CPU jumping to 100 degrees Celsius

JayTuut

Hey,

I think you should try the following ways to bring it down to Normal temp. 

Did you make sure to spread the thermal paste across the entire surface of the heatsink/top of CPU (whichever is smaller)? If you left it as the glob, your temps will naturally be high, as heat isn't transferring. 

It should be thick enough that you can't see the surface of the heatsink/cpu, but not thicker - a thin layer. The method I use to make sure I've covered everything is putting 5 dots, positioned 4 corners and center, on the cpu, and spreading it thin from there, using the tip of the thermal paste tube.

Temps of 50C idle and 87C on 1 of the cores is higher than what you want.

What case are you using?

Your case has a huge impact on your ambient temperatures, as without proper airflow, your case will merely act like a pot on a stove. If the heat from the CPU does not leave the case, it eventually will overheat. Many people will add additional fan(s), particularly a side case fan, to increase airflow.

Some further suggestions -

-many people turn off Turbo (Boost, whatever it's called) in their BIOS, to prevent any stability issues with their setup.
-many people change their voltages to static values instead of auto to prevent stability issues.
-some people set their CPU voltage lower than the stock value (undervolt) to lower the heat generated and power consumed by their cpu. Because Intel and AMD give you more voltage than required to run the stock frequency, you may find it simple to lower the CPU vcore a step or 2 and thus the heat generated under load.

Adrian Gates

Sr. System Admin - Apps4Rent.

16 minutes ago, AdrianG001 said:

Hey,

I think you should try the following ways to bring it down to Normal temp. 

Did you make sure to spread the thermal paste across the entire surface of the heatsink/top of CPU (whichever is smaller)? If you left it as the glob, your temps will naturally be high, as heat isn't transferring. 

It should be thick enough that you can't see the surface of the heatsink/cpu, but not thicker - a thin layer. The method I use to make sure I've covered everything is putting 5 dots, positioned 4 corners and center, on the cpu, and spreading it thin from there, using the tip of the thermal paste tube.

A drop of thermal compound on the center of the IHS is a perfect way to place thermal compound. You don't need to spread it as the mounting pressure of the cooler will do that just fine for you. The only times when you don't really want a drop in the middle of the IHS (you want to do something more like an X) is when you're dealing with a large die or very low mounting pressure -- like a GPU core or an EPYC CPU. Neither are the case with the 7700k.

Archived