a function seems redundant.

at the same time captainfluffy why do you have to be a dick about it? 

6 hours ago, Captainfluffy said:

its a collectors item not an unu or aussie (which you can show off and they cost less) 

Image result for thinking emoji gif sun

The whole fascination about collector items is that not everyone knows what they are, but those who do are more then impressed by them. And who owns collectors items? Right, collectors!

I've always said that you should be able to continue adding uniques into the collectors item, and that there should be a counter in the description of the item showing how many of them have been added (starting at 200). This *could* potentially make them worth something again

Archived