question for pc gamers

grandma's cookies

(realized I might have posted this in the wrong place before but) 

hey whats up guys

so I've been playing games on steam since 2011. on a mac book. for years I only ever played team fortress 2 and as you can imagine on a mac book the quality and consistency of games has been pretty damn awful and upsetting when trying to play with the homies. I've always meant to get around to buying a good pc but there were always other things I ended up spending money on. For the last year I've been getting into rocket league and as a result I've decided to get a computer that can actually handle these games. The only problem: I don't know s**t about computers. my budget I'd say is about slightly less than average, but I figured I'd ask the community, whats a reasonably affordably pc with the power to run team fortress 2 and rocket league (which I assume aren't insanely demanding games?) on maximum specs? 

I'm pretty clueless so I appreciate any help thanks 

1 hour ago, grandma's cookies said:

(realized I might have posted this in the wrong place before but) 

hey whats up guys

so I've been playing games on steam since 2011. on a mac book. for years I only ever played team fortress 2 and as you can imagine on a mac book the quality and consistency of games has been pretty damn awful and upsetting when trying to play with the homies. I've always meant to get around to buying a good pc but there were always other things I ended up spending money on. For the last year I've been getting into rocket league and as a result I've decided to get a computer that can actually handle these games. The only problem: I don't know s**t about computers. my budget I'd say is about slightly less than average, but I figured I'd ask the community, whats a reasonably affordably pc with the power to run team fortress 2 and rocket league (which I assume aren't insanely demanding games?) on maximum specs? 

I'm pretty clueless so I appreciate any help thanks 

I played on a macbook pro for 2 years at least, got to SMFC on CSGO(if you know the game) and I play TF2 too at 40-60 fps on a mac. I can understand that feeling but I think if you custom build a PC, it cost less than $1500 USD to get a good pc that can run rocket league and TF2 at high settings. Dosent include the mouse, keyboard, headset and monitor tho for the $1500 budget.

6 minutes ago, Wolf#Peace said:

I played on a macbook pro for 2 years at least, got to SMFC on CSGO(if you know the game) and I play TF2 too at 40-60 fps on a mac. I can understand that feeling but I think if you custom build a PC, it cost less than $1500 USD to get a good pc that can run rocket league and TF2 at high settings. Dosent include the mouse, keyboard, headset and monitor tho for the $1500 budget.

You can max out rocket league and TF2 at around $300-400. 

@grandma's cookies How much do you want to spend, what other games do you care about, do you want to get something good enough for rocket league/TF2 or do you want as much performance as you can get, do you have any parts you can reuse, and do you need peripherals/monitor/OS (and is it part of your above budget)?

2 hours ago, Wolf#Peace said:

1500 usd for tf2 and rocket league?

I could build a 200 USD computer to do that o_o

39 minutes ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

1500 usd for tf2 and rocket league?

I could build a 200 USD computer to do that o_o

As in a good pc that can run all games at 200 fps at least with mid/high settings

35 minutes ago, Wolf#Peace said:

As in a good pc that can run all games at 200 fps at least with mid/high settings

Why would you want to run a game on 200 fps on mid settings?

38 minutes ago, Wolf#Peace said:

1 minute ago, Rudolpho said:

Why would you want to run a game on 200 fps on mid settings?

Why do you need 200 fps anyway? Its like 90 fps

Also I used to have a average computer that was 400 aud (305 USD) which ran tf2 on max settings at 200+ FPS and rocket league at 120+ FPS max settings, you don't really need much more then that if you only want to play those 2 games..

1 minute ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

Why do you need 200 fps anyway? Its like 90 fps

Also I used to have a average computer that was 400 aud (305 USD) which ran tf2 on max settings at 200+ FPS and rocket league at 120+ FPS max settings, you don't really need much more then that if you only want to play those 2 games..

Well, there is actualy one reason and that is VR. High fps helps with motion sickness.

Just now, Rudolpho said:

Well, there is actualy one reason and that is VR. High fps helps with motion sickness.

He didn't mention VR tho ;/

and the human eye cant see more then 60fps /s

9 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

You can max out rocket league and TF2 at around $300-400. 

@grandma's cookies How much do you want to spend, what other games do you care about, do you want to get something good enough for rocket league/TF2 or do you want as much performance as you can get, do you have any parts you can reuse, and do you need peripherals/monitor/OS (and is it part of your above budget)?

that was pretty much all I was going to play, I just need something good enough for those two games cause the only things I really have now are a good mouse and decent headset, dont really need peripherals or anything else 

1 hour ago, grandma's cookies said:

that was pretty much all I was going to play, I just need something good enough for those two games cause the only things I really have now are a good mouse and decent headset, dont really need peripherals or anything else 

This will easily max out both TF2 and RL at 100fps+, and will be able to play most other AAA titles at 1080p 60fps medium-high settings. You could technically get a GTX 1050/RX560 ($40~ less), but having a bit more performance so you can play other AAA titles if you want to isn't necessarily a bad thing. You could go with a Ryzen R3 1200 and a B350 board (about $40~ more in total) to give you a bit more CPU performance now (although it's not necessary), and a bit more of an upgrade path in the future (but there's still plenty of room to upgrade with a G4560+B250 board). You could also technically lose the SSD if you don't care about the whole computer feeling snappier as it doesn't improve gaming performance, or if 120gb/250gb is enough then you could drop the HDD altogether. For the case you can pick whatever you want.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($82.94 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($81.99 @ B&H) 
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU800 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Toshiba - P300 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($39.88 @ Other World Computing) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card  ($157.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($43.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $546.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-17 11:24 EST-0500

If you really just want to get it as cheap as possible for Rocket League and TF2 and really don't care about any other games, then you could do something like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CZpDpb

Or another option would be buying used and going with a Haswell based system and DDR3 RAM as that would save you another $70~ and then a used 750Ti would knock off another $40~. Bringing you down to $350~.

50 minutes ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

This will easily max out both TF2 and RL at 100fps+, and will be able to play most other AAA titles at 1080p 60fps medium-high settings. You could technically get a GTX 1050/RX560 ($40~ less), but having a bit more performance so you can play other AAA titles if you want to isn't necessarily a bad thing. You could go with a Ryzen R3 1200 and a B350 board (about $40~ more in total) to give you a bit more CPU performance now (although it's not necessary), and a bit more of an upgrade path in the future (but there's still plenty of room to upgrade with a G4560+B250 board). You could also technically lose the SSD if you don't care about the whole computer feeling snappier as it doesn't improve gaming performance, or if 120gb/250gb is enough then you could drop the HDD altogether. For the case you can pick whatever you want.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($82.94 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($81.99 @ B&H) 
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU800 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Toshiba - P300 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($39.88 @ Other World Computing) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card  ($157.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($43.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $546.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-17 11:24 EST-0500

If you really just want to get it as cheap as possible for Rocket League and TF2 and really don't care about any other games, then you could do something like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CZpDpb

Or another option would be buying used and going with a Haswell based system and DDR3 RAM as that would save you another $70~ and then a used 750Ti would knock off another $40~. Bringing you down to $350~.

ah wow thank you this a huge help, I'm looking into all of it now really appreciate it this is awesome 

Archived