• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I think homosexuality comes from affects from the environment. Maybe they grew up in a community where sucking dicks was the cool thing to do vice versa for the other genders  

But why would something with this little purpose be natural? What is the benefit of it? I mean we have the now useless tail bones and appendix, but I can't think of a biological purpose of homosexuality

It's best not to question it. u liek the sex?

There have also been several discoveries of homosexuality in other animals, insects and arachnids

Maybe nature created gays to control over population? #bestexplanation2014

Why do frogs croak? Why do Strawberries have seeds on the Outside rather than the inside like other fruits?

Maybe nature created gays to control over population? #bestexplanation2014

2% (excluding bisexuals) is not enough to have any real impact on the population.

2% (excluding bisexuals) is not enough to have any real impact on the population.

Nature's just getting started :3

First it's people who can't reproduce to reduce overpopulation, next is sub-machine gun tortoises 

#fallofhumanumpire

But why would something with this little purpose be natural? What is the benefit of it? I mean we have the now useless tail bones and appendix, but I can't think of a biological purpose of homosexuality

How does homosexuality make sense from a population view?

It's pretty obvious to me: To slow down population growth.

You don't see too many homosexuals in countries where people are actually struggling to actually survive more than anything else (compared to first world countries).

homosexual individuals mean more adults and less children which might have an evolutionary benefit in terms of having the right ratio of protectors/carers:those needing protection/care.

It's pretty obvious to me: To slow down population growth.

You don't see too many homosexuals in countries where people are are struggling to actually survive more than anything else (compared to first world countries).

not quite how evolution works. you don't see many homosexuals in thirld world countries because probably the only time you see third world countries is in charity advertisements and documentaries.

not quite how evolution works. you don't see many homosexuals in thirld world countries because probably the only time you see third world countries is in charity advertisements and documentaries.

Not to mention that aids originated in Africa. 

Not to mention that aids originated in Africa. 

i don't get it, unless you're implying that aids and being gay have a direct correlation in which case you have some reading to do

i don't get it, unless you're implying that aids and being gay have a direct correlation in which case you have some reading to do

direct? no. indirect? yes. Anal sex is more conducive to transmitting the virus than vaginal sex. Not to mention homosexuals (at least the ones i know) tend to get around more than their heterosexual counterparts. 

direct? no. indirect? yes. Anal sex is more conducive to transmitting the virus than vaginal sex. Not to mention homosexuals (at least the ones i know) tend to get around more then their heterosexual counterparts. 

In recent news: Scientists still working on a way for lesbians to contract Aids because equal rights.

It is a natural occurrence not a preference.   No one would prefer it if it was not.  As for its purpose.  You might as well ask why are people flat footed or have high arched feet.  It isn't beneficial from an evolutionary standpoint but it happens. 

There are many cases where being a homosexual drives people to great success in order to live a life where others opinions can't effect them.  In the end it is a biological switch.  Its random and is possibly as high as 20% of the population (the study states that up to 20% of the population find others of their own gender attractive)

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/what-percent-of-the-population-is-gay-more-than-you-think-5012467/

It seems very high but we can assume that many are bisexual.  These people may happen to find a companion, of the opposite sex, that they are very happy with and then procreate with them as that instinct is not effected by sexual orientation.  They would also not likely choose to have sex with someone of the same gender from that point on as it would be disruptive to the pair bond.  Moreover, there is immense social pressure to not be a homosexual and if you find both attractive you would most likely choose someone of the opposite sex.

A more important question here is to ask what evolutionary purpose is served by a large portion of the population having such an averse reaction to the existence of homosexuals.  Unlike a natural instinct to distrust other races/cultures there is no benefit in reacting so negatively to homosexuals of your own race/culture.

Answer that.

A more important question here is to ask what evolutionary purpose is served by a large portion of the population having such an averse reaction to the existence of homosexuals.  Unlike a natural instinct to distrust other races/cultures there is no benefit in reacting so negatively to homosexuals of your own race/culture.

Answer that.

As a general rule, the features that most people find attractive are features that are beneficial to society (a woman with wide hips, a tall/muscular man, etc...). So if you saw this woman who really turned you on--you (and nature) would want you to procreate with her. BUT, if she's homosexual, then you can't and you (and society) will have lost out on a potentially strong (fit) offspring. 

homosexual individuals mean more adults and less children which might have an evolutionary benefit in terms of having the right ratio of protectors/carers:those needing protection/care.

interesting

in third world countries homosexuals may feel that their role in society is more important than their personal sexual orientation. the social pressure is higher there as well

direct? no. indirect? yes. Anal sex is more conducive to transmitting the virus than vaginal sex. Not to mention homosexuals (at least the ones i know) tend to get around more than their heterosexual counterparts.

