A few questions for computer peoples

Chilled Soda

Processor: AMD Athlon X4 880K 4GHz (Overclocked to 4.4GHz), 4 cores (Thinking of upgrading to the Ryzen 5 2400G - GOOD or BAD idea?)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Memory: 16GB of DDR3 Memory running at 1600MHz
Storage: 1TB Hard Drive
Power Supply: 500W
Available Rear Ports: 2x USB3.0, 4x USB2.0
Triple monitor support
Windows 10 
24X DVD/CD Drive

I'm ready to buy this pre-built PC on Craigslist, would this be suitable for my gaming needs? I promise I'll learn all about computers soon.

Games:

• Overwatch (probably the beefiest)
  • Fortnite
  • TF2

I'd like to get all of them to 60fps+ on good settings, more if possible. Might try streaming at some point.

If there are issues with it (e.g. the processor will bottleneck the system), how hard would it be to upgrade that part?

Thanks lads. I'll try and get something for the special cookies who help me a lot.

8 minutes ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

Depends, what are you trying to play? You said your gaming needs but didnt list your needs :P

added ;) thanks mate

Hah! You'd be lucky to get 10 fps in TF2!

Jokes aside, your computer will definitely be able to handle Overwatch and TF2 at 60+ fps. I have the same graphics card but a worse CPU, and I get a very stable fps in overwatch of around 80. TF2 is...well... you know. Performance-wise atleast. But I do get 100+ fps with a good config. It does dip to 60-80 when in heavy combat though.

I haven't tried Fortnite, but unless it suffers from typical battlegrounds optimization, it should never go below 60 fps.

If you can, get a 144Hz monitor for increased smoothness.

Don't. The CPU will bottleneck the GPU. I suggest looking for ryzens or i5/i3 only instead of this.

@Chilled Soda

The G2200 is around 5-10% slower than the G2400, but it's cheaper. R5 1600 is pretty cool, but for the same price you can have a i5 8400 which is 10-20% better (in gaming). Also try to look for pre-made builds from people, not from shops/sellers, because a shop will try to sell you the worst thing for the highest price (obviously).

SSD? Must-have.

The 144Hz monitor should be your personal choice.

CD/DVD? Not necessary, but your choice too.

PSU? Don' take "no names".

Also try to look for DDR4. If you will find something in your price range with gtx 1060, i5 8400, ddr4, ssd - take it.

2 minutes ago, Cubbysablo said:

Hah! You'd be lucky to get 10 fps in TF2!

Jokes aside, your computer will definitely be able to handle Overwatch and TF2 at 60+ fps. I have the same graphics card but a worse CPU, and I get a very stable fps in overwatch of around 80. TF2 is...well... you know. Performance-wise atleast. But I do get 100+ fps with a good config. It does dip to 60-80 when in heavy combat though.

I haven't tried Fortnite, but unless it suffers from typical battlegrounds optimization, it should never go below 60 fps.

If you can, get a 144Hz monitor for increased smoothness.

Thanks! I'll look into the monitor, currently I have none :(

Just now, Piterek said:

Don't. The CPU will bottleneck the GPU. I suggest looking for ryzens or i5/i3 only instead of this.

I was looking into upgrading the CPU to the Ryzen 5 2400G, would that be a good idea?

it's good enough! but yeah, you should probably upgrade the cpu when you have the chance.

ryzen 5 1600 is a good choice as well, its 6-cores and its a little more expensive than the ryzen 5 2400g but it's well worth the extra bucks.

since youre streaming and stuff, i think this cpu is a good choice because of its extra 2 cores so you can multi-task while playing games.

i actually have the r5 1600, i can have a lot of softwares on like spotify, discord, adobe premiere pro, skype and tf2 and it will still only use 25% of the CPU. it's pretty good.

2 hours ago, Chilled Soda said:

Thanks! I'll look into the monitor, currently I have none :(

I was looking into upgrading the CPU to the Ryzen 5 2400G, would that be a good idea?

