Would you guys be for Microsoft buying Valve, if it meant we got HL3, L4D3, Portal 3 and potentially TF3 Or more frequent tf2 updates?

JayTuut

Yay or nay  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be for or against Microsoft buying Valve with these bonus's?

• For
    • Against

We'll probably get half finished shit called games if microsoft buys Valve. It's better to get finished HL games instead of a half baked one made just for money. 

I wouldn't trust Microsoft in the slightest with something like this, look how miserably they failed with Games for Windows Live, I really don't care about getting games, especially when it sounds more like a bribe than anything else. Even if they did start trying to push out these games I highly doubt they'd be very good. I can't even think of the last time I thought Microsoft did something good.

5 hours ago, ☭SilverSpeed™☭ said:

I can't even think of the last time I thought Microsoft did something good.

Make a new Age of empires because of an AMA with bill gates? And then make it really cheap? Also delay it so they can make it better? :P

I love how the poll is exactly 50-50.

13 people voted for “For,” and 13 people voted for “Against.”

I’m 100% for it. In my opinion, we shouldn’t call Valve a developer anymore. The hats, maps, weapons, etc. all come from the Steam Workshop.

TF2 has been in such bad shape for years that even if Microsoft screwed everything up, the game would still only be improved.

Aside from TF2, we’d definitely get Left 4 Dead 3 and Half-Life 3—possibly Portal 3, too. TF3 is never going to be a thing, though—and that’s thanks to the economy.

Microsoft bought Mojang, and Minecraft was never ruined. That’s mostly because they let the original developers keep working on the game. If they were to buy Valve, I’m sure they’d let the existing devs (all five of them!) work on the game, and they’d probably assign more employees to work on the game as well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2018 at 12:20 AM, Alice? said:

I love how the poll is exactly 50-50.

13 people voted for “For,” and 13 people voted for “Against.”

I’m 100% for it. In my opinion, we shouldn’t call Valve a developer anymore. The hats, maps, weapons, etc. all come from the Steam Workshop.

TF2 has been in such bad shape for years that even if Microsoft screwed everything up, the game would still only be improved.

Aside from TF2, we’d definitely get Left 4 Dead 3 and Half-Life 3—possibly Portal 3, too. TF3 is never going to be a thing, though—and that’s thanks to the economy.

Microsoft bought Mojang, and Minecraft was never ruined. That’s mostly because they let the original developers keep working on the game. If they were to buy Valve, I’m sure they’d let the existing devs (all five of them!) work on the game, and they’d probably assign more employees to work on the game as well.

Interesting

16-13

I wouldnt mind microsoft, what they've done with MC and xbox and more is good, they'd possibly introduce more players and maybe cross-platform, better controller support and loading and have better support. (maybe even fix the texture problems / item loading problems / unusual effect problems)

I am for this, because they'd probably keep the current devs but make them actually do something, as you said its mainly workshop so the current devs do jack shit.

If Microsoft did do an acquisition of Valve Inc., I would prefer it to be somewhat like the sale of Mojang. The Mojang staff got to keep their jobs and worked as a 1st party dev instead of a 3rd party. Having a large amount of cashflow into a company like Valve, as long as the passion is there, would make great games. I may be somewhat worried with how steam would operate and possibly Xbox. If steam kept its free online servers and Xbox got free online, I would be fine. Microsoft actually did something proconsumer for once. I would hate an acquisition of Valve if steam had to pay for online because it makes no sense for a platform that was free online forever.

• 2 weeks later...

No. Microsoft is a legitimately bad company, especially when it comes to video games. Blunders include but are not limited to:

• Demanding Team Fortress 2 (and Left 4 Dead) patches cost Xbox Online players money. Yes, you would have had to pay per patch.
  • Red ring of death rendering 65% of all Xbox 360 consoles expensive doorstops, with the only solution to buy the Xbox 360 2.0
  • That same "2.0" console scratching disks beyond repair just by playing them.
  • Trying to make a game console an "all-purposes entertainment device," backpedaling when it failed and allowing Sony to steal that whole market.
  • Getting rid of Xbox Arcade, and thus making many games totally impossible to retrieve (since they were digital-only, not box copies.)
  • Everything about the Kinect.
  • Convincing people they needed to pay for online play due to "server upkeep," only to publicly reveal they do minimal (if any) server upkeep.

Team Fortress 2 is great precisely because it has very few of the symptoms of modern games. Every attempt Valve makes to "modernize it" (pyro rework, competitive mode, even item economy tweaks) makes the game just a bit worse. Selling Valve to Microsoft would ensure more of these stupid brain-dead decisions and attempts to transform it into Overwatch. Hell it would even ruin PC gaming, as you can bet Microsoft would tack some stupid bullshit on to Steam like "requires latest version of Windows to install games."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2018 at 12:21 AM, Happysedits said:

No, I hate what Microsoft did to Minecraft

What did they do? I don't play MC, well havent for like 3 years

Archived