Is a buy order binding?

Monkeyqpang

Hey guys. Today I tried to sell an unusual to a guy who had a buy order of 17.29 keys. I sent him an offer with said amount, but after an hour I checked if the buy order was still there, and it was gone. He hasn't responded to my trade yet, but I just want to know if he's forced to make a trade if he put up the buy order? If not, that means that anyone can make a buy order, but only accept an offer when they like it.

2018-07-07 (1).png

17 minutes ago, Monkeyqpang said:

Hey guys. Today I tried to sell an unusual to a guy who had a buy order of 17.29 keys. I sent him an offer with said amount, but after an hour I checked if the buy order was still there, and it was gone. He hasn't responded to my trade yet, but I just want to know if he's forced to make a trade if he put up the buy order? If not, that means that anyone can make a buy order, but only accept an offer when they like it.

2018-07-07 (1).png

Yes, but only if your hat isn't a duplicated one. However, since you bought it from a banned scammer alt I'm not sure the buyer is obliged to.

Generally he should accept, if he won't, you can report it on his profile (red flag on his profile) and he'll get banned. As soon as you're not a scammer and item match his criteria (isn't duped) of course. You'll need to provide the proof too.

The truth is many, if not most people who aren't bots do this. Happened to me way too many times and sometimes you may also get blocked by the user so you can't send any more offers. I learned the hard way that bp.tf classifieds are never to be trusted, even if they're bots when talking about more expensive items sometimes because you're likely to end up with negative profit with how quickly prices can change so it's better not to risk in some specific cases. I've had all bots not accept my offer for a while on a item once and then one of them manually declined the trade offer and changed its price. I got really pissed off and just gave up ever since. As a bonus a lot of people using that one bot service pretty much never go online.

Anyway, yes, it's reportable if it's not duped as far as I know, but no one should need to manually take screenshots of everything for evidence and it's hard if not impossible to provide solid evidence for that and if it is, there's no info anywhere on what's acceptable evidence. Just don't rely on classifieds at all unless the buy order makes sense and you think you can get someone else to pay around that price.

23 minutes ago, Zumo de Pomelo said:

The truth is many, if not most people who aren't bots do this. Happened to me way too many times and sometimes you may also get blocked by the user so you can't send any more offers. I learned the hard way that bp.tf classifieds are never to be trusted, even if they're bots when talking about more expensive items sometimes because you're likely to end up with negative profit with how quickly prices can change so it's better not to risk in some specific cases. I've had all bots not accept my offer for a while on a item once and then one of them manually declined the trade offer and changed its price. I got really pissed off and just gave up ever since. As a bonus a lot of people using that one bot service pretty much never go online.

Anyway, yes, it's reportable if it's not duped as far as I know, but no one should need to manually take screenshots of everything for evidence and it's hard if not impossible to provide solid evidence for that and if it is, there's no info anywhere on what's acceptable evidence. Just don't rely on classifieds at all unless the buy order makes sense and you think you can get someone else to pay around that price.

I think it really depends on the buyer to be honest, there are certain buyers who will always accept their buy order like Jarool, while there are some other buyers who I will not name, that tend to put the highest buy order and then let it rot when someone sends an offer and just ignore it, which is why I always take a screenshot of the classies before I send an offer to those buyers. Personally I have a lot of buy orders, and sometimes I have prices I overlook that are too high or outdated, but I still accept my buy orders because I know I despise people who don't, and even if I made a mistake it's my mistake, so I'll own up to it. It really depends on the buyer for classifieds, if you know who's trusted or not trusted then you can/can't rely on classifieds.

As for bots, a lot of them get multiple trade offers within seconds or at the same time, and bot.tf bots have to manually accept trades over 15 keys, as well as steam goes down a lot, so bots are not always running 24/7, thus you might have items on hold, or trades may just sit there. If a bot declines for the buy order it might be maxed out on stock, but if not, just report it, bots are not immune to bp.tf rules

Okay, so I talked with the guy, and in the end we made the trade. He declined my trade for whatever reason, and after that he bought a different unusual. Was kinda weird, since he had enough keys afterwards, but sold some on the SCM after I asked if we could still do the trade. He messaged me a couple hours later saying he got the keys, and we finalised the trade. 

As for the guy I bought it from, I can't remember I ever saw that he was banned. As far as I remember I met him on Vatican, where he offered the Softcap for two of my unusuals. I pricechecked them on bp.tf, but didn't take a look at his profile or anything. Does anyone have any tips to prevent this, since I don't always look at people's backpack when trading. I've been banned for 3 days.

1 hour ago, Monkeyqpang said:

Okay, so I talked with the guy, and in the end we made the trade. He declined my trade for whatever reason, and after that he bought a different unusual. Was kinda weird, since he had enough keys afterwards, but sold some on the SCM after I asked if we could still do the trade. He messaged me a couple hours later saying he got the keys, and we finalised the trade. 

