Ongoing suggestions/issues with the reputation system.

jjjon123

I'd like to start off and say that the reputation system Brad implemented has great potential but at the current time, it is not much more useful than steam comments. I'd like it if this can be the main thread to discuss issues and possible fixes. I will try to maintain it by editing in suggestions from other users.

- As it stands now, it is not really different than steam comments other than you cannot delete them. There are a few possible features that could boost its potential  to be useful for gauging a users trust-ability.

#1 - All comments must have useful content at a moderator's approval

- Right now there is way too much spam. Comments like (+) "he makes good soap" and (+) "sent me phishing link but its ok" bring absolutely no credibility to the rep system. Do you really think people will take this system seriously when people post stuff like (+) "sent me a phishing link but its ok"??? How is it any different then steam comments if you can contest a negative comment with poor information but you can keep all your (+) "fast trader" nonsense. Requiring useful content for a vouch will add credibility to the new system.

* Cons to this option would be that it adds to the mod's workload

* Let me add this as a side-note, as horrible as butane and SOP was, what made it appealing was the effort they put into maintaining the quality of the reputation threads. If bp.tf put the same effort into maintaining the quality of comments, then the rep system would be much much more useful to everyone.

#2 - Allow any reputation but sort useful content to the top.

- Another option would be to separate actual useful comments like (+) "I have made Paypal transactions with him multiple times over the years. absolutely trustworthy!" and (-) "Quickswitched a gifted bmoc for clean bmoc in a counter-trade offer while saying he was getting a steam error. DO NOT TRUST HIM" from (+) "great trader" or (-) "bmoc scamer" this would probably require moderator approval as well but it would allow people to quickly see useful content about a person.

* Cons to this option would be the same as #1, it adds to the mod's workload

#3 - Sort comments by user's +reputation

- This is a system currently used by cs:go lounge and dota2 lounge, you cannot +rep someone unless you have more reputation than them. While that is a bad idea, a better idea would be to sort the comments of those with higher reputation to the top so you are more likely to read the comment of a competent user posting useful content. You can also see the vouches of more reputable traders first rather than having to sort through contentless spam to pick out the reputable people. The advantage of this is that you do not have to have moderators doing the sorting like with the other two.

* #4 - Allow others to view all reputation comments a user gives out (Credit to Unusual Neymar for this suggestion)

- This would allow users to gauge the credibility of other users comments by viewing the quality of comments they produce. If you have someone who only gives out (+) "great trade" or someone whose only comment is a slanderous -rep or a questionable +rep you can quickly tell that those comments are without careful thought or downright fake.

* #5 - Some kind of minimum requirements to post rep (Credit to Awesome for this suggestion)

- # of paid games, tf2 hours, etc. to prevent abuse of the system. Currently, this is not a big issue but ay be in the future.

What are your guys thoughts?

I like # 3

That way the reputable user's comments can be the top seen. As those are the important onces. 

Will add workload to the current staff and it's not like they are short on things to do . 

I like # 3

That way the reputable user's comments can be the top seen. As those are the important onces. 

Will add workload to the current staff and it's not like they are short on things to do . 

The thing is, with #1 and #2 all you would have to do is say "useful" or "not" to each +/-rep comment. It is not that much work to read a sentence and tell if it is useful content or trash.  If it is to much workload on the mod's then consider adding a staff member to do that job exclusively. You dont even have to know who posted it, all you do it mark it for useful content.

I think if the excuse for not doing that is "adds too much workload on the staff" then you arn't really prepared to take responsibility for a rep system.

The thing is, with #1 and #2 all you would have to do is say "useful" or "not" to each +/-rep comment. It is not that much work to read a sentence and tell if it is useful content or trash.  If it is to much workload on the mod's then consider adding a staff member to do that job exclusively. You dont even have to know who posted it, all you do it mark it for useful content.

I think if the excuse for not doing that is "adds too much workload on the staff" then you arn't really prepared to take responsibility for a rep system.

Wasn't saying it was a bad idea. Was just pointing out a con. But true you can add a mod or 2 to do that job.

But overall, I think these things should be considered.

Wouldn't want the system to end up as being + rep fast trade. + rep nice trader. Just like steam profiles.

It wont ever end up as a legit rep thread but having it be a bit meaningful to add to the users own rep threads and repuation is something I want it to end up as. 

Simple, add a new mod. 

I added this to the main post:

*Let me add this as a side-note, as horrible as butane and SOP was, what made it appealing was the effort they put into maintaining the quality of the reputation threads. If bp.tf put the same effort into maintaining the quality of comments, then the rep system would be much much more useful to everyone.

Okay I won't post stupid rep from now on

and "sent me phishing link but its ok"  lol puddington

I also like the idea of sorting rep based on the reputation of the people giving rep. Maybe there can be multiple options, like sort by date, reputation, or others.

* #4 - Allow others to view all reputation comments a user gives out (Credit to Unusual Neymar for this suggestion)

- This would allow users to gauge the credibility of other users comments by viewing the quality of comments they produce. If you have someone who only gives out (+) "great trade" or someone whose only comment is a slanderous -rep or a questionable +rep you can quickly tell that those comments are without careful thought or downright fake.

Sounds like the eBay feedback system where everyone can view all feedbacks of a user (feedbacks given and received)

I personally, would like more than 500 characters to write a review. I feel like 500 is not enough to explain a situation involving a negative trader.

I personally, would like more than 500 characters to write a review. I feel like 500 is not enough to explain a situation involving a negative trader.

Well, you do realize rep is only meaningful if people actually read it; and no one is going to want to read multiple essays about why a trader is good or bad. 

Use links to pastebins if you need more than 500 characters.

Some kind of restriction* (or a lot of moderation) to avoid fake rep (alts/etc...)

*like what steamtrades has, but instead of a $50+ game minimum, either have something based on play hours/bp value/games/etc...

Supposedly trust doesn't work until its "turned on" by the user. BUT, it should be active by default, with no way to disable it. 

Supposedly trust doesn't work until its "turned on" by the user. BUT, it should be active by default, with no way to disable it. 

I suspect that he was just making that up to give himself the appearance of having genuine concerns immediately after saying that he wants it to be optional. I just checked with one of my idle accounts that hasn't ever been onto backpack.tf (but has had its backpack scanned). It has its trust activated. If that does really happen then it's a bug that doesn't affect everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

#1 - All comments must have useful content at a moderator's approval

"sent me phishing link but its ok" bring absolutely no credibility to the rep system. Do you really think people will take this system seriously when people post stuff like (+) "sent me a phishing link but its ok"??? How is it any different then steam comments if you can contest a negative comment with poor information but you can keep all your (+) "fast trader" nonsense. Requiring useful content for a vouch will add credibility to the new system.

* Cons to this option would be that it adds to the mod's workload

"sent me phishing link but its ok" was actually given out by a bp.tf mod. Don't know how that would help if mods are playing around with this thing themselves. They are not taking it serious.

"sent me phishing link but its ok" was actually given out by a bp.tf mod. Don't know how that would help if mods are playing around with this thing themselves. They are not taking it serious.

Okay I won't post stupid rep from now on

and "sent me phishing link but its ok"  lol puddington

I also like the idea of sorting rep based on the reputation of the people giving rep. Maybe there can be multiple options, like sort by date, reputation, or others.

Archived