Need help with upgrading my CPU

JayTuut

1 hour ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

Yeah i saw a cheap one about $70 (AUD) cheaper then those, but seems eh and my brother says the MSI one in that compare would be the best in terms of features out of any ones I showed him

Don't really wanna get a cheap one as after this I'm probably not gonna upgrade my PC for a long time :P Too much hassle and not enough money, maybe my GPU in the future but thats it.

So not sure, I guess ill just go with the MSI and try and scrounge up the money

What features does it have that's so special? Features are absolutely worthless unless you have a specific need for them. 

There's no benefit in a more expensive motherboard other than possibly more features/different aesthetics. 

7 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

What features does it have that's so special? Features are absolutely worthless unless you have a specific need for them. 

There's no benefit in a more expensive motherboard other than possibly more features/different aesthetics. 

From my brothers text:
sata6 instead of sata3, two m.2, more pcie, comes with wifi adapter.

3 hours ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

From my brothers text:
sata6 instead of sata3, two m.2, more pcie, comes with wifi adapter.

There is no such thing as SATA 6. There's SATA 3 (6gbps), SATA 2 (3gpbs), and SATA 1 (1.5gbps) -- and all Z170/Z270 motherboards have at least six SATA 3 ports (and only SSDs benefit from SATA 3 ports, an HDD is just as fast on SATA 1 as it is on SATA 3). On top of that, both boards have the exact same number of SATA 3 ports -- with six each, and the same number of M.2 slots -- with two each.

They both have the same three PCIE 3.0x16 slots while the Asus board has four 3.0x1 slots and the MSI board only has three 3.0x1 slots (although either way it's more than enough).

Do you need Wifi? If you don't, then it's irrelevant. If you do, then there are cheaper options that are just as good: https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157746

18 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

There is no such thing as SATA 6. There's SATA 3 (6gbps), SATA 2 (3gpbs), and SATA 1 (1.5gbps) -- and all Z170/Z270 motherboards have at least six SATA 3 ports (and only SSDs benefit from SATA 3 ports, an HDD is just as fast on SATA 1 as it is on SATA 3). On top of that, both boards have the exact same number of SATA 3 ports -- with six each, and the same number of M.2 slots -- with two each.

They both have the same three PCIE 3.0x16 slots while the Asus board has four 3.0x1 slots and the MSI board only has three 3.0x1 slots (although either way it's more than enough).

Do you need Wifi? If you don't, then it's irrelevant. If you do, then there are cheaper options that are just as good: https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157746

Not a big motherboard guy, but what about those "features" they show like the audio boost and xboost and VR boost and killer ethernet, bluetooth/wifi, best memory performance, faster usb device performance etc on the MSI?

Are they real or just fancy words?

5 hours ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

Not a big motherboard guy, but what about those "features" they show like the audio boost and xboost and VR boost and killer ethernet, bluetooth/wifi, best memory performance, faster usb device performance etc on the MSI?

Are they real or just fancy words?

All nonsense marketing. Intel NICs are actually better than Killer NICs (not that it would make a difference on a gaming computer). And as I said, WiFi/Bluetooth is only meaningful if you need WiFi/Bluetooth, otherwise it's completely irrelevant -- the board I linked also has WiFi/Bluetooth (there are likely even cheaper options if that doesn't matter).

On 4/3/2018 at 10:16 PM, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

All nonsense marketing. Intel NICs are actually better than Killer NICs (not that it would make a difference on a gaming computer). And as I said, WiFi/Bluetooth is only meaningful if you need WiFi/Bluetooth, otherwise it's completely irrelevant -- the board I linked also has WiFi/Bluetooth (there are likely even cheaper options if that doesn't matter).

image.thumb.png.1c0ca29ce00f03fdda306df7e71a1ada.png

So out of all the "cheap ones" (Cant really go above 180) do u think that ASUS one u linked is the best?

10 hours ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

image.thumb.png.1c0ca29ce00f03fdda306df7e71a1ada.png

So out of all the "cheap ones" (Cant really go above 180) do u think that ASUS one u linked is the best?

If you need wifi, then the asrock one is the only one with wifi. If you don't need wifi then basically anything is fine. 

16 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

If you need wifi, then the asrock one is the only one with wifi. If you don't need wifi then basically anything is fine. 

ASrock is the best by amount/rating of reviews, I don't see any special features in the others except "smartfan 5" which probably is nothing anyway

So asrock it is?

Archived