As for the guy I bought it from, I can't remember I ever saw that he was banned. As far as I remember I met him on Vatican, where he offered the Softcap for two of my unusuals. I pricechecked them on bp.tf, but didn't take a look at his profile or anything. Does anyone have any tips to prevent this, since I don't always look at people's backpack when trading. I've been banned for 3 days.

This guide should help you.

3 hours ago, unstopaBULLY said:

I think it really depends on the buyer to be honest, there are certain buyers who will always accept their buy order like Jarool, while there are some other buyers who I will not name, that tend to put the highest buy order and then let it rot when someone sends an offer and just ignore it, which is why I always take a screenshot of the classies before I send an offer to those buyers. Personally I have a lot of buy orders, and sometimes I have prices I overlook that are too high or outdated, but I still accept my buy orders because I know I despise people who don't, and even if I made a mistake it's my mistake, so I'll own up to it. It really depends on the buyer for classifieds, if you know who's trusted or not trusted then you can/can't rely on classifieds.

As for bots, a lot of them get multiple trade offers within seconds or at the same time, and bot.tf bots have to manually accept trades over 15 keys, as well as steam goes down a lot, so bots are not always running 24/7, thus you might have items on hold, or trades may just sit there. If a bot declines for the buy order it might be maxed out on stock, but if not, just report it, bots are not immune to bp.tf rules

Indeed, it depends. I've had some offers accepted even when the buy order wasn't a good deal. It's just that the opposite happened too often on my experience and I'll pass on having to take screenshots every time I send those offers only to have a chance of getting them punished if I go through all that hassle. Most big traders with bad buy orders will just ignore the trade until they use those keys on another trade and possibly remove that buy order after that. They could even do this intentionally if they wanted to as well. Staff on bp.tf seems to be extremely careful when punishing its users sometimes so it's just not worth it for me if for example I want to trade one of my unusuals for another one  and instantly quicksell it for pure.

About the bots, I've had multiple trades over 15 keys be accepted really quickly. Usually within a minute or two and that's normal because Steam takes longer to process items with more items. Is that a new feature, or did I get lucky or what happened? And who's in charge of those reviews? I waited for half an hour in total if I recall correctly until I gave up and sold it elsewhere at a loss. The bot that manually declined the offer was 100% intentional and immediately lowered the buy order after that because of low sellers, it wasn't maxed out on stock. Yes, they're not immune but my point is the current experience is just awful. And if reporting worked fine it's not clear to me if the user is obliged to pay what was advertised or not. I still don't even know how to properly report those listings, I tried once in the past but the evidence wasn't enough. The guy just ignored the trade until keys were unavailable and later removed the listing I think, not sure. Or maybe that was another trade.

10 hours ago, Zumo de Pomelo said:

I still don't even know how to properly report those listings, I tried once in the past but the evidence wasn't enough. The guy just ignored the trade until keys were unavailable and later removed the listing I think

If they ignore the offer until the keys are unavailable, it's impossible to prove anything because there's no way to tell if they let it sit on purpose or if they just accepted another offer (which they may even have received first, in which case they really did nothing wrong) before getting to yours.

However, if they're being shady about it (For example, one time I sent this guy an offer for 19 keys per his listing.  He immediately countered with 15, but left his offer for 19 up), I'd go ahead and report it with whatever screenshots you have.  Even if that report isn't enough to cause them punishment, it won't go unnoticed by mods if they get a lot of reports.  If enough people report them, they may get a ban simply for being essentially a public nuisance.

Now, to be fair, I don't think most people fail to honor listings out of intentional dishonesty.  I believe that it's usually either that they didn't have time to manually update their listings or, if they use bot.tf and autoprice, then they get charged each time they update their prices

I don't know why in the heck bot.tf does it that way, but it's one of the worst ideas I've ever seen in action.  Since they already charge per month for the bots, they could easily include the option for price updates every (x) amount of time or something.  But they don't.

As it is, charging for each pricing encourages people to create listings and then not update their prices, to avoid extra cost and/or trouble.  So I think bot.tf might be part of the problem here, though I don't think they intended it.

The solution to all this is for geel to shell out a few of his millions to someone who can get backpack automatic back up, running, and supported. :)

Oh wow. You made a post for me how nice :)

Btw you never bothered to check if i was online or when the listing was bumped and quickly jumped to conclusions. You did see that the listing doesnt have a lightning sign on it meaning its not instant. Meaning im a human and not a bot. I even placed my timezone on my profile. I even said on my profile ill accept asap and within 12 hours. 

Also i didnt decline the trade items got used it even said items unavailable. And youre not the only one i coudnt accept the offer in time. But you are most definitely the biggest baby among all of them.

Next time check everything before jumping to conclusions.

Archived