dear physics side of backpack.tf forums

SneakySpinarak

I'm currently writing a novel and I an aspect of it requires that I understand the relationship between weight and density. So as you would explain it to a 10 year old, tell me how density impacts weight or just how their properties interact in general. I'm not entirely sure there is a connection or how much sense this question makes to please bare with me. 

the weight of an object depends on how powerfully gravity is being exerted on it, density is constant regardless of where the object is. A 1kg object on the moon would weigh more on Earth, but would be just as dense. Density is just how tightly packed the object is

Density is mass per unit volume (its how much "stuff" is in a fixed space)

weight is a force that occurs due to the gravity (gravitational acceleration) of the earth (or any object large enough I guess) acting on the mass of an object

so the two relate in the sense that the density of an object multiplied by its volume multiplied by the gravitational acceleration of the earth (9.81m/s) is the weight

You could use an analogy that relates to a pack of sardines. While small, it is packed and dense. Then use something similar to a tuna can which albeit still compacted its less so than a sardine can. Not the best example but it's what I thought of. 

Archived