Watch out for these "scams"

JayTuut

Not really a scam, but i saw a guy trying to sell a strange festivized medigun and pass it off for a strange festive medigun.

Strange festivized mediguns go for like 5-6$ on SCM while strange festive mediguns go for 10-12 keys.

so just be weary when dealing with strange festives.

Guy tried to trade me a Strange Festivized Scattergun and pass it off as a Strange Festive, so can confirm that people are doing this.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2018 at 9:01 AM, allegalle said:

I sharked over 10 users wirh this,but sadly they fixed it

3 hours ago, Bayworks said:

lol wut

@allegalle is a sharker that barely posts on these forums, he got an unusual for 1 key and 2 ref one time lmao

47 minutes ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

@allegalle is a sharker that barely posts on these forums, he got an unusual for 1 key and 2 ref one time lmao

it was 1 key and 5 ref, and it was the seller that screwed up. Don't spread misleading info pls

2 minutes ago, Sprekt said:

it was 1 key and 5 ref, and it was the seller that screwed up. Don't spread misleading info pls

I never said it wasn't?.... If you didn't notice my post was sarcasm.

Xdd i was banned but i dont care since this shark wont work anymore. However there is not good enough proof of item misinpresentation and lying, because i used my backpack.tf backpack prices that showed in my backpack. Might get rid of it

https://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198129073740

XDDD it was easy money normal trading is for nubs

P.S it was backpack.tf fault for showing festivized mediguns as festive mediguns, so therr was no lying involved

4 hours ago, allegalle said:

Xdd i was banned but i dont care since this shark wont work anymore. However there is not good enough proof of item misinpresentation and lying, because i used my backpack.tf backpack prices that showed in my backpack. Might get rid of it

https://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198129073740

XDDD it was easy money normal trading is for nubs

P.S it was backpack.tf fault for showing festivized mediguns as festive mediguns, so therr was no lying involved

Honestly he is correct. He didn't lie to users about the value. He just said what it was worth on backpack,tf. All of the -trusts show screenshots of this. :shrug:

15 minutes ago, S T E W said:

Honestly he is correct. He didn't lie to users about the value. He just said what it was worth on backpack,tf. All of the -trusts show screenshots of this. :shrug:

but he knew the prices difference and pretended to be a retard 

2 hours ago, S T E W said:

Is backpack some sort of omniscient, 100% accurate pricing guide? No, it's just a silly little website that at times reflects the random retardation of the SCM and where some edgy teens play a game called 'price suggestion'. 

13 minutes ago, Gren said:

Is backpack some sort of omniscient, 100% accurate pricing guide? No, it's just a silly little website that at times reflects the random retardation of the SCM and where some edgy teens play a game called 'price suggestion'. 

No, you're completely right. But I would say a really large number of people use it as a bible. That's where it's a grey area. The site is coded to, as you said, reflect SCM solds on many unpriced items. I suppose it would then be on both parties, patially on the accused's side for not disclosing market value, and partially on the "Victim" for not doing his research. It's laughable that this got classified as a sort of "scam" when it would not actually be one. If anything, it would be a shark. I see Jhejh poT and others doing sharks worse than this. But hey, I guess these people weren't happy with the trade, whilst the people Jhejh trades are.

1 hour ago, S T E W said:

No, you're completely right. But I would say a really large number of people use it as a bible. That's where it's a grey area. The site is coded to, as you said, reflect SCM solds on many unpriced items. I suppose it would then be on both parties, patially on the accused's side for not disclosing market value, and partially on the "Victim" for not doing his research. It's laughable that this got classified as a sort of "scam" when it would not actually be one. If anything, it would be a shark. I see Jhejh poT and others doing sharks worse than this. But hey, I guess these people weren't happy with the trade, whilst the people Jhejh trades are.

The difference between a shark and a scam are only increased degrees of immorality.  Sharking means willfully deceiving someone of the true value of a trade.  Keyword here is trade, as it's implied that the sharked trader gets at least something in return.  Apparently some of the time, those users are happy with what they received, although I've always failed to understand how any reasonable person could possibly be happy with getting a fraction of the cost of an item they easily and just as fast could have sold for at least 100% more.  In my opinion, the answer to the question "Provided it takes essentially equal effort, would you prefer to get 10 keys or 20 keys for your item?", the answer any sane person with judgement beyond that of a 12 year old would give is "20 keys". 

Sharking isn't just as immoral as scamming, but it is immoral nonetheless.  The argument that sometimes it's very difficult to tell apart a shark from just a typical trade where one side made out better than the other, is also clearly not applicable to a situation where someone is trying to pass off a festivized strange medi gun as at least the same value as an actually strange festive medi gun.  It's obvious - and egregious - deception with the intent to profit, and his ban is completely justified and should be applied by the community at large. His defense that it's "backpack.tf fault for showing festivized mediguns as festive mediguns, so therr was no lying involved" is intellectually retarded, morally bankrupt, and clearly juvenile, indicative of someone either too immature or dumb to see the true nature of their actions.

Archived