Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Apo

U.S. Supreme Court overturns ban on sports gambling. How/do you think this will affect eSports & Skin Betting?

Recommended Posts

saveriocello    63
saveriocello

two different animals, sports dont have value bets are places on how good or well liked a team is. skin betting is using items that have a cash backing in types of betting your likely to see in a real casino. it may have a step forward into making it legal but i doubt it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Loaferman    48
Loaferman

The problem in cs go gambling is that they cannot control children from gambling unlike in casinos where there is an age restriction. This overturned ban will not change anything in regards to skin/online gambling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Apo    786
Apo
29 minutes ago, saveriocello said:

two different animals, sports dont have value bets are places on how good or well liked a team is. skin betting is using items that have a cash backing in types of betting your likely to see in a real casino. it may have a step forward into making it legal but i doubt it

Sports don't have value? What?

I am having trouble trying to comprehend your post.

 

From how I understand it, match betting on 'irl sports' (Bet $ on what team you think will win) would be comparable to how saloon.tf worked for tf2 eSports. (Bet items on what team you think will win)

 

10 minutes ago, Loaferman said:

The problem in cs go gambling is that they cannot control children from gambling unlike in casinos where there is an age restriction. This overturned ban will not change anything in regards to skin/online gambling.

That's a fair point.

However, I think that eSports betting w/ items could potentially be adapted by gaming bars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zeus_Junior    101
Zeus_Junior
29 minutes ago, Apo said:

-

Saloon.tf was actually fun to bet on, shame it shut down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FLAIMBOT_    354
FLAIMBOT_

I don't understand why they would even try to ban sports gambling in the first place.

Just stay out of our business, holy shit.. If we want to gamble, then let us!

 

That's not to say that we should just be able to do whatever we want.. for example you couldn't rearrange that phrase to "If we want to commit murders without punishments, then let us!", but I am just saying that the government has a lot more shit to worry about than gambling, which in my opinion is a very personal choice whether you want to indulge in it or not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scott Bakula    1110
Scott Bakula
36 minutes ago, FLAIMBOT_ said:

I don't understand why they would even try to ban sports gambling in the first place

 

Because it leads to a rather sizable amount of corruption with people/teams intentionally losing for payoffs. A great American example being the Black Sox Scandal, where the White Sox threw the 1919 World Series for a massive payout from a gambling syndicate. Or if you want an esports example, in 2014, two DotA players (ddz & Lance of Arrow Gaming) had their girlfriends bet many rare items against them, then proceeded to throw the match.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazyy Cow    33
Crazyy Cow
2 hours ago, FLAIMBOT_ said:

I don't understand why they would even try to ban sports gambling in the first place.

Just stay out of our business, holy shit.. If we want to gamble, then let us!

 

That's not to say that we should just be able to do whatever we want.. for example you couldn't rearrange that phrase to "If we want to commit murders without punishments, then let us!", but I am just saying that the government has a lot more shit to worry about than gambling, which in my opinion is a very personal choice whether you want to indulge in it or not

This is skewed logic. I mean you could say the exact same thing about drugs. If we want to use heroin and crack cocaine all day every day, then let us! But the world doesn't work like that. If everyone was fucking high things would not be good. Same thing if misguided heavy betters start to regularly drop their life savings on random chance games. Shit just won't be good. Both are personal choices but both have effects that aren't very good if unregulated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FLAIMBOT_    354
FLAIMBOT_
29 minutes ago, Crazyy Cow said:

This is skewed logic. I mean you could say the exact same thing about drugs. If we want to use heroin and crack cocaine all day every day, then let us! But the world doesn't work like that. If everyone was fucking high things would not be good. Same thing if misguided heavy betters start to regularly drop their life savings on random chance games. Shit just won't be good. Both are personal choices but both have effects that aren't very good if unregulated.

 

Didn't even bother reading my whole post which was only 4 sentences. Thanks for commenting back.

Try again?:

2 hours ago, FLAIMBOT_ said:

That's not to say that we should just be able to do whatever we want.. for example you couldn't rearrange that phrase to "If we want to commit murders without punishments, then let us!", but I am just saying that the government has a lot more shit to worry about than gambling, which in my opinion is a very personal choice whether you want to indulge in it or not

 

 

///////////

 

1 hour ago, Scott Bakula said:

 

Because it leads to a rather sizable amount of corruption with people/teams intentionally losing for payoffs. A great American example being the Black Sox Scandal, where the White Sox threw the 1919 World Series for a massive payout from a gambling syndicate. Or if you want an esports example, in 2014, two DotA players (ddz & Lance of Arrow Gaming) had their girlfriends bet many rare items against them, then proceeded to throw the match.

