Trading with a "unconfirmed scammer" question! (also selling stuff).

ChiperoG

Hey! So i got an offer from a user that has a unconfirmed report on steamrep. He has 11+reps on backpack.tf but is banned from tf2op since he got a unconfirmed report. The report in question is months old and he claims he have given the item back. Is it safe for me from backpack.tf´s point of view to trade with this person? Or will i get a ban? Thanks for answers. I do not want to get myself banned, so thanks.

Also selling a clean Sunbeams Harmburg b/o is 110 pure.

Well the thing is that he also claims that he gave back the items. The report has also been there since 2015. But my question is basicly: can i get banned from bp.tf for trading with someone that has a pending report on sr? Or does it have to be confirmed first. I have talked to some other people and the majority says that it´s fine aslong as the ban is not 100% confirmed. I just want to be 100% sure before doing something potentially stupid.

Well the thing is, he did scam, and says he has no way to prove he paid the guy back.....yet he could have posted his trade history, which would have proven he paid the guy. 

It is still not the point. Since the bp.tf rules is sort of a grey zone on this area. I really want a admin to tell me if it okay to trade with someone with a pending report. It should not matter if it gets accepted or declined in the future since thats not the point, the point is that i want to know backpack.tf´s policy in this question.

Also the item in question is of really low value and he has shown good recent behaviour as he has like 10+ reps here on bp.tf. I just want to know what backpack.tf´s stance is on this question.

Ok, you came to ask for an opinion. I gave you the specific reason why you might not want to and yet you just ignore the facts I mentioned. Why you asked for opinions is beyond me. So do what you want and let the chips fall where they may.

12 minutes ago, ChiperoG said:

Also the item in question is of really low value and he has shown good recent behaviour as he has like 10+ reps here on bp.tf. I just want to know what backpack.tf´s stance is on this question.

3 minutes ago, Mrs TS said:

Ok, you came to ask for an opinion. I gave you the specific reason why you might not want to and yet you just ignore the facts I mentioned. Why you asked for opinions is beyond me. So do what you want and let the chips fall where they may.

I believe the stance is that if he's not officially banned on steamrep/bp.tf or if the trade is less than a certain amt of keys, there would be no reprecussions. However, it is strongly advised not to trade with scammers/scammed items as they would atypically be profiting these people

Well i am open for all kinds of opinions. But an admins confirmation is always more worth. The main problem is that most other people ive asked (two being admins on one of the most popular unusual servers) have said the exact opposite. No offense to you but i value their opinion more. Now i really just want some admin to give me a clear sign or a nay sign.

1 minute ago, RED265 said:

I believe the stance is that if he's not officially banned on steamrep/bp.tf or if the trade is less than a certain amt of keys, there would be no reprecussions. However, it is strongly advised not to trade with scammers/scammed items as they would atypically be profiting these people

Okay. The thing is that it was not like a big scam and he has since been on good behaviour etc and gotten no furthur allegations. I do not want to help scammers out. Thanks for your input.

7 minutes ago, Mrs TS said:

Well i am open for all kinds of opinions. But an admins confirmation is always more worth. The main problem is that most other people ive asked (two being admins on one of the most popular unusual servers) have said the exact opposite. No offense to you but i value their opinion more. Now i really just want some admin to give me a clear sign or a nay sign.

3 hours ago, ChiperoG said:

While Mrs TS isn't technically an SR Admin, she does have valuable input.

It sounds like you came here wanting people to agree with you, instead of hearing actual input.

Mrs TS says: "Probably bad idea" You say: "I don't care what you say"

RED256 says: "It may be fine" You say: "Thanks for input (that's what I wanted to hear)"

Neither of them are admins. You're just listening to the side you want to hear.

Plus, if you really care about admin status... She is a TF2OP Staff member.

http://www.tf2outpost.com/user/76561198019089610

Also, she is married to ToughSox. (TF2OP Admin/SR Mod)

http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561197963950038

Both of those bits of information should show you that she has knowledge about the topic.

On topic:

I would say that YES, trading with this user could get you banned.

You would be knowingly trading with an obvious scammer. He admitted to scamming someone (how much more obvious can you get?), and you admitted that you looked at his report, and read it (and acknowledged that you realize he has scammed someone.)

