New scam attempt! WATCH OUT!

JasonFunderberker

Warning people about this because me, a 5 year trading veteran nearly fell for it so wanted to give people a heads up about it.

Premise of the scam: a guy wants to make you an admin of a new site. In order to do so you need to sign into the site using Steam login, through this they will steal all ur items. 

chat of scammer: https://pastebin.com/kBi9hHb9

scammer profile: https://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198015502703

I nearly signed in before i checked his profile to see the guy was steamrep banned. 

Not sure if this scam has been around a while. its the first ive ever seen or heard of it. 

The site (tf2markets.com) is real, though sketchy as hell since most of it doesnt work. 

I'm sure someone will come on to say 'this isnt a new scam, yadda yadda yadda', but its still a good reminder for people that may not know of this particular type of scam. :wub:

I mean, Steam says it on nearly EVERY window, don't click links. I have never had to click a link in a chat for a trade, if someone offers their profile link, I use steam to get the profile link, if they give me their paypal page instead of their email, I request they just give me their email, if they give link to a site, I'll search the site and go to it outside the chat. 

This is one of the original scams (fishing); far before Steam was ever a thing. 

1 hour ago, .chemo said:

Doesn't mobile authenticator just not make this work?

no because its a fake steam page and you put in ur login details and current code and then they log into your account somewhere else

1 minute ago, Torb | Elite Spell Trader™ said:

no because its a fake steam page and you put in ur login details and current code and then they log into your account somewhere else

Not really, if they try to login else where they will need the SMA code to do so. If they manage to login right away (before the code changes) they will still need the authentication to list things on SCM or trade stuff. Now they could lock you out of your account and change the password (I think? not sure if the code is required for those actions) and then disable authenticator and take all the time they need to trade things away. 

Lmao damn bastards turning to tf2 after valve cracked down on theirs scummy business in csgo. It's not new at all, but previously those type of scams were mostly for csgo items. Mark my words, they will bring the same 7 days cooldown to tf2 (and maybe dota\pubg) eventually.

You're right that they can't take your items directly even if they have all of your account details. What they can do with your account details however, is decline your incoming trades when you deposit something to legit site and send you identical trade from their bot, spoofing profile pic, name,  items and trade description (making security codes useless) from the real trade, all within seconds.

Here's an example.

On 4/1/2018 at 5:53 PM, 42isTooShort said:

Not really, if they try to login else where they will need the SMA code to do so. If they manage to login right away (before the code changes) they will still need the authentication to list things on SCM or trade stuff. Now they could lock you out of your account and change the password (I think? not sure if the code is required for those actions) and then disable authenticator and take all the time they need to trade things away. 

What I mean wondering, if it gets to that point, can you get a response from steam support quick enough that they don’t get any item out?

Overall, this is an old technique which is designed around how steam logins work today. The old saying always applies, never trust anyone on the internet.

How about this?  Stop trading with people that add you out of thin air and make you an offer that seems too good to be true.  

What....you think people are just so generous that they are offering you more than your stuff is worth?   If so, I have a bridge for sale here in New Jersey, real cheap too. 

Archived