Protection for new unboxers from "sharks".

Eclips

• Administrators
On 10/05/2018 at 12:21 PM, Fire ̷̨●̷̨° said:

Revert this change or I will not be paying for VIP any longer. Fuck sharks, but don't punish the rest of us by limiting features.

Feel free. We value protecting people from being exploited more than we value your money.

1 hour ago, Teeny Tiny Cat said:

Feel free. We value protecting people from being exploited more than we value your money.

I have added people who I have seen might have unboxed something of value many times leaving comments on their profiles to warn them of scammers and if they need help feel free to add me. When I came to you a while back to report a shark you refused to do anything saying we don't deal with that.

I find it strange also that it took you 2 days to make this choice without even trying to get feedback. It really makes me upset because not only does this effect Unusuals but searching for glitched or rare items. For example I can no longer check Normal items to see if any new ones have been created, or check the new support granted filter to see if any new Valve created items have been created. As well, like I stated before, coming here to check to see if anything interesting has been unboxed was something I loved to do.

I don't think it's right everyone get punished with the removal of features in this way. If you are going to do this do it for new accounts or people without Karma or something so not everyone is being restricted.

14 minutes ago, Fire ̷̨●̷̨° said:

I have added people who I have seen might have unboxed something of value many times leaving comments on their profiles to warn them of scammers and if they need help feel free to add me. When I came to you a while back to report a shark you refused to do anything saying we don't deal with that.

I find it strange also that it took you 2 days to make this choice without even trying to get feedback. It really makes me upset because not only does this effect Unusuals but searching for glitched or rare items. For example I can no longer check Normal items to see if any new ones have been created, or check the new support granted filter to see if any new Valve created items have been created. As well, like I stated before, coming here to check to see if anything interesting has been unboxed was something I loved to do.

I don't think it's right everyone get punished with the removal of features in this way. If you are going to do this do it for new accounts or people without Karma or something so not everyone is being restricted.

Teeny got alot of feedback from the discord server btw + this has been requested many times before. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Fire ̷̨●̷̨° said:

When I came to you a while back to report a shark you refused to do anything saying we don't deal with that.

If you report things without proof that they break the rules, of course I can't do anything.

I didn't make this choice in 2 days. This has been a topic of consideration for YEARS.  

Nobody got punished, it's not a feature anyone needs.

39 minutes ago, Teeny Tiny Cat said:

If you report things without proof that they break the rules, of course I can't do anything.

I didn't make this choice in 2 days. This has been a topic of consideration for YEARS.  

Nobody got punished, it's not a feature anyone needs.

I enjoyed the feature of seeing new items that were created. I'm not a big trader but sometimes something gets unboxed that I might not even know I wanted until I see it. Or with glitched items when I'm waiting to see if any new ones are created. It isn't just a feature that people with bad intentions enjoy.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Fire ̷̨●̷̨° said:

I enjoyed the feature of seeing new items that were created. I'm not a big trader but sometimes something gets unboxed that I might not even know I wanted until I see it. Or with glitched items when I'm waiting to see if any new ones are created. It isn't just a feature that people with bad intentions enjoy.

Well I am sorry that you aren't able to do that anymore, but it's still a worthwhile sacrifice.

Hey @Teeny Tiny Cat would it be worth while blocking just unusual quality from the search, instead of all items. Cos there are quite a few people who do look for some rare items(craft number ,levels, other weird uncraftable shit) that are impractical to search item by item. Aren't unusuals 99% of the sharks anyway, those and GPans maybe.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, appy said:

Hey @Teeny Tiny Cat would it be worth while blocking just unusual quality from the search, instead of all items. Cos there are quite a few people who do look for some rare items(craft number ,levels, other weird uncraftable shit) that are impractical to search item by item. Aren't unusuals 99% of the sharks anyway, those and GPans maybe.

When testing, fiskie found that just disallowing searching for unusuals was very easy to get around with other filters, so unfortunately that isn't sufficient. But we're aware some people used it to find craft numbers and such, and if a solution that doesn't provide loopholes occurs it will be implemented.

How about you add a item 

10 hours ago, Teeny Tiny Cat said:

When testing, fiskie found that just disallowing searching for unusuals was very easy to get around with other filters, so unfortunately that isn't sufficient. But we're aware some people used it to find craft numbers and such, and if a solution that doesn't provide loopholes occurs it will be implemented.

How would they get around it? The only thing you would need to do would be if a person uses the Unusual Filter or any Effect Filter it will require a Item Filter as well. Every other filter including Origin Unboxed would still take people pages of searching to find Unusuals.

I still agree with this change, the only reason people would search for newely unboxed unusuals is so they can aquire them 'hopefully' for very little. If you were looking for an unusual you wanted you would know what hat or effect, or both and as such, this change wouldn't effect you.

Either that, or I don't understand the purpose looking up newly unboxed unusuals because 90% of the time it's some new user inexperienced user who unboxed it.

I only feel this way towards unusuals, not being able to look up new normal items kinda sucks though.

25 minutes ago, IDGCaptainRussia said:

I still agree with this change, the only reason people would search for newely unboxed unusuals is so they can aquire them 'hopefully' for very little. If you were looking for an unusual you wanted you would know what hat or effect, or both and as such, this change wouldn't effect you.

Either that, or I don't understand the purpose looking up newly unboxed unusuals because 90% of the time it's some new user inexperienced user who unboxed it.

I only feel this way towards unusuals, not being able to look up new normal items kinda sucks though.

I rarely buy unusuals but I find it interesting to keep track of what new ones get unboxed. It will also now be insanely hard to find out if a glitched unusual gets added or if a new hat previously not in the unusual pool is added. Remember the Unusuals shirts and pants (Coldfront Curbstompers/Sleeveless in Siberia)? Remember the unusuals heads being added and no updates notes about it (Texas Slims Dome Shine)?

On 5/13/2018 at 7:35 PM, Fire ̷̨●̷̨° said:

I rarely buy unusuals but I find it interesting to keep track of what new ones get unboxed. It will also now be insanely hard to find out if a glitched unusual gets added or if a new hat previously not in the unusual pool is added. Remember the Unusuals shirts and pants (Coldfront Curbstompers/Sleeveless in Siberia)? Remember the unusuals heads being added and no updates notes about it (Texas Slims Dome Shine)?

I know of the glitched EOTL items, didn't know about the Slims, this was before my time.

While finding new stuff like this is cool, protecting users from the infamous sharkers is more important than our own selfish curiosity.

I'm likely going to miss the next cool glitched unbox, but atleast the waters will be secured to prevent sharks from getting in as well.

• Administrators

I've requested a change to only require item input if using unusual or strange quality filter. All other qualities are searchable without it. Should hopefully stop it getting in the way for craft number collectors, etc, while still protecting the users we are seeking to help. Let's see how it goes.

16 hours ago, Teeny Tiny Cat said:

I've requested a change to only require item input if using unusual or strange quality filter. All other qualities are searchable without it. Should hopefully stop it getting in the way for craft number collectors, etc, while still protecting the users we are seeking to help. Let's see how it goes.

Better than the first implementation. What is the reason for blocking Strange or Self Made items? Also would it be possible to allow a Strange search if you put in a craft #? Because craft numbers can be strange also.

Archived