More Sophisticated Scamming Method, Ways to Protect Yourself

ksolis01

Link for those who haven't heard about it yet:

https://marketplace.tf/blog/posts/YHLZOB

Concerning this method, what do you guys are the best ways to protect yourself from this method and possible future ones? I know guides and other stuff have been written out but methods like this show that scammers are refining their methods. Refined methods that are much more successful at getting people beyond the most gullible.

Will be adding ideas from whatever is posted to the list.

Ideas for User:

• constant vigilance
  • Always look up links yourself
  • if something is fishy, check rep tf and their steam profile. 
    • Never listen to someone telling you to deposit an item to a trading service, there is no reason to
  • Immediately block flags
    • No hours in game items they want to buy
    • Involves alts
  • Moderate flags
    • low level profile
    • VAC ban

Website Suggestions:

• Marketplace.tf
    •  
  • Backpack.tf
    • Similar to marketplace.tf's psa, have a accessible way of telling users of the latest scam methods. 

This website here: steamcomnnunutly is a scam site that works like the phish attempt that Marketplace.tf warned about. It copies the Steam Community site so well, it almost got me to sign in (but I remembered that API keys exist). 

Some things to keep in mind while looking at a site that looks like the legitimate steam community site is to look at the URL box. If you don't see Valve Corp. [US] in green text, the site is most likely a scam site. The second most obvious factor would be looking at the URL text of the page. If any of the words are mispelled, its a scam website. Websites like these try to catch people on the details, and you need to stay vigilant and pay attention.

Use condoms. That's the best protection. 

25580a0d33dbeb15717f2f9d4eb76282.jpg

Also, booooy

10 minutes ago, Haxor Gaming said:

I DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY LOSS OF ACCOUNT DETAILS, ENTER THE SITE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Posting scam links here. Good job. Keep it up.

8 minutes ago, Haxor Gaming said:

This website here: https://steamcomnnunutly.com/ is a scam site that works like the phish attempt that Marketplace.tf warned about. It copies the Steam Community site so well, it almost got me to sign in (but I remembered that API keys exist). 

Some things to keep in mind while looking at a site that looks like the legitimate steam community site is to look at the URL box. If you don't see Valve Corp. [US] in green text, the site is most likely a scam site. The second most obvious factor would be looking at the URL text of the page. If any of the words are mispelled, its a scam website. Websites like these try to catch people on the details, and you need to stay vigilant and pay attention.

I DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY LOSS OF ACCOUNT DETAILS, ENTER THE SITE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

why would post that link? you could have just told us about it. 

2 hours ago, grandma's cookies said:

why would post that link? you could have just told us about it. 

just wanted to point out, by quoting him you also posted the link

Archived