Need help with upgrading my CPU

JayTuut

Currently have an Intel i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz

Black friday sales (So i need messages quick cause newegg only have sales for 24 hours lol)

https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113435 ~ i7-7700k @ 4.2Ghz ~ 405

vs

https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=19-117-726&cm_mmc=snc-twitter-_-sr-_-na-_-na ~ AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.2Ghz ~235

My motherboard is an intel one

The price difference is (all prices in AUD) $170.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2984&cmp[]=2874

According to this, the AMD has a better CPU mark, but the intel has better speed(s)?

But, if i choose the AMD which would be the clear choice as its much cheaper and apparently better by the cpu mark. I have to get a new motherboard, the cheapest one with good views is the ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard which is $85.

This would only make it $85 cheaper. This would include the hassle of having to put everything back into my motherboard with probably a worse motherboard (as its a lot cheaper) (mine is a b150m bazooka ~150), and not only the labour of that, but some things get corrupted or unsaved with motherboard changing, as I had this problem last time with Windows 10 being deactivated and me having to buy a new license to get full features and remove that annoying white text.

Thoughts?

You would need to buy a new motherboard anyways, but Intel mainly focuses on higher Overclocking with Overclockable boards and higher single core performance (hence increasing gaming performance) while the AMD Ryzen is more geared towards Gaming while streaming or rendering to make use of the more cores and threads. If you are mostly doing productivity tasks that can use the extra power, go with Ryzen. If you are doing mostly gaming / overclocking, go with the 7700k. (And remember to use the discount on the CPU w/ Newegg)

2 hours ago, Haxor Gaming said:

You would need to buy a new motherboard anyways, but Intel mainly focuses on higher Overclocking with Overclockable boards and higher single core performance (hence increasing gaming performance) while the AMD Ryzen is more geared towards Gaming while streaming or rendering to make use of the more cores and threads. If you are mostly doing productivity tasks that can use the extra power, go with Ryzen. If you are doing mostly gaming / overclocking, go with the 7700k. (And remember to use the discount on the CPU w/ Newegg)

Basically this. For high refresh rate gaming you want a 6700k/7700k and a z170/z270 board or an 8700k and a z370 board, and an aftermarket cooler to facilitate overclocking. 

P.s. Windows keys are tied to the motherboard, non-Pro licenses officially can't be transferred to a different motherboard, but you can always contact Microsoft and try to get them to deal with it if it gives you a problem.

3 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

P.s. Windows keys are tied to the motherboard, non-Pro licenses officially can't be transferred to a different motherboard, but you can always contact Microsoft and try to get them to deal with it if it gives you a problem.

That's good to know because I am currently running Win 10 Pro, but does it still lock if it is on a business laptop?

On 11/24/2017 at 1:37 PM, Haxor Gaming said:

That's good to know because I am currently running Win 10 Pro, but does it still lock if it is on a business laptop?

Generally laptops/prebuilts come with an OEM license, which can NOT be moved to a new computer. You can still always try to contact Microsoft claiming that you had to replace the motherboard and you used some other (different model) motherboard. 

On 11/24/2017 at 7:36 PM, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

Why do you say this? ELI5 :P

Because you need to overclock the 6700k/7700k/8700k, and that will require a z-series chipset (thus a new board). 

3 minutes ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

Generally laptops/prebuilts come with an OEM license, which can NOT be moved to a new computer. You can still always try to contact Microsoft claiming that you had to replace the motherboard and you used some other (different model) motherboard. 

The computer had a Windows 7 Pro install. I installed fresh Windows 10 Pro using the key for Windows 7 Pro on the laptop. Would it still be OEM locked?

2 minutes ago, Haxor Gaming said:

The computer had a Windows 7 Pro install. I installed fresh Windows 10 Pro using the key for Windows 7 Pro on the laptop. Would it still be OEM locked?

In theory it should be, but you could still give it a shot to try and transfer it. 

4 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

Because you need to overclock the 6700k/7700k/8700k, and that will require a z-series chipset (thus a new board). 

I'm a noob when it comes to overclocking but why cant i do it on my board?

13 hours ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

I'm a noob when it comes to overclocking but why cant i do it on my board?

Intel restricts overclocking to z-series chipsets and motherboards with a non-z chipset generally don't have good enough power delivery to facilitate overclocking (although that's not always true).

11 hours ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

Reveal hidden contents

qq7i5lh.png

@AwesomeMcCoolName I'm assuming these are Z series (as they start with Z after MSI lol). Whats the difference between ATX and Micro ATX? :C And whats the best one cause these are pretty expensive :C

ATX and MicroATX is just the form factor -- mATX is just shorter (about 2.4" shorter).

Most motherboards with a z-series chipset are fine, so I'd pick one that you like the aesthetics/layout of and then ask about that specific one. Another thing is to consider Skylake/Kabylake vs. Coffee Lake and that will come down to pricing.

6700k -- 4c/8t and will work on Z170 or Z270

7700k -- 4c/8t and will work on Z270 (and possibly Z170), a 7700k is basically identical to a 6700k

8600k -- 6c/6t and will work on Z370

8700k -- 6c/12t and will work on Z370

In terms of gaming they should all perform about the same. 

