Are keys the only thing increasing in value?

soulquarian33

Hey are keys the only thing increasing in value over time? I checked buds, bills, australiums and a few hats but they all seem like they have decreased in value over the past few years.

What items are increasing in value besides keys?

I want to say this before anyone else starts - keys are not increasing in value. This has never been the case. Keys are, and always have been, worth exactly $2.49 in the mann co store. Rather, the value of refined metal is going down, making keys more valuable relative to it.

(Weedoof beat me to it by 2 min damnit)

Keys are about the only thing in tf2 thats price doesn't change (at least not too much, steam sales can drop the price a little on scm). When you're talking about keys increasing in value you actually mean ref is decreasing in value (and consequentially everything priced in ref). Keys will likely always be between $1.85-$2 depending on seller. (I would point this out in the ref/keys USD value charts but since keys were priced by ref and thus the values stored as ref and not USD means the key graph shows them starting out at around 3 ref with today's value or 17 cents)

That said, old Halloween effects/spells appear to be gaining some value and some older crates, aka stuff that is semi-rare and always static or decreasing in the amount of items that have those qualities since the effects can't be unboxed anymore and there are no more old crates dropping. Another example would be the HOUWAR, collector's sets, and certain stranges such as the ones from salvaged crates and the limited strange festives.

Ah okay that makes sense then I was never clued in with the tf2 economy until recently so why is refined metal decreasing? because the amount of them that exist? also how come so many things have decreased in value over the years?

20 minutes ago, soulquarian33 said:

Ah okay that makes sense then I was never clued in with the tf2 economy until recently so why is refined metal decreasing? because the amount of them that exist? also how come so many things have decreased in value over the years?

Simple answer: Supply - of both items and sellers 

If you have say 200,0001 active tf2 people who get all their weapon drops (with 8 being the most likely amount to receive) that means every week there is 1.6 million weapons added which if scrapped equals ~89,000 new ref every week. Bit of an exaggerated example since a lot of people playing tf2 are private backpacks/can't trade/f2p who delete items but if you had even 1/4 of my previous number that's still 22,250 new ref, most of which isn't being destroyed in crafting. Keys on the other hand are increasing but not nearly as fast (about 50,000 more than last year compared to almost 1,000,000 more ref). Supply and demand kicks in; high demand for keys and low demand for ref makes keys worth more ref and this will keep happening unless tf2 implements a way to get rid of ref that people would actually want to use, which they probably won't add.

1) Assuming there are 4 time areas people play on with the average count being ~40,000 makes about 160,000 accounts regularly playing the game. 200,000 was a number I pulled from my ass but turned out to be pretty close so I'm not editing my maths. Mvm players who get a weapon every mission can make up for it :p

I was going to hold on to them and let them increase in value but I doubt that will work last time I bought 100 robo crates and they are barely worth anything now.

Is there anything that you can buy and sell them in a year or 2 and get a decent amount of metal?

Crates you got (except maybe the power house ones) are pretty desirable right now and since you can't find them anymore they will probably keep going up. Whether you make a decent amount off of them or just a scrap each is the real question.

1 hour ago, soulquarian33 said:

Is there anything that you can buy and sell them in a year or 2 and get a decent amount of metal?

Keys.

Seriously though, to make profit in the market, you need to be actively trading. Sitting on items like they were a 401K or IRA investment tends to be a horrible choice as it's relying on a spike in demand which typically will not come unless there's a significant change to the item or it's useage (for examples, when Strange Parts shot up dramatically because of the Strange Transfer Tool recipe or when the Federal Casemaker became all-class). In fact, it's more likely that something will cause the value of the item(s) to plummet. Just look at Unusual taunts nowadays compared to a year ago.

lol no.even if it does,it'll be like 1-2 refs or so.the price will usually be stable to the normal USD price.the only things that usually increases in price are glitched/retired items that can no longer be obtained by unboxing anymore.glitched items such as sleeveless in siberia shirt unusual or coldfront curbstomper.retired items are like the unusual weapons with the effect 'energy orb' since that effect is no longer unboxable or retired hats like batters helmet for scout

Okay then I'll keep a look out for those bargains that I can make a little metal on

I think you might be right looking at my alt account I got 250 robo crates for a total of 5 keys and since I paid 1 key for them back 4 years ago thats a whopping 4 key profit over 4 years lol

I added steam guard about 5 or 6 days ago so if you really want them you'll have to wait also how much per crate?

Archived