Heterosexual females have contracted it at higher rates than heterosexual males. enough to approach the rates seen in homosexual populations. all populations see plenty of "getting around" its that being much smaller in number any stds will transmit at higher pace.

As a general rule, the features that most people find attractive are features that are beneficial to society (a woman with wide hips, a tall/muscular man, etc...). So if you saw this woman who really turned you on--you (and nature) would want you to procreate with her. BUT, if she's homosexual, then you can't and you (and society) will have lost out on a potentially strong (fit) offspring.

You can't get it on with whomever you want and that is understood. The immense hate can not flow from that result.

You can't get it on with whomever you want and that is understood.  The immense hate can not flow from that result.

Except you're failing to realize something. There are plenty of girls who can get with pretty much anyone they want; and when someone rejects them they get pissed off because they assume that the guy is rejecting them based on their looks. 

Seeing as most studies point to homosexuality being caused in entirely natural ways such as a hormone imbalance, I'd have to say its about as natural as you can get

Except you're failing to realize something. There are plenty of girls who can get with pretty much anyone they want; and when someone rejects them they get pissed off because they assume that the guy is rejecting them based on their looks.

None of that leads to the violence and abuse that is visited on homosexuals. Why would guys react sooooo negatively to the concept of homosexual men. Men typically are happy there is less competition.

Why in the world is this even a question that is being asked?

It is painfully obvious that homosexuality is unnatural as in it is a person's choice. Do you seriously have to ask?

I don't care what lunatic "scientists" say about hormone imbalance or natural occurrence. I don't care if scientists found an idiot horse or crazed monkey who mistook a male for a female and tried mating with it. I don't care if they found two males or two females that took care of a baby. The only time you have the excuse that you were "born that way" is if you are one of the 1 in 1000000000000 people who are actually born with the WRONG pair of genitals, otherwise take a look in the mirror to find out how you were born.

I am amazed that there is serious debate, it should be a no-brainer.

It is painfully obvious that homosexuality is unnatural as in it is a person's choice. Do you seriously have to ask?

I don't care what lunatic "scientists" say about hormone imbalance or natural occurrence. I don't care if scientists found an idiot horse or crazed monkey who mistook a male for a female and tried mating with it. I don't care if they found two males or two females that took care of a baby. The only time you have the excuse that you were "born that way" is if you are one of the 1 in 1000000000000 people who are actually born with the WRONG pair of genitals, otherwise take a look in the mirror to find out how you were born.

Son, I am dissapoint.

I'm seriously surprised to hear you say that. 

So your saying that its personal choice who you're attracted to, and that it has absolutely nothing to do with who you are? really? 

I didn't want to say it this bluntly but yeah, this. Lol.

I'm seriously surprised to hear you say that. 

So your saying that its personal choice who you're attracted to, and that it has absolutely nothing to do with who you are? really?

From my experience, it's not so much who you're attracted to that's a choice, but what attractions you act on and whether you embrace the lgbt lifestyle. For example, many people who identify as homosexual are actually bi, but they identify as gay because they are more attracted to men, or because they don't like women's emotional issues, or because they think every woman is a slut, or because they don't want to go through the traditional dating process. (I've heard all of these reasons numerous times.) It seems like there really aren't that many homosexuals that are physically repulsed by the opposite sex (for the ones that are, I personally think it's a mental mix-up). And many homosexuals, more than most people think, were victims of childhood abuse, trauma or even a seemingly harmless experience and later ended up with those attractions.

I heard about that theory before. It fits quite well in the findings described in the article I posted as well. There is some things that would have to be explained, but it's definitely an interesting theory.

Wow. I don't even know how to reply to that. I'd like to know which definition of 'natural' you're using here.

Well "fun" should be superior to "procreation" in times where overpopulation starts to be a problem anyways.

Some of the people who dislike homosexuality probably also dislike sex for fun. It's fine if they think that as long as they respect others. But especially the last is often missed.

About being natural, yes it is natural because human/animals and all their facets are natural (not speaking about things humans create -> homosexuality is surely not anthropogenic).

i'm surprised it took as long as it did for a straight guy to start telling everyone that people, 100% of the time, choose a sexual orientation. and to cast aside any research as lunatic science. i'm also not surprised that gender and sex are the exact same thing to him.

sex ed and social ed have a looooong way to go.

Archived