Very huge Brokering Scam

KillerPenWhale

I found a video on high tier trader scams if it helps at all i just looked it up on youtube: 

I hope i can help in some way! 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My hearts go out to anyone who lost items with this degenerate. But also let this be a learning experience. From what i've learned about the guys it looks like he had a shady past, trading with scammers, getting banned from trade servers, being a KNOWN sharker at times, so really to see that lead to stealing 10k worth of items is not a shock, he must have planned it from the start, and decided to run when the best opportunity came to him. No one just snaps like that and suddenly decides to vanish from the internet and run off with a crap ton of god tier items.

Just read the thread. I think the community should really move beyond brokers with all the services that have popped up over time. Backpack tf has an automated bumping system by donating a little money which you only need to log in once a week to keep your listings from being hidden. Outpost’s automations is dirt cheap. Marketplace takes a 10% cut but its convience is unmatched. What are brokers offering that you can’t automate/ do it cheaper yourself? If you are looking for maximum profit with some time investment, it’s better to learn yourself. If you are looking for minimal effort, there are so many ways to automate the process. 

4 hours ago, ksolis01 said:

Just read the thread. I think the community should really move beyond brokers with all the services that have popped up over time. Backpack tf has an automated bumping system by donating a little money which you only need to log in once a week to keep your listings from being hidden. Outpost’s automations is dirt cheap. Marketplace takes a 10% cut but its convience is unmatched. What are brokers offering that you can’t automate/ do it cheaper yourself? If you are looking for maximum profit with some time investment, it’s better to learn yourself. If you are looking for minimal effort, there are so many ways to automate the process. 

difference with a broker and an automated bot is that bots will use the sites while brokers will go into the game and advertise it.that way it gives more attention to people to know about their items and can negotiate on the spot.yes,it does mean some people are lazy and will give to broker to handle it.some do it free,cheap or charge some money or alot depending what kind of brokers you get.unlike bots,they are strict with their B/O

1 hour ago, Diamond jozu said:

difference with a broker and an automated bot is that bots will use the sites while brokers will go into the game and advertise it.that way it gives more attention to people to know about their items and can negotiate on the spot.yes,it does mean some people are lazy and will give to broker to handle it.some do it free,cheap or charge some money or alot depending what kind of brokers you get.unlike bots,they are strict with their B/O

Obvious risk reward scenario. There's basically one maybe two trade servers left that have the same like 50 people on them and those are the same people that probably have already seen your hat advertised. The risk with how many fucking times this happens is so high it's beyond me why anyone would continue to risk giving other people their hats at this point when literally anybody can broker a hat (I have successfully brokered hats in the past and it's not hard at all and doesn't require any specific skillset)

27 minutes ago, HarryG said:

Obvious risk reward scenario. There's basically one maybe two trade servers left that have the same like 50 people on them and those are the same people that probably have already seen your hat advertised. The risk with how many fucking times this happens is so high it's beyond me why anyone would continue to risk giving other people their hats at this point when literally anybody can broker a hat (I have successfully brokered hats in the past and it's not hard at all and doesn't require any specific skillset)

its just up to people if they feel like their trading skills is bad even if they have a bot,they will ask someone to broker it.

8 hours ago, Diamond jozu said:

I’ve never sold anything in game. Trade servers are literal cancer with everyone trying to sell high and/or quick buying. The opportunity cost of the time you spend on the server to sel one item is not worth it. Also, just put in your listing description to add you for negotiations.

