Just buying on marketplace.tf

Mr Furley

Is it ok just to buy anything on marketplace.tf or do we need to inspect the sellers as we buy? Same question for scm , like as far as trading with scammers? How deep do we need to dig on bought items?

Edit let me continue. How bout the classifieds, are they safe? If not, why are they allowed to advertise?

2 hours ago, Mr Furley said:

Is it ok just to buy anything on marketplace.tf or do we need to inspect the sellers as we buy? Same question for scm , like as far as trading with scammers? How deep do we need to dig on bought items?

Edit let me continue. How bout the classifieds, are they safe? If not, why are they allowed to advertise?

For marketplace, its pretty easy to check if the seller is a scammer. For unus just click on “View on bptf” and you’ll Get the item history.

I dont think you can check who you buy from on scm

Scammers are not allowed or able to post on the classifieds if they’re banned.

Same Goes for forums

On the SCM, you can basically buy anything you want, because Steam has gone to decent lengths to prevent people from discovering the identity of sellers.  Even the workarounds no longer work. 

For MP and the classifieds, you still need to check. 

For MP: In the past I have seen marked scammers selling on MP on multiple occasions.  I'm pretty sure MP has background checks and such for sellers, but if someone gets approved as a seller and then turns scammer, it's quite conceivable that they could get hats up on MP before any action could be taken.  And I don't know what happens if someone with hats for sale on MP gets marked.  Check whatever links you have--it's a small amount of effort that can save a huge hassle.

For the classifieds, you definitely need to check.  There's a cutoff (last I heard it was 15 keys) above which you must check all trades.  Your main concern here is the notorious "obvious scammer alt", which is not always going to be banned.  I believe they get banned as soon as they get flagged or IP match with a scammer, but you're certainly not guaranteed that the classifieds are scammer free.  And it's not that scammer alts are allowed to advertise; it's that everyone is allowed to advertise unless and until they do something to lose that privilege, and get caught for doing it. 

Bottom line: always use the resources you have to check; it only takes a second.

also forums most definitely not, I've seen at least 1 backpack.tf marked scammer advertising in the item trading sub forum here. 

So still check on the forums if someone is a scammer

Archived