1. You don't need a 144hz, thats just overkill / rich boy non-sense, idk if you'll even play many games that support that. It's a huge waste of money if you need to upgrade better things (e.g. your CPU, which might actually be cheaper then a 144hz monitor if you get a good one)

2. Yeah, I'm more of an intel guy myself but the ryzen 5 would be a much better upgrade to what you have and won't bottleneck.

3 hours ago, Chilled Soda said:

added ;) thanks mate

(werent we friends b4? Idk xD) my friends list is full so it probably didnt work, added you though if you need me

I'm not into advanced stuff regarding PC builds but I might be able to give you some insight of how a similar tiered PC performs.

I do have the same graphics card but a better CPU. Fortnite runs smoothly at 60 FPS on ultra settings(V-SYNC) and with some settings tweaked it runs smoothly at 144 FPS. Barely played Overwatch but I remember that I didn't experience any issues. TF2 runs at 100-130 FPS on highest settings.

I'd go for a better CPU and maybe buy an SSD. 

Bro,honestly you don't need a ssd or a 144hz monitor,try to go for a 1060 6gb,it will last you a while(i have the zotac 1060 6gb),and if you can go for the Ryzen 5 2400G  after the graphics card.

How much money is the "pre built pc off of craigslist'?

P.S. I hate saying those words together.

Ok so the 2400G is an APU as a pose to a CPU, the difference is that the APU is designed to be a bit more budget and is sort of a hybrid between a GPU and CPU, because quite a lot of people cant afford GPUs atm. Given that you have a 1060 in your build, the 2400G is kinda a downgrade. Personally, and this is just my opinion, go for a Ryzen 2600 with the 1060, as the 19mb of l2 cache makes it insanely quick for the budget. However with this option, you're unlikely to find a motherboard that has the best support for DDR3 and the chipset for the 2600, so you will most likely need to go up to DDR4, which is far more expensive, but far more powerful,  so Id take 8gb rather than 16gb of DDR3. 

Other things ive found that help:

• Swapping a HDD for SSHD, not a massive price difference, and gives it a bit more of an edge and makes it quieter
  • Making sure that you got a good PSU, because if the PSU kicks it then you'll be paying for more than just a new PSU

Also yes your pc will run all of that lmao, if your budget is anywhere near enough to afford a decent GPU atm

Hope this helps

I would definitely upgrade to Ryzen 2 as it has the best performance and you get a good stock cooler that doesn't need to be replaced like the Intel one. As others have said, don't upgrade to the 2200G or the 2400G as you already have a GPU and go for an X470 motherboard (which ever you like) to pair with the 2600 or 2600X depending on whether you want higher base and boost speeds.  I would add an SSD as a boot drive for the best deal and amount of storage you can obtain. 

Also as it looks like your buying this second hand, remember to go with an air compressor or canned air to clean out any dust that might be in the system.

I've finalised the purchase for 480 euro including shipping to my house, it comes with a 21" AOC Gaming Monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Things I'm going to look into:

• Saving for a SSD
  • Saving for a better CPU (looking at the Ryzen 5)
  • Cleaning it properly when I get it

Thanks for all the advice fellas, I'm super broke so for now I'll have to stick with this

10 minutes ago, Chilled Soda said:

Saving for a better CPU (looking at the Ryzen 5)

Don't forget that you'll also need new RAM and a new motherboard to go with that. 

Just now, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

Don't forget that you'll also need new RAM and a new motherboard to go with that. 

why new motherboard? I thought I just have to stick with an AMD brand cpu?

5 minutes ago, Chilled Soda said:

why new motherboard? I thought I just have to stick with an AMD brand cpu?

Because the 880k is on the ancient FM2+ platform and Ryzen requires an AM4 motherboard. 

Just now, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

Because the 880k is on the ancient FM2+ platform and Ryzen requires an AM4 motherboard. 

ah I see, ok thanks, I'll keep that in mind

Archived