Sender Recipient Time Sent Message

Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:26pm EDT 8) yes
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:26pm EDT if you're into that kinda thing i'm down
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:24pm EDT call me papi it arouses me
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:24pm EDT indeed daddy
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:24pm EDT get me that cash dad
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:23pm EDT aight
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:23pm EDT accepted
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:20pm EDT xddddd
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:20pm EDT 8)
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:20pm EDT to flexxx
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:20pm EDT im in the server
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:19pm EDT yea ill try and do that
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:19pm EDT 150 in items I'd bust a nut
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:19pm EDT upwards to 150 probs but ill see
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:19pm EDT no sellers
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:19pm EDT more
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:19pm EDT hmm actually
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:18pm EDT uh probs 100
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:18pm EDT sold a cancer burning vive for 600 in doiwngrade
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:18pm EDT what can you get for the shellmet
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:18pm EDT mainly the pithy and the rocket launcher and the shellmet
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:18pm EDT ill sell em ;)
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:18pm EDT ok, if you cant sell some of em its alright
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:18pm EDT alright ill try my best
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:17pm EDT yeah sure
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:17pm EDT u have 9 keys i can use ther 4 for potential adds?
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:17pm EDT alrighty thanks for doing this
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:17pm EDT hmm alright ill send you the offer
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:17pm EDT not really, I'd say just quicksell the taunt and rocket launcher and use those keys for adds
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:16pm EDT yea
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:16pm EDT you mean like sweets?
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:16pm EDT eh maybe
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:15pm EDT cuz some people want other stuff y'knoiw what i mean
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:15pm EDT u got more stuff i can add to trades if not uinuisuals
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:15pm EDT alright
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:15pm EDT you can add the 5 keys too I've already got em
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:15pm EDT can you make me the trade I've gotta brb real quick
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:14pm EDT alright ill try my best
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:13pm EDT holy
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:13pm EDT https://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198365923475
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:13pm EDT 10
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:13pm EDT how many?
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:12pm EDT you're my babe ily, so you can do all my hats?
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:12pm EDT since we're long term friends
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:12pm EDT but yea i dont need more then 5 keys for you
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:12pm EDT its a lifestyle
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:12pm EDT hell yeah
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:12pm EDT xd
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:12pm EDT #high 60's
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:12pm EDT i can relate
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:11pm EDT I just cant trade and school at the same time rn
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:11pm EDT I promise I'm not quitting
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:11pm EDT :c
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:11pm EDT not again
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:11pm EDT zoomma u left me once
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:11pm EDT I'm not able to trade with finals n shit but I got some bad hats I need to get rid of
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:11pm EDT wtf...
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:11pm EDT all my hats xd
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:10pm EDT cuz im already brokering a vintage max scortcing boa and misty skull fed
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:10pm EDT what is it
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:10pm EDT huh?
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:10pm EDT I'll give you more than that, I need you to broker more than one hat
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:10pm EDT oh alright
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:09pm EDT i can charge a flat fee of 5 keys and less depending on how much its worth
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:09pm EDT siunce ive known u for a long time
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:09pm EDT actually
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:08pm EDT okay I'll keep you in mind
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:06pm EDT ;)
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:02pm EDT ill inform you of offers and ill allow you to make the decision whether to pas or take it
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:02pm EDT 5% fee
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:02pm EDT how are you running your broker service
Merp #brokering zoomma Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:02pm EDT sup
zoomma Merp #brokering Jun 6, 2018 @ 9:01pm EDT ay merp

I hope what I posted above can help with this problem, I've been trading for quite a while and now sadly I think its all over..

Apparently GamePan is in contact with merps friends on another social media but she has ignored all response towards merp.i hope she can contact pan soon and hopefully he can get merp's real face and can face criminal charges

2 hours ago, Diamond jozu said:

Apparently GamePan is in contact with merps friends on another social media but she has ignored all response towards merp.i hope she can contact pan soon and hopefully he can get merp's real face and can face criminal charges

GamePan is a complete goofball at best, for whatever it's worth.

What a son of a bitch. 

Guys, don't be idiots, please. Giving your items to someone is one big ass stupid thing to do. Most people that i saw "brokering" your stuff, wont get you a good deal anyway, and its an absolute waste of time. The real good traders, wont broker for anyone, most brokers i saw out there are absolute crap and know nothing about trading. The best advice i can give people out there that need help in selling their stuff, just consult with high-tier known traders, they know the best and you wont have to trade your stuff to anyone. I cant believe people still do that, why ? 

1 hour ago, NOpainNOgain said:

The best advice i can give people out there that need help in selling their stuff, just consult with high-tier known traders

Worst advice ever! You mean traders like...

With all the sharks in that group I reckon your items are safer with a sketchy broker

4 hours ago, LeROY said:

Worst advice ever! You mean traders like...

With all the sharks in that group I reckon your items are safer with a sketchy broker

Mate... your items are safer when they are inside your backpack, and you can choose the people to consult with. I can personally help if anyone needs one, and i know a thing or two about trading trust me.

Being a broker myself, I know the ups and downs of the business, what to do and what the redflags are you that should not have as a broker.

For that reason, I'll give you a guide right here and now on redflags and what to do with them.

1) The Broker in question has been/is currently banned on TF2 websites.

One of the first things and easiest ones you can check really, get on rep.tf, copy and paste the SteamID or profile URL and voila, you got an overview on all the (major) websites which matter mostly.