 

This is a separate issue. Banning all gambling in sports because of throwers isn't fair imo. You let a few bad apples ruin the fun for everyone. Maybe some betting programs/leagues would have some sort of formal certification where you are insured to get your money back in the event of a thrown match. Like you are insured up to $20k or something. So if a consumer bet with an uncertified betting league/program then they run the risk and accept the ToS that even in the event of a thrown game they will lose their bet, but if you bet with a certified betting league/program then if someone throws a game all bets can be reversed so everyone goes home with their original bet.

 

My TLDR: I think gambling is a really personal choice, and the government shouldn't be able to decide if you can/can't do it. It is harmful if done too much, but so is anything. You can lose a million betting in a casino just as easily (if not more) than you could betting on sports matches, so what is the big deal? Why ban betting on (e)sports matches?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
saveriocello    63
saveriocello
8 hours ago, Apo said:

Sports don't have value? What?

I am having trouble trying to comprehend your post.

 

From how I understand it, match betting on 'irl sports' (Bet $ on what team you think will win) would be comparable to how saloon.tf worked for tf2 eSports. (Bet items on what team you think will win)

what loafer said sums up what i meant 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheWiz    69
TheWiz
31 minutes ago, FLAIMBOT_ said:

This is a separate issue. Banning all gambling in sports because of throwers isn't fair imo. You let a few bad apples ruin the fun for everyone. Maybe some betting programs/leagues would have some sort of formal certification where you are insured to get your money back in the event of a thrown match. Like you are insured up to $20k or something. So if a consumer bet with an uncertified betting league/program then they run the risk and accept the ToS that even in the event of a thrown game they will lose their bet, but if you bet with a certified betting league/program then if someone throws a game all bets can be reversed so everyone goes home with their original bet.

 

My TLDR: I think gambling is a really personal choice, and the government shouldn't be able to decide if you can/can't do it. It is harmful if done too much, but so is anything. You can lose a million betting in a casino just as easily (if not more) than you could betting on sports matches, so what is the big deal? Why ban betting on (e)sports matches?

 Neat idea, although game throwing affects the entire industry of that sport, not just the betting part. Would you prefer paying for a ticket and going to a game that you know there are no incentives of throwing, or paying for a ticket and end up watching a game that was thrown? With uncertainty leads to less people willing to pay ticket prices to watch the game, so you either have to do something to prevent incentives for throwing games, or you have to lower your ticket prices to try and draw people back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Budi    388
Budi
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, FLAIMBOT_ said:

Didn't even bother reading my whole post which was only 4 sentences. Thanks for commenting back.

Try again?:

 

///////////

 

This is a separate issue. Banning all gambling in sports because of throwers isn't fair imo. You let a few bad apples ruin the fun for everyone. Maybe some betting programs/leagues would have some sort of formal certification where you are insured to get your money back in the event of a thrown match. Like you are insured up to $20k or something. So if a consumer bet with an uncertified betting league/program then they run the risk and accept the ToS that even in the event of a thrown game they will lose their bet, but if you bet with a certified betting league/program then if someone throws a game all bets can be reversed so everyone goes home with their original bet.

 

My TLDR: I think gambling is a really personal choice, and the government shouldn't be able to decide if you can/can't do it. It is harmful if done too much, but so is anything. You can lose a million betting in a casino just as easily (if not more) than you could betting on sports matches, so what is the big deal? Why ban betting on (e)sports matches?

 

The main thing you're not getting is that gambling is for 21+ year olds in the United States (aside from Indian Reservations which are usually 18+). It's been that way for a long time, and is heavily checked at any major casino, sports betting site. Because you're talking about an industry with gamers where many are under the age of 21, they aren't going to want to get into having to sort through every single person to verify if they are over 21. If they did, basically every single site tied to Steam, CS Go, whatever would have to have age verifications in place, address checks, social security number checks for taxing proceeds, etc. All those things are in place with casinos already. The issue is Steam and any other eSports site doesn't want to get involved in the hassle of all of that. They make shit tons of money already, they aren't interested in chasing young (poor) kids gambling percentage cuts when they make millions off you legitimately buying games and pixelated items already. 

Edited by Budi
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×