What to do with the 2 keys i got from trading?

trading guru

Just bought 2 keys today for a discount on both of them using the backpack.tf trade bots. Now that i have my first 2 keys i am not sure what to do with these items. 

i got the metal to get these keys by buying items when bots where selling those items for lower than the actual price then waiting for the prices to raise again so i could sell it. My goal here is to get a low tier unusual to start unusual trading and increase my my profits.

7 minutes ago, Scott Bakula said:

Buy 8 more keys. Then you can start trading.

Yep. You'll most likely find trading extremely boring with that stock, especially if you're here to make money. Invest more.

Sorry but the people above saying you should just buy more keys are wrong.

I never got rich like some people, but I earned $600+ in real cash (not steam wallet) in total after trading for a while, I just spent most of it over time and then decided to cash out to buy PC parts. And yeah unusual trading is pretty good in terms of profits, but you should look into it when you're comfortable enough with trading and not when you just hit around 8-10 keys.

I started with 6 ref after selling some low tier skin I won from a scrap.tf raffle, that was back in the day when keys were around 17 ref each. I traded up to 40-50 keys or so mostly by trading tf2 skins with bots and using the steam market.

Right now my bp is like 6 keys and it was around 4 yesterday I think. It's really easy if you know where to look for low and high prices from trading sites. I'm thinking about getting back to unusual trading after a week or two.

2 hours ago, Zumo de Pomelo said:

Sorry but the people above saying you should just buy more keys are wrong.

We aren't saying that a person can't trade up from that little to unusual trading; we're saying that it is not worth the time and effort compared to putting in an initial investment. Take your 2 keys for instance, how much of your time did you spend earning those 2 keys (this includes things like setting up the trades and combing the markets)? Now take that time spent and compare it to if you instead used that time working at your job. When you're dealing with the sub-unusual market, the profit to time ratio is so small that anyone who partakes in it is effectively working for far less than minimum wage.

33 minutes ago, Scott Bakula said:

We aren't saying that a person can't trade up from that little to unusual trading; we're saying that it is not worth the time and effort compared to putting in an initial investment. Take your 2 keys for instance, how much of your time did you spend earning those 2 keys (this includes things like setting up the trades and combing the markets)? Now take that time spent and compare it to if you instead used that time working at your job. When you're dealing with the sub-unusual market, the profit to time ratio is so small that anyone who partakes in it is effectively working for far less than minimum wage.

The point is to do it on your free time, or maybe he can't get a job because he's underage or he just enjoys trading or something else. Of course there's no point in trading if you can get a job. Not even unusual trading is worth it for 99.9% of people because there's a learning curve, there are risks, etc.

12 hours ago, Zumo de Pomelo said:

The point is to do it on your free time, or maybe he can't get a job because he's underage or he just enjoys trading or something else. Of course there's no point in trading if you can get a job. Not even unusual trading is worth it for 99.9% of people because there's a learning curve, there are risks, etc.

The best of both worlds is to start with a significant sink so you aren't trading scraps while still having fun with trading. Trading is fun but I rather be seeing a $5 profit instead of $0.10 result.

About worth for trading:

Trading can be made to an extremely passive, little time investment with decent profits. Just go in when it is the big times of year for profit, cough cough updates and Christmas. Automate most of your trades through marketplace and/or a bot. Done, better than minimum wage where I live, California.

7 hours ago, ksolis01 said:

The best of both worlds is to start with a significant sink so you aren't trading scraps while still having fun with trading. Trading is fun but I rather be seeing a $5 profit instead of $0.10 result.

About worth for trading:

Trading can be made to an extremely passive, little time investment with decent profits. Just go in when it is the big times of year for profit, cough cough updates and Christmas. Automate most of your trades through marketplace and/or a bot. Done, better than minimum wage where I live, California.

Learning how to trade for profit and setting up bots takes a good amount of time, but I agree that automation is definitely worth it if done correctly. And the truth is a good amount of people just don't know how to trade well and may end up losing value in trades. Sounds dumb, I know, but I've seen it happen a few times. That's why I say it's better to just get a job instead for most people, not to mention Valve can decide to do whatever they want when they want to, for example just look at the last csgo update. Trading is great but I would personally not make it my only primary source of income.

If I could easily buy keys to start trading then I would start with around 5-20 keys, learn the basics and then move onto unusual trading after a while. It's pretty easy to make bad unusual trades when you're just getting into it or at least it was for me even when I thought I was being careful.

Archived