If he is banned on one of those, a red flag should already appear before your eyes, even if it is for a minor offense like spamming, it shows a lack of respect towards the community and may result in a lack of respect for you, resulting in a running broker.

2) He is being rude, hasty,.... towards you and is known for that.

A little bit of the above really, it shows a lack of respect.

If he is rude or such, it may just mean it is his personality clashing with yours in some situations, but in most cases it is to test if you are still willing to let him broker for you even after he has been rude towards you, or really, that you trust him a tiny bit but enough already.

When those traits come up, ask another trader who uses brokers if he has more information on that broker, if he has, and it is negative you should not pursue him anymore.

3) He is in a negative spotlight in the community in terms of trading.

Truly the best source of information if from the community, so go ask on forums or TF2 discords for more information on this person, normally you will get a response in minutes helping you.

For example, I'll use Erik, which is a well-known broker.

"Excuse me, but could I get more information on Erik? I want to let him broker for me but I'm not sure"

If you get a reply as following, "Erik is trustworthy, he has a high-value backpack and is notorious for being a good broker" from multiple persons, you can proceed with it.

But if you get multiple replies like these, "Erik has partnered with shady persons before and has traded with scammers knowingly before", you should think twice.

If he is notorious for posting "bad" memes that should not be an issue, that is a personal opinion.

4) He puts in no effort during the brokering.

This may be due to numerous reasons, most are due to school and work, but if they are constantly online playing games and never bumping your items it shows they lack the input they should be putting in.

It MAY, a strong emphasis on may, lead to a situation where you want to withdraw your item but he does not give it back due to being "busy".

In some situations it can lead to them stockpiling brokering jobs, putting in low to no effort at all and giving you fake (lowball) offers you sure will decline.

And once they have enough items or reached a certain amount of value, they quicksell them for a low price and run.

5) Trust on backpack.tf/trust threads on other websites.

The last and final point, and one of the easiest ones to do is check rep really, on website such as FoG they have reputation threads you can use to give potential brokering jobs/cash trades a bit of trust into you.

A red flag in this situation would be that he never replied, never kept up to date and was always non-mannered, you should not trust the broker.

The reason is, if it is old, it will have been reported by the broker atleast once and requested to be removed, if it is a couple of weeks old you can be sure that is authentic and solid proof.

And obviously, if he has a minus rep with the description on that being that he ran and it is a couple of days/hours fresh just take your items and search for the next one.

You can always ask for information for starting to broker too, just add me on steam.

Just be sure to be safe and not get your items taken away by some douches.

Cheers!

On 6/7/2018 at 10:01 PM, 🍀Swazzy🍀 said:

I'm pretty sure someone is close enough to him to get to know him on a personal level. Not sure if jurisdiction is a playing factor with virtual items but they do hold real world value so maybe try getting in contact with  someone who knows him well and get them to provide details of their whereabouts. From there you can get their general location at least if you want police to get involved. 

Edit: Also not trying to judge you or anything but for a person who created an account like a month ago with 60 hours, thats a lot of money to drop on god-tiers, let alone unusuals itself. Thats like a quantum leap from baby steps, holy hell 

On the legal side it’s a gray zone about virtual items that being said I was scammed from cash trying to buy a csgo knife and after a long fight I won my battle took about 5 months

On 6/7/2018 at 11:00 PM, FireballNitro said:

It's very rare that PayPal sides with the person selling virtual goods in the instance of a chargeback. You have a good chance of winning regardless of what evidence either side gives. Virtual items are NOT protected under seller protection so if you paid via goods and services you're in a pretty good spot. However, if it was with a card, even if you win the case PayPal will file a case against your credit card company to retrieve the money. That's how I won one of my chargeback cases once.

On top of my other comment my case was one due to buyers protection on my debit card and NOT PayPal they don’t care

I'd rather the inconvenience of selling my own stuff than the ongoing wondering of whether the "broker" will steal my stuff. It's not worth the risk to have someone broker your items. Simply put it, you're taking 100% the risk.

& even then

3 hours ago, n_n said:

I'd rather the inconvenience of selling my own stuff than the ongoing wondering of whether the "broker" will steal my stuff. It's not worth the risk to have someone broker your items. Simply put it, you're taking 100% the risk.

& even then, I wouldn't let someone broker for me unless I knew them IRL. Granted doesn't stop the act of rouge brokers but bare minimum for anyone brokering my stuff. In the same regard as I would give lend money to strangers rather than people I personally know.

Archived