8 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

6700k -- 4c/8t and will work on Z170 or Z270

7700k -- 4c/8t and will work on Z270 (and possibly Z170), a 7700k is basically identical to a 6700k

8600k -- 6c/6t and will work on Z370

8700k -- 6c/12t and will work on Z370

I bought the kaby lake, and what does the 4c/8t and 6c and etc mean? :/

I bought the kaby lake, and what does the 4c/8t and 6c and etc mean? :/

4 core/8 thread, 6 core/6 thread, etc...

8 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

4 core/8 thread, 6 core/6 thread, etc...

So since i got a 7700k kaby lake I should get a Z270?

Damn maybe I should of got the AMD if i knew i'd have to get a new motherboard anyway, unless i just use the one i have now and dont overclock it.

13 hours ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

So since i got a 7700k kaby lake I should get a Z270?

To get the most out of your money, yes. For a relatively good board, I can recommend the ASUS Prime Z270-A: (Newegg Link)https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813132936. It can definitely get you your money's worth, and its on sale currently.

12 hours ago, Haxor Gaming said:

To get the most out of your money, yes. For a relatively good board, I can recommend the ASUS Prime Z270-A: (Newegg Link)https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813132936. It can definitely get you your money's worth, and its on sale currently.

Wow $180 for a board :C

Probaby like $210 with delivery.... 

I might just stick to using my motherboard for some time since i spent $525 just recently on the i7 7700k and the SSD

10 hours ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

Wow $180 for a board :C

Probaby like $210 with delivery.... 

Sorry, I'm used to US prices. Didn't know that it wasn't that expensive in Australia.

14 hours ago, Haxor Gaming said:

Sorry, I'm used to US prices. Didn't know that it wasn't that expensive in Australia.

Rip.

I'll probably just sell my old GPU I need to get rid of (GTX 770) which will be about $200 pre-owned and buy the board i guess.

I'll probably just sell my old GPU I need to get rid of (GTX 770) which will be about $200 pre-owned and buy the board i guess.

If you have another Graphics card that you can use, this may work out.

14 hours ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

Rip.

Upgrading your GPU is a higher priority. A 7700k at stock speeds is enough for 60fps, it's higher refresh rates that will require you to overclock it (and the higher refresh rates will require a more powerful GPU than a 1060).

10 hours ago, Haxor Gaming said:

If you have another Graphics card that you can use, this may work out.

Yeah i was saying my old one, so i have a 1060.

7 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

Upgrading your GPU is a higher priority. A 7700k at stock speeds is enough for 60fps, it's higher refresh rates that will require you to overclock it (and the higher refresh rates will require a more powerful GPU than a 1060).

Gosh awesome how much money u think i have :P

And 1060 gets me 90 FPS in PUBG, 120 in siege, 200+ in csgo, over 120+ in other games, 80ish fps in wildlands 

and i dont really play any other games then those.

So it's not really a problem, I just needed a better CPU to stop the 100% user, make my system and gaming faster (not more FPS drops as it wont be at 100% usage hopefully) and the SSD will speed up my PC too.

I might upgrade to a 1070TI though later next year (in like 6 months time).

• 3 months later...
On 11/29/2017 at 1:25 AM, Haxor Gaming said:

Since i had to return my last motherboard (fml) cause it was broken. I only got refunded

What do u think of these two? My brother says the MSI one is pretty good and probably much better then any other at that price

https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Productcompare.aspx?CompareItemList=-1|13-132-936^13-132-936%2C13-144-033^13-144-033

(comparing between urs and the one im looking at)

Depends on whether or not you care about aesthetics, but I would personally go with the ASUS board because it has more features than the MSI board. If you have other white parts or a lightly colored case, the mobo would match well. If you really care about having an all black build (or WIFI) , get the MSI board. ASUS also has better utilites, (AURA, UEFI BIOS, EasyOverclocking) than MSI from what I've heard. 

On 3/30/2018 at 8:25 PM, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

Since i had to return my last motherboard (fml) cause it was broken. I only got refunded

What do u think of these two? My brother says the MSI one is pretty good and probably much better then any other at that price

https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Productcompare.aspx?CompareItemList=-1|13-132-936^13-132-936%2C13-144-033^13-144-033

(comparing between urs and the one im looking at)

I wouldn't worry too much about the specific board. Any Z270 board from Asus, Asrock, MSI, or Gigabyte would be fine, so just get the cheapest/best looking/one with the features you want. (Any Z170 board will also more than likely work if you like the price/aesthetics of any of those better -- it only wouldn't work if it happened to have been manufactured before September 2016~, which is seriously unlikely at this point)

4 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

I wouldn't worry too much about the specific board. Any Z270 board from Asus, Asrock, MSI, or Gigabyte would be fine, so just get the cheapest/best looking/one with the features you want. (Any Z170 board will also more than likely work if you like the price/aesthetics of any of those better -- it only wouldn't work if it happened to have been manufactured before September 2016~, which is seriously unlikely at this point)

Yeah i saw a cheap one about $70 (AUD) cheaper then those, but seems eh and my brother says the MSI one in that compare would be the best in terms of features out of any ones I showed him

Don't really wanna get a cheap one as after this I'm probably not gonna upgrade my PC for a long time :P Too much hassle and not enough money, maybe my GPU in the future but thats it.

So not sure, I guess ill just go with the MSI and try and scrounge up the money

Archived