I got scammed 2000 $ ( 3k in unusuals ) today .

Merendas

27 minutes ago, naknak said:

The point is that (truly) analogous real-life situations, like Brad's unlocked car example, require the wrongful recipient to return the items (or not take them in the first place).   And Steamrep agrees. 

That's not even remotely the same.  You clearly don't understand.  Opening someone's car without permission is 100% illegal, unlocked or not.  It's their property, and you can't touch it without permission.  Sending a trade offer is giving permission, even if only accidentally.

Edit: You seem to think "taking without permission" and "accepting when given" are the same thing.  They are not.

Further edit: To be clear, I'm still not saying Jason is right if he keeps the hats.  He's not.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Freak4ever2000™ said:

Jason Le will answer here in 2-3 hours, so @any mods please dont close this yet.

I'm very curious as to what he might have to say.  If he intends to keep the hats, he doesn't need to say anything at all.  If he intends to give them back, he also doesn't need to say anything at all.

Just now, 3.50 said:

I'm very curious as to what he might have to say.  If he intends to keep the hats, he doesn't need to say anything at all.  If he intends to give them back, he also doesn't need to say anything at all.

cant tell you, he said im not allowed to spoil anything here ^^

2 minutes ago, 3.50 said:

I have my suspicions as to what he's going to say/do, (because it's the only thing that makes his behavior make sense) but I'll keep them to myself ;3

since i dont know if you know him i have no idea what your suspicions are, but i can guess that you are right xD

3 hours ago, Merendas (FT) said:

Are you serious ? of course i got scammed , because i made missclick i should let someone go away with at least 1000 keys ? what is that logic . People make mistakes like giving me 1 - 2 keys more and i add them back , and i lost 2000 usd and i should let the other guy go away ? and nope as you can see on the screenshot its been 4 hours and he still didnt give them back ... like what ? am i crazy and i am giving away my unusuals which worth a bunch . 

Oh, the hypocrisy. 

he has no obligation to return your items, and publicly shaming him is good to do nothing but make him less likely to give them back. after this little stunt, i don't think you even deserves your items back. two people have called you a hypocrite as well, so some explanation on this would be nice.

1 hour ago, naknak said:

Unfortunate to see all these traders struggling with the concept of honesty.

Here is Steamrep on the matter of taking advantage of someone else's mistake (spoiler alert: it's scamming): https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/http-steamcommunity-com-profiles-76561198017965767-teh_rhesus-sr-scammer.38308/

Here's their appeals admin on the topic:

And founder of bp.tf Brad Pitt:

the brad pitt quote doesn't apply here... the people taking the money from the bank and the phone from the car are TAKING something without initial consent.  sending the trade offer is a consent to trade if the other person agrees/accepts it

1 hour ago, Gren said:

Wow guys, seriously? 

This was clearly an honest mistake. Iv'e gotten offers like this before, I simply added the person to ask them what they wanted.  

If you go to a restaurant, pay by credit card and type in an extra zero by accident on a $50 tip, do you think your waiter has no ethical obligation to point this out?  When you go to a store and pay for something and accidentally give an extra $20 because it's crumpled in with the other bills, is the store now totally entitled to keep your $20?

I'm usually the first to point out someone's fucked up, but this firmly falls under the category of "don't be a dick".  The items should be returned, even if he's not technically obliged under some arbitrary rule a small number of community members came up with.  

sorry for the stack of two replies, bptf won't let me just edit this reply into my most post above.  if a mod sees this and can edit the above post to include the below reply to the quote in this post, feel free to delete this one

most of us/all of us probably believe that it is ethical for him to give the items back, but he is in no way obligated to by any rules/law which is where the disagreement is

(i.e. we agree he SHOULD give them back, but does he HAVE to?  or i.e. is it scamming or not)

3 minutes ago, Vrakos Anthrakir said:

most of us/all of us probably believe that it is ethical for him to give the items back, but he is in no way obligated to by any rules/law which is where the disagreement is

(i.e. we agree he SHOULD give them back, but does he HAVE to?)

Thread in a nutshell:

He doesn't have to give hets back

He probably should, though

Do we even know if he's going to?

Maybe he's at work

Let's call each other names in the meantime

22 minutes ago, Loaferman said:

Oh, the hypocrisy. 

what do you mean ? if you wanna say something be clear , i never did anything suspicious or scammed anyone in my life . 

55 minutes ago, Pyotoru said:

How is this karma ? The only thing that happened between me and you was when i you autobought my widowmaker prof for 1 key and i made a loss . Dont type shit  without reason plz , i've had enough already . 

1 minute ago, Merendas (FT) said:

what do you mean ? if you wanna say something be clear , i never did any suspicious or scammed anyone in my life . 

Anyone with a brain can tell what I meant. If you were in Jason's shoes you would have done literally the exact same thing. Hence the use of the word hypocrite.

1 minute ago, Loaferman said:

If you were in Jason's shoes you would have done literally the exact same thing.

Not everyone reacts the same to a specific situation.  Do you have anything to back that claim up?

Just now, Merendas (FT) said:

How is this karma ? The only thing that happened between me and you was when i you autobought my widowmaker prof for 1 key and i made a loss . Dont type shit  without reason plz , i've had enough already . 

You made mistake and you was calling me scammer for no reason. And was salty and left negative rep on bp.tf.

Same like now, do mistake, call someone scammer and left negative rep on bp.tf.

btw. This topic made my day.

Just now, Loaferman said:

Anyone with a brain can tell what I meant. If you were in Jason's shoes you would have done literally the exact same thing. Hence the use of the word hypocrite.

Huh ? I don't want to ruin it for you, but not everybody has low ethics like you. I've got several false trade offers from paypal , with people giving me extra keys and i was always giving back. I will definitely not accept calling me a hypocrite, since i NEVER did something like that. 

3 minutes ago, 3.50 said:

Not everyone reacts the same to a specific situation.  Do you have anything to back that claim up?

You are right. Not everyone reacts the same to a specific situation. Given how he reacts to every situation and his current community standing it is safe to assume how he would react to said situation.

Just now, Merendas (FT) said:

Huh ? I don't want to ruin it for you, but not everybody has low ethics like you. I've got several false trade offers from paypal , with people giving me extra keys and i was always giving back. I will definitely not accept calling me a hypocrite, since i NEVER did something like that. 

Agreeing upon a trade before hand and accepting a random trade offer with nothing on your side is two entirely different stories. Hop off your high horse with your "low ethics" crap.

3 hours ago, Freak4ever2000™ said:

Since im good friend with jason, and he pretty much woke me up with screenshots of this and laughing his ass off, no you didnt get scammed, and the chance of you getting your stuff back is.....0%?

Summon Jason and let him roast this anime profile picture guy 

1 minute ago, MrDeepDarkmind said:

Summon Jason and let him roast this anime profile picture guy 

give him 5-10 minutes and he will most likely destroy merendas forever

10 minutes ago, Freak4ever2000™ said:

give him 5-10 minutes and he will most likely destroy merendas forever

Have to make this joke... DISS TRACK TIME!

Archived