Often times SR does not remove marks when people give back items because of a "change-of-heart." However, sometimes they do.

In this case, he has provided no proof (at least on his report) that he has paid the victim back. Also, it looks like it may be a while before any decision is made on the matter.

Given the time that has passed since the incident, the small value of item(s) scammed, and his history since then, he probably does have a good chance to get it appealed, but there is still a risk.

If you want 0 risk, then don't trade. If you are fine with the small risk, then go ahead and do what you like.

4 hours ago, Apo said:

It sounds like you came here wanting people to agree with you, instead of hearing actual input.

Mrs TS says: "Probably bad idea" You say: "I don't care what you say"

RED256 says: "It may be fine" You say: "Thanks for input (that's what I wanted to hear)"

Neither of them are admins. You're just listening to the side you want to hear.

Both of those bits of information should show you that she has knowledge about the topic.

On topic:

I would say that YES, trading with this user could get you banned.

You would be knowingly trading with an obvious scammer. He admitted to scamming someone (how much more obvious can you get?), and you admitted that you looked at his report, and read it (and acknowledged that you realize he has scammed someone.)

Often times SR does not remove marks when people give back items because of a "change-of-heart." However, sometimes they do.

In this case, he has provided no proof (at least on his report) that he has paid the victim back. Also, it looks like it may be a while before any decision is made on the matter.

Given the time that has passed since the incident, the small value of item(s) scammed, and his history since then, he probably does have a good chance to get it appealed, but there is still a risk.

If you want 0 risk, then don't trade. If you are fine with the small risk, then go ahead and do what you like.

It is true that i am a bit biased since i want to do the trade. But the thing i said earlier was that other high up traders told me the opposite. Tf2op and backpack.tf have completely different rules in general so that should not matter to much. Since the opinion seems to be split down the middle l i want is a bp.tf admin to confirm if it´s alright or taboo. 

Oops seems like i messed up my tag a little. This is what i wrote: It is true that i am a bit biased since i want to do the trade. But the thing i said earlier was that other high up traders told me the opposite. Tf2op and backpack.tf have completely different rules in general so that should not matter to much. Since the opinion seems to be split down the middle l i want is a bp.tf admin to confirm if it´s alright or taboo. 

11 minutes ago, Diamond jozu said:

well he isnt banned on steamrep yet nor on bp.tf so its fine to trade

Okay thanks. Now i am just sorta waiting for a backpack.tf admin to give me a clear sign. I just want to be sure.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, ChiperoG said:

Okay thanks. Now i am just sorta waiting for a backpack.tf admin to give me a clear sign. I just want to be sure.

By our rules, if he was not banned on this site or steamrep you would not have been banned for trading with him. HOWEVER the only reason he wasn't banned on this site is because of a site glitch removing his ban, which I have now reinstated. I will also point out that he was banned on outpost the entire time, and you would have been banned there for trading with him.

In short: if you trade with him now, I will ban you on backpack.tf and on outpost. I don't know why you would want to trade with a scammer either way.

1 hour ago, Teeny Tiny Cat said:

By our rules, if he was not banned on this site or steamrep you would not have been banned for trading with him. HOWEVER the only reason he wasn't banned on this site is because of a site glitch removing his ban, which I have now reinstated. I will also point out that he was banned on outpost the entire time, and you would have been banned there for trading with him.

In short: if you trade with him now, I will ban you on backpack.tf and on outpost. I don't know why you would want to trade with a scammer either way.

Hey! Thanks for the answer. I decided not to trade with him and traded with another guy  because i do not want to support scammers. I was tempted by the value but i am trying to be as much of a legit trader i can be. :)

9 hours ago, Apo said:

Thank you very kindly for acknowledging my comments and status. But I did want to clarify, I am not a TF2OP Staff member....although I do have a 'special' status.  :wub: 

49 minutes ago, Mrs TS said:

Thank you very kindly for acknowledging my comments and status. But I did want to clarify, I am not a TF2OP Staff member....although I do have a 'special' status.  :wub: 

Yeah i ended up not taking the offer. I did not mean to make it sound like your opinion was useless to me because it was not. I just wanted an admin confirmation on such a split topic. I also was biased since i sorta wanted it to be okay? Since i wanted to do the trade but i thought better of it in the end.

Archived